You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

James wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe they can take the Better video and just change the song and release it as whatever the next disaster single is going to be.  Releasing a Better video now would be a waste.

Tell that to Aerosmith.  I remember them releasing a video for "Sweet Emotion" in the early 90's, a good 15 years or so late.  So we've got plenty of time to spare.

Slightly different circumstances. That was from the Pandora's Box release, and Aerosmith was still riding the Pump wave.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

Chinese Democracy has gone GOLD. One day it will reach Platinum. We'll see a tour and one more big surprise from Axl...

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Neemo wrote:

1 - Nickelback - Dark Horse 
2 - Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
3 - Metallica - Death Magnetic
4 - Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus
5 - AC/DC - Black Ice
6 - Hinder - Take It To The Limit
7 - Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits
8 - Hollywood Undead - Swan Songs
9 - Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
10 - Saving Abel - Saving Abel

Thanks Neemo, this says plenty for me.  AC/DC had a SHIT load of help from Wally-world promos (don't think so?  Try to go to the electronics/music area and NOT see it all over the place) and Metallica had quite a bit of (positive) buzz as well , neither were limited to sales in ONE (not very large) store.  Some disagree strongly with my opinion and that's ok, they happen to be friends of mine who often make very good points and don't just shoot off at the mouth, they are backed up with strong arguments.  BUT...I'm right this time!  Ok, maybe only half-right.  The album is a failure if you go by what could've/should've been, however it's not doing bad at all ESPECIALLY considering all the things that went against it.  And no the music wasn't one of those.  I'd love to have seen more rockers but in my opinion it's a solid album.  Appetite/Lies and the UYIs were fuckin' masterpieces, nothing can easily be compared to those albums.  That doesn't mean CD doesn't have its own merits...it does.

My only problem with your post is how u make GNR out to be the victims.

They are not the victims

THEY chose to not promote it

THEY chose to sell out and give it to the highest bidder

THEY CHOSE Best Buy knowing their lack of stores etc

THEY are the ones not doing a tour

THEY are the ones who aren't releasing videos

THEY are the ones that released the worst possible first single

So let's keep in perspective that those other bands had 'HELP" but they made their own success by busting their ass while axl sit on his ass and took the money and ran.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Neemo wrote:

1 - Nickelback - Dark Horse 
2 - Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
3 - Metallica - Death Magnetic
4 - Kid Rock - Rock N Roll Jesus
5 - AC/DC - Black Ice
6 - Hinder - Take It To The Limit
7 - Guns N' Roses - Greatest Hits
8 - Hollywood Undead - Swan Songs
9 - Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
10 - Saving Abel - Saving Abel

Thanks Neemo, this says plenty for me.  AC/DC had a SHIT load of help from Wally-world promos (don't think so?  Try to go to the electronics/music area and NOT see it all over the place) and Metallica had quite a bit of (positive) buzz as well , neither were limited to sales in ONE (not very large) store.  Some disagree strongly with my opinion and that's ok, they happen to be friends of mine who often make very good points and don't just shoot off at the mouth, they are backed up with strong arguments.  BUT...I'm right this time!  Ok, maybe only half-right.  The album is a failure if you go by what could've/should've been, however it's not doing bad at all ESPECIALLY considering all the things that went against it.  And no the music wasn't one of those.  I'd love to have seen more rockers but in my opinion it's a solid album.  Appetite/Lies and the UYIs were fuckin' masterpieces, nothing can easily be compared to those albums.  That doesn't mean CD doesn't have its own merits...it does.

They are not the victims

So let's keep in perspective that those other bands had 'HELP" but they made their own success by busting their ass while axl sit on his ass and took the money and ran.

Karma for truth. 22

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

They are not the victims

If this is the first and only post you have ever read of mine then I could see how you would believe this but otherwise not hardly.

I have ALWAYS said that Axl did this to himself, without question.  My point is simply with these (self-inflicted) negatives against the album it is doing relatively well. 

