You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: The Rolling Stone Review-Chinese Democracy

bigbri wrote:

I don't know why I feel Blender will do it, but I just do. It just seems right for them right now.  I don't know.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

That was a pretty good review. Nice read too. I have a question for alot of you though. If a not so positive review comes out, will it simply be that the person doing the review lacks credibility or any real integrity? I'm getting the sense for any review to be taken seriously it's gonna have to be all out praise for the album. Any knock whatsoever will be shrugged  off as an opinion from some dumb fuck who doesn't know shit about music. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I'm very curious to see how this does and hear real people's thoughts not just paid journalists.  Hopefully people will feel the same as this guy.  Good music is good music so.....

Of course not. It'll be all lies, Slash-lovin' bullshit.

Axl doesn't have to be fair, I don't have to be. 22

G n' F'n' R's 2008! 9

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

They must be very happy with this review, but then again, RS have been favourable towards Axl for a long time.

The real litmus test will be the newspaper reviews and the more generic publications' perception - it is likely to be a far less 'influenced' view.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I wondered the same thing about Catcher, James. No way he skips over that one if he didn't like the demo better.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

It's an excellent review. Well written. Well worded. I agree with this review, for the most part. Opposite of what has been said, I think the fans are more critical of these positive reviews than any potentially negative ones. Evidence of that is all this calling out of Fricke being essentially paid off or RS's asslicking attitudes in general. Mark my words, the daggers will come out in the general press, so revel in every good word you can find. I think Fricke's review is a more evenhanded perspective of this album's real qualities than many others you'll find. I'm getting the sense that was a certain fraction of the fanbase demands is a stream of mediocre reviews. Obviously, to out and out love the album you've been payolaed, but to criticize the album you're just not getting the big picture and are a Slash junkie. What'll it be? I believe Rolling Stone has first crack at the review over a rag like Blender is because for better or worse they're still Rolling fucking Stone, and he's still David Fricke. James, you're attachment to Blender is sort of puzzling. Never in a million years would I look to that magazine as a reliable source for ... anything.

Sky Dog wrote:

There is definitiely a significant portion of the fanbase who want the reviews to be bad and the album to fail......alot of them come through this board.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

There is definitiely a significant portion of the fanbase who want the reviews to be bad and the album to fail......alot of them come through this board.

I get that sense too, but nobody seems be willing to admit to that.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Why would you admit it? If you did, you'd be giving credence to the people who ask "why are you here?"

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

You're right, usually you get the excuse/explanation, "I'm not being negative.  I'm just being realistic."  As if "our" thoughts, views, beliefs, etc. are unrealistic.  I see how it is.

I will say this though, "we" as supporters are quick to jump on anyone who says one negative thing about Axl, the band, or the music.  I read an article in a newspaper awhile back that took a few shots at Axl.  I wrote the reporter asking him why he wants to see Axl fail.  He was nice enough to write me back and assured me he didn't want that.  I directed him to a couple of the leaks and he listened and said he actually liked them.

So there's probably a bit of an overreation on BOTH sides, from the supporters and the "realists" as they like to be referred to as.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer