You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Democracy release date?

Axlin16 wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

See, for me James' estimates are more realistic. 500,000  in this day and age seems really high to me.

Captain Winkler, you cant really compare GH to CD. The GH appeals to an entirely different audience, in my opinion. Greatest Hits sets are meant for the causual fan who enjoy these timeless classics but doesn't own the band's entire catalog. CD is more appealing to the diehards. So I'm not sure CD will even do a fraction of the GH sales, but I'll guess we'll see. Anyone know the first week sales for the GH?

I also question if people really care about CD. I mean yes, it certainly does get attention in the press, but what about the actual music buying public? I'm a total internet nerd and I visit a couple of other music boards and there has been very little interest in the news about CD being released. Not many people commented on either board, and the majority of the little comments were all negative. They were either bashing Axl or the leaks.

I don't know maybe there will be more interest when we get closer to the actual release date, but so far it has seemed pretty anti-climatic. The myth was greater than reality methinks.

And I think alot of people are going to come away from this with that perspective. The myth was far greater.

The audience will stay the same imo, no one gained, no one lost. The GN"R fans will be split, the purists will proclaim it to be blasphemy, while the Axl fans will claim it to be a natural progression, and probably better than the Illusions.

As for the 'hype' on this. I totally see what you're saying. Me too. The only people talking about this album are the GN'R diehards. The people who are going to be first day purchasers anyways. This certaintly isn't getting any kind of mainstream hype that I thought it would back in say... 2002.

The only reporters doing articles on it are already GN'R fans (like that MTV.com guy), but the regular folk just kind of glance and say "so it's a new GN'R record". Most don't even know the storied history behind CD.

This album will sell well, but i'm sticking to the 200k-300k first week range, which I think it's right in the ballpark. The curiosity will be there, and it will sell well, but people expecting this to be 1991-revisted. Midnight sales again. Best Buy's selling out of copies...

Expect to be sorely disappointed. This album will sell well, but with the amount that Best Buy has rumored to of purchased, they are going to be praying it doesn't go KISS-solo '78 on them.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

axlin look man i am manager of best buy so listen i am the winner and i know that when i say that man i mean himso djuts go and do whatever becausen when the times comes the pennies hit the walla nd the man go home.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

im fairly certain the album is handed in and the train has left the station..

so for the first time since ive been following this debacle, I feel confident I will have the album by years end

this is exciting stuff... not as exciting as it would have been 3-4 years ago (although thats tough to gauge), but for me, getting the complete finalised package is something I thought might never happen.

it will be surreal. I cant wait to get on this forum and discuss it all.

That's it.

It's coming!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Billboard projected that Death Magnetic would take the chart's coveted top spot, reporting that "informed sources" estimated week-one sales of 450,000 to 500,000 copies. In the end, the disc ended up scanning close to 490,000 units. Clearly, after waiting five years for new Metallica, fans were chomping at the bit for this one. Next week's #2 LP, Young Jeezy's The Recession, sold just 90,000 copies, making Metallica's win something of a blowout.

After selling nearly 500,000 copies of their latest LP over just a three-day period last week, Metallica's Death Magnetic spends a second week at the top of Billboard's albums chart, scanning more than 337,000 units during its first full week in record stores.

Prior to Nielsen SoundScan's release of the latest sales figures Wednesday morning (September 24), many in the industry thought Metallica would fail to keep pace and cling to the chart's peak position, especially with Ne-Yo's Year of the Gentleman hitting stores last week. And while Ne-Yo did pose a serious threat to Metallica's dominance, he'll have to settle for second best, as his album posted first-week sales of 250,000-plus. Meanwhile, another big-name release, Nelly's Brass Knuckles, follows at #3, debuting on next week's chart with 83,700 sold.

(info is from mtv.com)

thats a total of 827,000 units in a week and a half, but that was with a huge internet presence..quite staggering numbers in this day and age ... i would wager that gnr will move similar numbers but not as much as metallica as gnr remains mum on the subject...

still though, there is about 6 weeks to promote so if they can get online and promote the fuck out of it they may even top metallica...they gotta get moving though..like now

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

.they gotta get moving though..like now

Yeah, and they gotta give the cover, tracklist,etc. as soon as possible. Within days. Cant really promote it much at all without an album cover.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Since Best Buy finally put the SKU numbers on their website, I began to look at them.

madagas wrote:

looks like Best Buy has some Chinese in their system...here are their sku numbers, probably three different colors before anyone goes apeshit.

What struck me is that the last two numbers should flip when comparing the same version with different prices; as in, Version 1 should appear with codes ending at 16 and 61.

Well, not so.

Version 1, for instance, has the Cover A on the CD version, but the Cover C on the vinyl. If it's the completely same thing as the CD version, why bother switching the covers to match some other art version of the CD?

9111016 - Chinese Democracy 'Version 1' - $13.99
9111016 - Chinese Democracy (Cover A) (Bb) [CD]

9111061 - Chinese Democracy 'Version 1' - $19.99
9111061 - Chinese Democracy (Cover C) (Bb) [Vinyl]

9111034 - Chinese Democracy 'Version 2' - $13.99
9111034 - Chinese Democracy (Cover B) (Bb) [CD]

9111043 - Chinese Democracy 'Version 2' - $19.99
9111043 - Chinese Democracy (Cover A) (Bb) [Vinyl]

9111052 - Chinese Democracy 'Version 3' - $13.99
9111052 - Chinese Democracy (Cover C) (Bb) [CD]

9111025 - Chinese Democracy 'Version 3' - $19.99
9111025 - Chinese Democracy (Cover B) (Bb) [Vinyl]