You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Jason Lives: FRIDAY THE 13TH

Axlin16 wrote:

Just a heads up to everyone, I picked up "His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday The 13th" at Wal-Mart for $10 bucks, and there was a $10 coupon inside towards tickets to see the F13 remake on Friday.

So in a way, if you go buy this at WM, you get the 2-disc doc for free, IF you intend to see the remake. So for all those planning on seeing the remake, stop buy WM, the documentary is free for the taking.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, Axlin08. I cancelled my Amazon order because it was taking way too long, so I might stop by Walmart tomorrow night.

And tejastech08, I actually have to strongly disagree on the superiority of Halloween's blu-ray transfer. Only the Dean Cundey THX transfer, which can be seen on Anchor Bay's '99 restored limited edition, is an accurate representation of John Carpenter's Halloween and features the correct color timing and muted tones, unlike most other "restored" versions of the film on DVD. Coming from the DiviMax transfer, which Carpenter himself has disowned, this blu-ray does not accurately represent Halloween as it was originally intended to be seen (ie not in high def). Just because the image is "cleaner" doesn't mean it's supposed to be. It largely robs the film of its atmosphere and limits the impact of the spookier visuals. While a blu-ray funded restoration of an already classic, big budget film can be beneficial, there is simply no need or place for that sort of work to be done, or "upgrades" to be made, on these other types of films. We agree on that part. As an aside, while I understand the Pirates blu-rays do better reflect Verbinski's vision of the films, the Pirates films were shot in high def. I have a problem with that all by itself. A film like Halloween is going from a low budget source and being stretched and wedged into this "super quality" format that doesn't enhance nearly as much as it detracts from the experience. Modern Hollywood blockbusters that are always intended for a high def presentation will benefit the most, but as a fan of film I am also not a fan of the high def look of these newer films even in theaters. That's another argument.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Von wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, Axlin08. I cancelled my Amazon order because it was taking way too long, so I might stop by Walmart tomorrow night.

And tejastech08, I actually have to strongly disagree on the superiority of Halloween's blu-ray transfer. Only the Dean Cundey THX transfer, which can be seen on Anchor Bay's '99 restored limited edition, is an accurate representation of John Carpenter's Halloween and features the correct color timing and muted tones, unlike most other "restored" versions of the film on DVD. Coming from the DiviMax transfer, which Carpenter himself has disowned, this blu-ray does not accurately represent Halloween as it was originally intended to be seen (ie not in high def). Just because the image is "cleaner" doesn't mean it's supposed to be. It largely robs the film of its atmosphere and limits the impact of the spookier visuals. While a blu-ray funded restoration of an already classic, big budget film can be beneficial, there is simply no need or place for that sort of work to be done, or "upgrades" to be made, on these other types of films. We agree on that part. As an aside, while I understand the Pirates blu-rays do better reflect Verbinski's vision of the films, the Pirates films were shot in high def. I have a problem with that all by itself. A film like Halloween is going from a low budget source and being stretched and wedged into this "super quality" format that doesn't enhance nearly as much as it detracts from the experience. Modern Hollywood blockbusters that are always intended for a high def presentation will benefit the most, but as a fan of film I am also not a fan of the high def look of these newer films even in theaters. That's another argument.

Actually it's not exactly the same as the DiviMax master. It's a combination of the two. The daylight stuff looks like the DiviMax whereas the night stuff looks closer to the THX transfer, though not exactly like it. I think it looks great.

And by the way, the Pirates films were NOT shot in high def. They were shot on film, which has a much higher resolution than 1080p high def. EVERY film has a higher resolution than 1080p and is downconverted to 1080p for Blu-ray, INCLUDING Friday the 13th and every other low budget film ever made. They did not use high def cameras for the Pirates movies. An example of a movie shot with high def cameras is Zodiac. High def cameras are just now catching up to the resolutions offered by 35mm film.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I stand corrected on the Pirates movies.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … ormats.svg

4k is a common resolution for 35 mm film, although most computers cannot handle it so for editing purposes they will downconvert to 2k when they scan the film digitally. Notice that 1080p is fairly close to 2k, but it's a long ways from being as good as 4k. Film can go even higher than this in resolution. For instance, quite a few films have been shot on either 65 mm or 70 mm film stock. In the case of The Dark Knight's IMAX footage, it was shot in 65 mm and scanned at 8k resolution. IMAX can go as high as 18k resolution, which of course is an outrageous level of detail. 35 mm film is believed to have a maximum resolution of around 6-8k.

Anyway, the point I'm making here is that Halloween and any other movie in history that was shot on 35 mm (or higher) film stock will have a much higher resolution than Blu-ray offers, meaning that even the Blu-ray is a significant down-conversion of the potential of the film. The difference between watching a film in a crappy 80's theater and on an HDTV with Blu-ray means that you will likely have a brighter lit screen, no degradation of the source material (film deteriorates pretty quickly unless it's taken care of), obviously a much SMALLER screen, etc. and that's why the flaws in the special effects become so obvious.

Anyway, Blu-ray is a great medium especially for old classic movies. Yes, it is unkind to low budget slasher flicks, but I feel it has been pretty kind to Halloween. The nitpicking over the color timing issue is ridiculous. I'll take the level of detail on the Blu over the blurriness on the DVD's any damn day of the week. The Blu is closer to what people saw in theaters than what is on the DVD's, even if the color is slightly different. Instead of a blurry dark blob on a porch ledge, you can actually see a lot of detail and color in the jack-o-lantern in the background at one point, just as an example.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just want to give a shout out to Von, that I agree, Cundey's '99 remaster of "Halloween" is the definitive version imo. The film is fuckin' gorgeous.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I own nearly every version of Halloween known and I must say NOTHING compares to the blu ray version. 

Cundey's 99 remaster is definitely my second favorite however and I do respect the argument of why many prefer it.

tejastech08 wrote:

The Blu is closer to what people saw in theaters than what is on the DVD's, even if the color is slightly different. Instead of a blurry dark blob on a porch ledge, you can actually see a lot of detail and color in the jack-o-lantern in the background at one point, just as an example.

Well said and I totally agree.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Saw it last night at midnight. I'll use spoilers for my very short review below:

Hidden Text:

Fucking terrible. Even by Friday the 13th standards. Parts of it were just plain STUPID.

At least you kept that short and simple. 16 I wasn't gonna look, but curiosity took over.

The film makers are complete morons if they fucked this up. They had a cash cow franchise on their hands.

I'm not gonna be going to see it this weekend. Anyone who does, be sure to use those spoiler tags to discuss it. I'll probably go see this on Monday or Tuesday.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Tempted Russ...but I didn't look!  I'm going tonight, hope it doesn't suck ass.

Board footer