As far as Chinese Democracy being the "worst possible first single", you're way off.  It wasn't a bad choice.  Imagine Shackler's, This I Love or Prostitute as the first single.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I think "Chinese Democracy" was a pretty good choice for first single.  It did pretty well on the charts and I haven't heard many people say they dislike the song.  Overall I think it was pretty well received.

The promo hasn't been there to date, Axl himself even admitted that in his chats.  He did say that eventually they would get that going (maybe with a re-release).  I know we can't really trust anything that he says but either they're waiting for "something" to get out and promote this thing or they're happy enough with it having the mild success it's been getting since its release.  It's still hanging around and doesn't appear to be destined to disappear anytime soon.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I said for years that CD would be a great first single. Always loved that song, and its the song that made me believe Axl could bring the band back from the dead.

However, when you look at things in hindsight and realize the first single was gonna get the majority of the attention and everything else virtually get buried, they might should have released a different single. If Better was going to take off, it had a better chance doing it as the first single.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I don't understand how anyone thought CD was a great choice of a single.

Nobody cares about musicianship and all that anymore. People want a song, that they can listen to, have it fire them up and it be something they can wrap their heads around and get inspired by. Something you can relate to.

CD is the opposite. there isn't anyway the masses were gonna be able to relate to the song. It doesn't really fire you up, has little to no hooks and a minute intro.......... that all spells horrible first single.

so much attention was given to CD and the album was BURIED because of the poor reception of this single.

Put this in perspective. First single in 15 years, u have the WORLD's ear. Everyone wants u back, everyone cannot wait to hear what u have and u release THIS?

to beat it all, it couldn't even go number 1 on a freaking mainstream rock chart. that is just embarrassing when u factor in the GNR brand, fame and anticipation. THE ONLY reason it did as well as it did as a single was due to curiosity factor.

If Better were the first single, it would've got more attention than it has now and it would've been number 1 more than likely. CD killed CD and radio are fickle and rarely give people 2nd chances especially in the day and age of hip hop and satellite radio.

axlcrazy
 Rep: 4 

axlcrazy wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Nobody cares about musicianship and all that anymore. People want a song, that they can listen to, have it fire them up and it be something they can wrap their heads around and get inspired by. Something you can relate to.

CD is the opposite. there isn't anyway the masses were gonna be able to relate to the song. It doesn't really fire you up, has little to no hooks and a minute intro.......... that all spells horrible first single.

so much attention was given to CD and the album was BURIED because of the poor reception of this single.

Put this in perspective. First single in 15 years, u have the WORLD's ear. Everyone wants u back, everyone cannot wait to hear what u have and u release THIS?

to beat it all, it couldn't even go number 1 on a freaking mainstream rock chart. that is just embarrassing when u factor in the GNR brand, fame and anticipation. THE ONLY reason it did as well as it did as a single was due to curiosity factor.

If Better were the first single, it would've got more attention than it has now and it would've been number 1 more than likely. CD killed CD and radio are fickle and rarely give people 2nd chances especially in the day and age of hip hop and satellite radio.

Nail meet head.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Any song with that kind of extended-intro was a BAD choice for first single. You've gotta grab 'em from the get.

Better should've been the first single, and the second single should've been a ballad, maybe Prostitute.

And sadly, that's it.

People sit back and pick their favorites, but the reality is CD (minus the intro), Better, and MAYBE Prostitute are the only things on this album that could be put out as singles.

I for awhile thought TWAT should be the ballad, but after several listens of the finished version, as great of a track as it is, with it's classic-Guns vibe, it's too long for today's radio.

And the rest, no way. Shackler's was panned universally as soon as it hit Rock Band 2, just about every hates the vocals on Street & World, Catcher is too 70's, Riad is too different, Sorry is too mellow, IRS is too weak, Madagascar is too 90's, and This I Love suffers from Catcher-syndrome.

Maybe Scraped is the only other thing I could see as a single on modern-rock radio.

We can all sit back and Monday-morning QB this thing, but i've said it before, one of the brilliant strokes of old GN'R was they had a way of making all original NON-radio ready songs, that were totally radio ready. That's how good they were, and catchy they were.

CD is a fantastic album... but it's for the diehards only. Maybe Axl always wanted it that way.

Board footer