You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: Changes to the tracks you'd like to see:

jimmythegent wrote:

Saw a similar post somewhere else and thought it'd be a good discussion for here.

As we have heard, there have been some significant changes to Chinese Democracy in it's final form.  The sleazy Ron giutars, the higher register vocal doubling and the added drums being the most obvious.

So this post is all about what you would like to see added (or taken away) from the versions of the songs we have heard thus far.

If Axl is truly going to 'bury Appetite', I feel some obvious improvements can be made...

Here goes..

Shacklers Revenge:
Would like hear the chorus vocals a bit more prominent in the mix and the intro squeals (elephants?  14) to be toned down a little.

Better:
A bit less synth and scratching. Some of those flourishes and hip hop beats give it a very late 90's feel. Strip it back a bit.

Street of dreams:
Bring back the 2002 intro. Cut the rasp out of the opening few lines. The pianos sound a bit 'midi'. Has huge potential - I hope this one comes out how I dreamed it would.

If the world:
Sounds pretty complete and finished to me. Am not a huge fan, but I can't really see how this could be improved.

There was a time:
Again, suffers from sounding a bit late 90's with those hip-hop flourishes. Strip them out. The vocals are a bit weak sounding in parts. Bring the drums, bass and orchestration up.

Catcher in the Rye:
Huge potential and having a hi-def version will almost be enough. Kind of drags a little to the fade out, so am hoping there might be another part there or a bridge thrown in. Can't wait.

Riad N' the Bedouins:
The vocals Im hoping will be a bit stronger, and I'd like to hear some slightly gruntier guitars. Sounds like it wants to be mean and snarling but is not quite there yet.

IRS:
Don't have high expectations as I think it's a weak song. So plenty of room for improvement. Vocals are strained and thin sounding, Robin's soloing is uninspired.

Madagascar:
Well, not a huge fan either. Again, the vocals aren't up to scratch and the whole thing just seems to plod. It needs something to lift it dynamically. Perhaps Ron has added something to 'take it to the next level'?

Prostitute:
Has the potential to be a great, great song. It is lacking 2 things however, that would send it over the edge. A memorable intro and a classic guitar solo. With those two intact, it would be a hard song to beat.

As always, my 2 cents 19

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

i think its safe to assume all the hip-hop-esq drumming on  he tracks will be removed.

if axl touches any solo's on TWAT, there'll be hell to pay.

better should also sound more like the 2006 leak then the 2008, the screeching bridge needs to be even more powerful and i pray that its not removed.

the repetitive lick during the IRS chorus needs to go as well, song is amazing live, shitty in the studio.

i havent listened to the leaks in a while, as i am trying to detox myself of them to make the album fresher, so i cant really remember what else needs a drastic improvement. although after hearing the final version of the single its pretty obvious everything is going to be taken to the next tier of awesome.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Shackler's Revenge- Since we've pretty much heard the definitive version, I doubt anything is different. Not even close to my favorite track, but I don't see much room for improvement. Guitars on this track are phenomenal.

Better- Go back to the original 06 leak. Less synth, more balls. This does need some improvement as it feels like you're listening to a song built from two separate song fragments.

Street of Dreams- The common complaint for this track is the 06-07 version blows and the 01 and 02 versions are far superior. Axl should take this advice since its something that just about everyone agrees on.

If the World- Perfect as is.

There Was A Time- Needs a major overhaul on the vocals. Said this when it first leaked, but it always reminded me of an Empire reject that Queensryche left in the studio's trash can. The outro is magical, but the rest is pretty weak.

Catcher in the Rye- Music the weak link on this track. Hopefully the entire song(minus lyrics) has been redone. Could wind up being one of the best songs in the entire discography.

Riad N' the Bedouins- Needs more work on the lyrics. Music is perfection. Sounds like its an outtake from a Praxis record which is probably what they were aiming for.

IRS- Not a big fan of this track. Lyrics are ok but just way too repetitive. Add a few more verses instead of constantly repeating yourself. Will be a travesty if Bucket's solo is removed.

Madagascar- Bring back that 2001 solo, and if you wont remove all those quotes, drop them much lower in the mix. This song needs new vocals as well.

Prostitute- For the love of God please remove that awful opening verse. It kills the song. I have not listened to this song in a very long time and only gave it a few spins because that 'seems like forever and a day...' line makes me cringe.

