You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: The Rolling Stone Review-Chinese Democracy

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I was scared of this review too but as some have mentioned I believe Fricke was chose for it on purpose.

I'm not at all discounting his opinion, but I believe they knew he liked the material going in.

Expect the Kurt Loder interview next. 16

LOL, yeah. Loder has always sucked up to Axl.

I'm a bit disappointed that the reviewer talked so much about TWAT and didn't mention the incredible fucking solo from Bucket. And also that he didn't talk about "Sorry," which I feel is the best song on the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Amazing article.

Fricke kickin' ass like always.

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I was scared of this review too but as some have mentioned I believe Fricke was chose for it on purpose.

I'm not at all discounting his opinion, but I believe they knew he liked the material going in.

Expect the Kurt Loder interview next. 16

LOL, yeah. Loder has always sucked up to Axl.

I'm a bit disappointed that the reviewer talked so much about TWAT and didn't mention the incredible fucking solo from Bucket. And also that he didn't talk about "Sorry," which I feel is the best song on the album.

Sorry may be my favorite track too and Bucket's solo is killer on that one as well...:buckethead:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, that's a damn good review. Couldn't have possibly asked for a better review than that. Interesting that CITR was left out completely. Have a feeling they preferred that 99 demo as well and just felt like leaving the song out instead of bringing up something like that.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Having not heard the newest leaks I can't comment, but it was always a risk having ancient demos accessible to anyone on the off chance people liked it more than the final version. Originally that was more a concern of BH fans if he got removed from the album but as it seems like he's stayed in the most part that's been forgotten. It'll be interesting to see what Better sounds like on the album, cos if that's not the crunchy, heavy, guitar driven rocker we first heard in 06 there'll be alot of people around these forums none too pleased.

As for the review, you couldn't ask for more. Can't help wondering if Azoff isn't at the back of this somewhere in terms of how good the review is. Wasn't there a suspision RS were snuggling up to GNR/Azoff around the time of Skwerl leaks? Either way it's a great review for the band and it's refreshing to see the music being reviewed and not just 'Where's Slash', 'Axls mental' comments which I suspect we'll see a bit of in the coming week(s). At least one of the big hitters as posted up a favourable review :thumb up:

justbill
 Rep: 16 

justbill wrote:

That review was a little better than I thought it was going to be... I was expecting a negative review, but I guess I didn't see that one coming.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

ive always thought that in order for this album to be successful, then credible media was going to have to steer fans in the right direction. a rave review in rolling stone is a great step. fans of rock music are afraid to give this record a chance. they need to see that it is actually acceptable to like the music despite the fact that slash is no longer in the band.

for instance over at ultimate-guitar, probably one of the largest anti-axl fanbases (and I'm sure you could guess why) i get the feeling that posters think it is "cool" to shit on axl. many couldnt care less, but its the cool thing to do, so they go along with it at the risk of being bashed by the other members. now you have a major critic reviewing the album, and i wouldnt be at all surprised if you start seeing old fans coming out of the woodwork in support of the album.

Sky Dog wrote:

just for shits and giggles, here is Fricke's review of Contraband! He gave it 4 out of 5 stars as well. Let the brawling begin.:nervous:
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/alb … contraband

Sky Dog wrote:

and Fricke's review of UYI from 1991...4 stars! Detect a pattern. 16
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/gun … illusion_i

Board footer