You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: How does the new material rank against the old?

tejastech08 wrote:
von Solo wrote:

I fail to see the cheese factor some others do. Not calling you out, I just don't see it.

"Lonely teardrops, oooh, are callin' you."

Easily one of the worst (and cheesiest) lines he's ever written.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. I really love that song very, very much.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
von Solo wrote:

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. I really love that song very, very much.

I love the song too. Bucket's solo and Axl's vocals at the end are possibly my favorite ending to any GN'R song. It's got great stuff going on but it's not perfect. The lyrics are the weakest part of it.

chicken_dinner
 Rep: 19 

i personally dont care about the old material anymore, because i have listened so many times to it, and also played it on guitar, it bores me....except maybe 7/8 songs like estranged, breakdown, perfect crime, civil war.

i cant stand appetite anymore.

so i am looking forward to new material without caring what was done in the past because i am bored of them in general.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
chicken_dinner wrote:

i personally dont care about the old material anymore, because i have listened so many times to it 

it bores me...

You're preaching to my choir. I've went years without listening to it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I love AFD, like all GN'R records. CD will be no different.

But i've listened to both AFD & the Illusion's so many times over, that I can't help but to want to 'patch holes' in the album's for my listening pleasure.

AFD:

-You're Crazy [electric]
-Anything Goes
+Move To The City [live era]
+Patience
+Used To Love Her
+You're Crazy [acoustic]

UYI (basically merge the albums):

Civil War
Yesterdays
Don't Cry [original]
Bad Obession
Breakdown
Locomotive
November Rain
The Garden
Estranged
You Could Be Mine
Coma

After you listen to alot of GN'R material over the years from the old catalog, eventually you just kind of move on. The only time you DO listen is for the stand outs.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08, it would have been awesome if AFD replaced You're Crazy (electric) and Anything Goes with YCBM (which did exist at that point) and You're Crazy (acoustic).

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

This thread is laughable (no offense Neemo).

Laughable but can be worth a discussion.  But should be changed to how it compares to UYI's 1&2.  AFD is just untouchable in my opinion.

i think you guys miss the point...its not ow untouchable AFD is...its how you would personally put the new songs when you made a best of gnr song list

and its not a thread about how cheesy some may feel old or new lyrics are...it how comparible is the old material with the new

if you notice my top 11 doesnt even include any new tracks...i dont even think a new track would break my top 15 ... but as a said gnr is like a soundtrack to my life..its hard to rank any new song up there with my all time favorites.

i was jsut saying...if someone came up to you in best buy the day of release and asked you how you would compare this material with old gnr where would you place the songs? how would you sell the album to someone who isnt a fan of this new band?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Neemo, you make valid points. But I think if someone ALREADY isn't a fan of the new band, most likely won't be going into BBY to buy the album anyways.

If OLD GN'R is a soundtrack to your life, that's cool, I think alot of us can relate, I can. But some of the new songs are just as much a soundtrack to some of us, because we've heard them for years in some form or another. When the world is getting me down, for years my mind immediately went into Estranged-mode, but for the last couple years, my mind immediately does to Madagascar. Just this last week, my best friend's wife pulled some MAJOR bullshit with him, and I could think about this weekend was Street of Dreams. It fits that cunt well.

If you can't wrap your mind around someone being able to put new GN'R songs with the old on a 'best of' list, I think it's more of a comment on the fact that at the end of the day - you just don't really think the new stuff is all that great, and you might be fighting it in some way. Me, the role is reversed, at times i'm embarrassed at how much I LOVE the new stuff, because it doesn't seem to be the "cool" or "popular" opinion to have among diehards or casual fans alike.

CD is going to end up splitting the fan world right down the middle imo, if it hasn't already begun. This album's imminent release is unearthing emotions in GN'R fans, where people's true opinions are going to start cropping up.

I think we've already started to enter those "uncharted waters".

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

if cd was released in 87 and appetite this year a lot of you would have differing opinions

Board footer