Captain Winkler

am i the only one who thinks shackler's revenge needs to be removed from the album all together? it is not cohesive with any of the other tracks, and stands out like a sore thumb. alone, as one off promotional tool in rockband the song is fine, but the sound is far too harsh and industrial compared with the rest of the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Shackler's Revenge is a finished track on Rock Band 2. That is the final version.

Street of Dreams: Take the intro back to the 2002 live sound, where it's guitar based and not piano. The vocals are fine imo, as long as they are not doubled or tripled. I think that would just push it past 'overproduction' and into 'good god' territory. I like the blend on the vocals between 2002 & 2006. Raspy for lows, falsetto for highs. It works for the song. The outro is weak, but always has been. I don't know what could be done there.

Madagascar: Get rid of the hip hop drums. Get rid of hip hop drums. Oh yeah - GET RID OF THE HIP HOP DRUMS. One of my favorite GN'R songs, ever (unlike many), I just love this song. But it is held back, even on my list, because of this. The drums need to be totally restructed in the song. The entire beat changed. It might alter the song, but at this point there's nothing to lose, and imo, it has no where to go but up on the drum end. Might even push it further up my Top-10. The song has the potential to be a GN'R great imo. This imo is one of the few songs, like the final-CD, that could actually use double or triple vocals. Yep that's right, one the few songs that would be benefitted by tri-vocaling, with a rasp, mid, and high, ala KOHD-studio. I think it would work great with the song.

Riad N' The Bedouins: my only "ehh" new GN'R song. Love them all, except this one. Vocals are weak, but that's just because they are so abrasive. Instrumentally the song is ace. I don't know what could be done here.

Catcher N' The Rye: Redo everything in the song, with only May's guitar remaining. I think it would kick major ass. Uping everything to the present (in a sense, if you count 2002 - present), but leaving May's guitar on there would give it that Queen-feel that made the demo so great.

Better: Like others said, pull back on the synth, pull up on the guitar, the vocals might be benefitted by more rasp/vintage-Axl sound. The live versions in 2006-07 were fuckin' amazing.

I.R.S.: ehhh, kind of the step child of Breakdown or Locomotive, but not as good. Maybe more rasp, to get it closer vocally to the live sound, but I don't see much that could be done here. Not a bad song, just a B-side.

TWAT: Hip hop drums need to go, ala Madagascar. Otherwise this song is perfection. Estranged II.

If The World: song is what it is. Very basic, and very good. I'd like to hear a rap remix one day by some one, preferrably Eminem. It'd just be so cool to see Em & Axl on a stage.

Prostitute: Perfect already to me. My favorite of the new stuff, and an instant Top-5 favorite ever of GN'R. Not much they could do to this to raise the bar, or even bring it down imo. Done. If I actually had a request... extend the outro... I want that baby 5 extra minutes long. It's so beautiful to me. I think it'd be even more rockin' if we find out it's the work of Chris.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

am i the only one who thinks shackler's revenge needs to be removed from the album all together? it is not cohesive with any of the other tracks, and stands out like a sore thumb. alone, as one off promotional tool in rockband the song is fine, but the sound is far too harsh and industrial compared with the rest of the album.

yeah, in part

am not too comfortable with it following CD in the running order either. It may turn people off from the outset

Should have had a more traditional sounding rocker in after CD (IRS?)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't understand the inclusion of Shackler's either. It will definitely interrupt the flow, and other than the first listening experience of the album, is a song I will frequently skip. Not that its bad, its just not all that good. Guitars are cool but everything else is blah.

Silkworms would have been better than Shacklers.

Captain Winkler

James Lofton wrote:

Silkworms would have been better than Shacklers.

or checkmate/no love remains....alas we can dream /sigh

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If The World: song is what it is. Very basic, and very good. I'd like to hear a rap remix one day by some one, preferrably Eminem. It'd just be so cool to see Em & Axl on a stage.

Have you heard the Buddyhead remix?

Captain Winkler

yea so me and jimy, we be in chillen in cd.com chat and who should come along mr saint lauren. anyway we didnt think starting a new thread was necessary but he says he has the album, 'dont try to stop us now'=scraped, song 2=prostitute, besides complaining of a headache and then going to sleep thats all he told us, oh he did offer to play a clip over the phone of the new maddy. he also seemed apprehensive about leaking it, hopefully he doesnt.

Board footer