You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

buzzsaw wrote:

Vector - it's over.  Better is out as a single.  Crickets.  It's not like GnR is some new band that needs to grow it's listener base organically, it's an established brand name.  If it was going to take off, it would have happened by now.  It isn't going to happen, nor did they try to make it happen for whatever reason.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

If you look at what the radio stations are playing, they is evidence UMG hasn't pushed Better as hard as they did for CD. Evidence that they too are pulling their punches.

15 years is a long time. Considering Axl's rep, he needed people to rediscover their interest in GnR for this album to be successful.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Vector - it's over.  Better is out as a single.  Crickets.  It's not like GnR is some new band that needs to grow it's listener base organically, it's an established brand name.  If it was going to take off, it would have happened by now.  It isn't going to happen, nor did they try to make it happen for whatever reason.

Exactly. Karma.

I was as positive as I could be (even got into it with you a couple of times), but I gave it a shot, supported it, spread the word - it failed.

That's showbiz. Fans still holding out that "this is far from over", "give it some time" are just good folks trying to stay positive, and that's admirable.

The reality is - BOMB.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Bye Bye Guns n` Roses
by Paul Cashmere - December 9 2008
photo by Ros O'Gorman

Guns n` Roses `Chinese Democracy` looks like vacating the US Top 10 after just one week.

Hitsdailydouble.com is estimating that the album will sell around 80,000 units this week in America, and with 69.42% of the week’s sales counted, has the album projected for number 12.

‘Chinese Democracy’ had a very ordinary debut in America last week when it only sold 261,200 units. (Gold in the USA in 500,000, Platinum is 1,000,000). Given the lead-up to the release, this was a very poor figure indeed.

In Australia, the album faired just as bad. In week one, including broken embargo sales, it did around 24,000 units. This week, it fell to number 7 after selling a further 11,391 units. (Gold in Australia is 35,000. Platinum is 70,000).

In Australia, Universal Music shipped 100,000 units into store upon high-expectations for the release. It has just sold Gold.

In the United States, an exclusive deal was done with the Best Buy chain to purchase 1.5 million units in advance for $9 per unit. It is only over halfway to Gold Stateside.

What a brilliant deal. Considering Axl is reported to have spent $14m making the album, Best Buy have paid off his debt. Best Buy have 1.2 million unsold CDs sitting around in the warehouse. That's not Axl's problem. He has the cheque.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=7118

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Exactly. Karma.

I was as positive as I could be (even got into it with you a couple of times), but I gave it a shot, supported it, spread the word - it failed.

That's showbiz. Fans still holding out that "this is far from over", "give it some time" are just good folks trying to stay positive, and that's admirable.

The reality is - BOMB.

To say it is over after two weeks is just ignorant. It very well may be, but the second single just went to radio last week. I still say give it to x-mas/the new year. Two weeks is just ...well, two weeks.:/

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

better continues to climb waaf's charts in boston and is currently number three.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Exactly. Karma.

The reality is - BOMB.

To say it is over after two weeks is just ignorant. It very well may be, but the second single just went to radio last week. I still say give it to x-mas/the new year. Two weeks is just ...well, two weeks.:/

I just don't see what single is going to be a huge smash hit with still no promo, no video, and no performances.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

My thoughts exactly Smoking. It still lags CD in total spins because the label isn't pushing it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Exactly. Karma.

The reality is - BOMB.

When did CD the single come out?  It's had more than 2 weeks to grow legs - it's had 10+ years.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
killingvector wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There is no single to get people hooked.  Doesn't logic have to enter into your thought process at some point?  People that love the album admit there is no killer single on it.  Think about that for awhile.

Personally I think Better is a very good single. Unfortunately, it hasn't had the same push from UMG which CD did. But I do agree that, pound for pound, this album requires digestion in order to appreciate. However, I do not agree the material is not marketable or lacking enough quality to sell. In fact, I think it is quite good.

"I think Better is a very good single" + "this album requires digestion in order to appreciate" = no killer single that will get people interested.  It's simple math.

I have to agree with you here.

Something that "requires digestion" does not equal a hit single.  If it takes time to digest, then my guess is the radio station will be changed by a lot of people.  It's gotta grab people by the balls. 

In this case, it's not negative, it's realistic. 

Why are there so many people getting defensive and angry anyway?  The reactions of the general public shouldn't change your enjoyment (or lack of) at all.  It certainly doesn't change my enjoyment of the album.

Board footer