You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: Jason Lives: FRIDAY THE 13TH

Von wrote:

Who's picking up the new reissues of Parts I-III tomorrow? First flick, now uncut, makes its debut on blu-ray and the third is finally, finally in 3D! Oh, and His Name Was Jason will be out, too. Big day for us Friday fans. In preparation for the big day, that is.

By the way, mirror months. Next month there's another Friday the 13th. The Last House on the Left remake will be the big one that day, but we'll be covering that soon enough.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Von

Von wrote:

I'm actually skipping the blu-ray and already ordered the DVD for the first one. I think blu-ray is well and good for recent blockbusters, but we're really destroying the illusion of a lot of older cinema by putting things into high def that were never intended to be. The reviews I've read of the blu-ray transer for Friday the 13th say that it only highlights the flaws in the makeup FX and the general low budgetness of the production. You know, I've defended blu-ray on here and I may be retracting a lot of those remarks soon. Is it a superior technology to DVD? Sure, in technical terms and in sheer storage capacity. But why do you want to destroy the illusion of film so badly? Why this trendy push towards high def that's taken over every single thing in the lives of people who otherwise can't comprehend what high def even means? Outside of an elitist, niche home theater market, blu-ray - like laserdisc before it - offers truly little in the way of expanding cinema. I was watching one of the Pirates flicks on blu-ray the other day. I don't need to see the makeup lines on Keira Knightley or stare at the pores on Johnny Depp's nose. I think someone jumped the shark here. Spielberg once held the argument that film should be preserved as just that, film, and was largely against the growing digital trend of the time. Since then, he's been won over, but his basic argument of film existing as this grainy-upon-closer-look artform still holds true. It's taken over a decade for many of the horror and generally whacked out indie videos of my video collection to make their way to DVD. Many were lost in the transition. More still will be lost in a transition to a format that most indie distributors can't afford and that there's no market hunger for. I'm sorry for the rant, but I just spent some time really kicking myself about which version to order and just finally threw my hands up. I think despite what the studios want to desperately push to boost the (for the first time since DVD's debut) lagging sales of home video, standard DVDs will win out because they are more compatible, portable, affordable, and simply good enough for the demands of 99.999% of the films being released as well as their intended audiences.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think i'm just gonna hold off for a "big" Friday Christmas later this year.

I've already double-dipped (i've got the bare-bones & box set). I'll only triple-dip for uncuts, Part III-3D, and i'll probably want that '30 Years of Jason' Doc.

I've got the H25 documentary for "Halloween", and I think both are done by the same people. H25 was great. Provided really the only behind the scenes glimpse at most the sequels.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I dont know if it has already been discussed here, but there were several Friday the 13th dvds released yesterday, with one of them being His Name Was Jason documentary. Well I went to Wal Mart last night to buy it and got it for $9.98. It also came with a ticket for the new Friday movie. So basically you can look at it as either getting the dvd free or the ticket free!

Von

Von wrote:

russ, I apologize. I didn't mean it to seem like I was singling out your post, and I see now that it did. You just mentioned the blu-ray release of the first flick and it set something off because while I already have a substantial amount invested in a blu-ray collection and home theater setup, I've been second guessing myself a lot lately. Really it has more to do with my disappointment in the overly clarified transfers of older, lower budget stuff. For example, I wouldn't trade the experience of my Dark Knight blu-ray for any other format. It's mindblowing. So, I'm really of two minds on the subject. I respect your own opinion and apologize again if it seemed like I was being a dickhead.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not buying any of these. Seen the old ones a trillion times, and while its cool they are releasing an uncut version of the original, I never really liked the first one all that much. I might download it for shits and giggles, although I have a backlog of movies to watch already.

I'm downloading 'His Name Was Jason' as I type this.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I liked Scream 1 and 2, the third one wasn't working as well though to me.

Anyways...usually i'm not a fan of reboots...but I dug the Texas reboot...and so i'll check this out...not released here till 12 march though!

Board footer