You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Helped? That entire boost was Christmas shoppers. A 9% increase isn't 'shocking'. Its Christmas season and there aren't a ton of new albums out. What would have been shocking is if there had been no boost at all.

However, a boost is a boost any way the cookie crumbles.

James, lets just agree with them so they shut up... HA.  The album was released during the highest spending time of the year and that was done to maximize sales.  If this maximized them, I would have hated to see what would have happened had this thing dropped in february.

Actually, that dead zone of Jan-March will be a good indicator of the album having any staying power. There will be little to no competition, and they better take advantage of it because they will be vaporized by the releases coming in March through the summer. U2 will destroy everybody, and there's gonna be a ton of rap/hip hop releases in that time frame. I don't listen to any new rock bands, but I assume some of them will have releases then as well.

March is definitely this album's cut off point. Hopefully Axl has something up his sleeve he's just waiting to unleash next month.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

March is definitely this album's cut off point. Hopefully Axl has something up his sleeve he's just waiting to unleash next month.

LOL.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

LOL.

James Please don't make that statement. I've heard the same statement grouped with a different month far too many times over the years that just go quietly  by. lol
I say give it til June although I feel we'll get some news before then.(and hopefully a better video)

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Helped? That entire boost was Christmas shoppers. A 9% increase isn't 'shocking'. Its Christmas season and there aren't a ton of new albums out. What would have been shocking is if there had been no boost at all.

However, a boost is a boost any way the cookie crumbles.

James, lets just agree with them so they shut up... HA.  The album was released during the highest spending time of the year and that was done to maximize sales.  If this maximized them, I would have hated to see what would have happened had this thing dropped in february.

Actually, that dead zone of Jan-March will be a good indicator of the album having any staying power. There will be little to no competition, and they better take advantage of it because they will be vaporized by the releases coming in March through the summer. U2 will destroy everybody, and there's gonna be a ton of rap/hip hop releases in that time frame. I don't listen to any new rock bands, but I assume some of them will have releases then as well.

Actually, Universal has a big release coming between Jan and March.  Last i heard, Eminem is releasing his album in January. 

This album is going to have competition either way it works out.  We'll see how it plays out.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:

but if everyone hadn't listened to the leaks, it wouldn't sound old. none of them would. i think every single song on this album is fantastic! i didn't listen to the leaks, except for "better." and that doesn't make me any less of a gnr fan. (and i know no one said that)

i don't participate in most of these debates about the music because i just love all of it so much! i'm grateful to have it. 9

i just don't like to over-analyze everything about it.

.......just my thoughts. 19

I've heard that theory going around, and I just don't buy it. That's what Axl nutswingers say. Not saying you are one, but as much as I deem myself an "Axlite" i'm not so far out of reality to really buy into that theory.

The leaks had NO affect on age. None. The sounds are dated. Period. Even in 2001, when Madagacar, Street of Dreams, CD & Riad debuted through live performances - they were dated. Maybe not by the 10+ years they are in 2008, but even then i'd say they were dated by 5 years, when they were fresh.

I think you're missing the point when we're talking "age". We're not talking about the songs themselves waining in popularity. We're talking about the actual instrumentals "sound" on the album. The material is very good, but it's simply WAY past it's window...

you're wrong in my opinion. i think the reason you think the songs sound dated is because they actually sound like guns n roses, a band we hadn't heard anything from in many years. axl's voice is probably what dates it for you. you relate that sound to that time. and if i'm wrong.........what direction would you have guns n roses go to sound more currernt, in you're expert opinion? cool

HUH?!??!?!

This album sounds NOTHING like Guns N' Roses. That's the problem. Maybe with the sole exception of TWAT and This I Love, everything else is totally different. And there lies the problem.

If Axl was going to do a 'dated' album... then why not KEEP the traditional GN'R sound, and just do the material? Sure it'd sound dated, but it'd sound like classic GN'R. But instead, what he did was totally re-invent the sound of GN'R.... to something that was popular in the mid 90's.

Industrial-influences? WTF? If The World sounds like a Seal song, and even Riad is dated as far as techno goes.

He simply waited too long. This album would've been musically relevant, had it been released, by NO LATER than 2001, and I only say that to save Bucket's guitar work, which is probably the only thing in the album keeping it a bit modern.

I think what Axl should've done is modernize CD... AGAIN.... in order to be musically modern in 2008. If that means the rockers sound like Zombie, and the ballads sound like Nicklesuck... than so be it. It's really the only thing around being dated.

This album is dated, but not because it sounds like a GN'R album. It's because it doesn't sound like a GN'R album, yet at the same time, it's re-invented sound, is totally not modern either.

Some of the tracks sound like Queen. Catcher, This I Love... how will that appeal to a current audience? What's 'hip' about that? Those songs are throwbacks to the 70's, early-80's at the latest. SO... not only do they NOT sound like GN'R, they're also old too, for an entire different reason. You see where i'm going with this.

This is what a suit, sitting at Universal is saying, listening to Chinese Democracy, and having to tell HIS boss, WHY CD is underperforming.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Axlin08- there is part of your post i just can't wrap my head around.  Why the hell would you want Axl to put out ballads that sound like Nickelback?  I heard one of the ballads off Nickelback's new album, and practically every line he wrote was a cliche.  Not something i want Axl to do.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I never said that I wanted it to sound like Nicklesuck.

I said that to get around the 'dated' sound, that's the route he'd have to go. It'd have to sound like modern rock radio.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Oh my God some of you are hilarious. I love how some have made Axl out to be this "underground/ indie" type artist who has more credibility than other artists of his vein or genre. Give your heads a shake.  Also I promised not to coment on this topic agin so my restraint here is pretty admirable I must say. At least in my opinion.  16

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Oh and just so I don't come  off as a total  hater I do think "What this means to me is more than I know you believe" is a wickedly amazing lyric, even if the song itself sucks.  Lyrically it's a decent song save for a few cheesy parts.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/c … &g=Singles

Chinese is at 19 and Better at 20 on this weeks Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart.....the album is 25. Global charts will be out tomorrow.

Board footer