You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

James wrote:

My review of the new F13 wasn't "delusional". In fact, when you look at the film's massive drop at the box office, my review was essentially a 'money shot'.

The backstory of his Halloween was praised because it offered a slightly different perspective than what had been offered in all prior sequels. It also still had elements of horror in it. Thats why it was praised. When it looks like its gonna be a drama based on Laurie, well obviously that's taking it in a different direction than many anticipated.

I'm all for a new direction. I have lobbied for years to have Chan Wook Park do the sequels instead of Zombie, and even he would likely center the story around Laurie. However, it would be done in an entirely different way than turning it into a sob story about lost friends.

Zombie is a fence straddler, and it comes through in his work. He cant decide exactly what it is he wants to do, so fans get left with a film thats weak as a whole but has strong elements contained within the film.

Zombie works better doing his own thing. He is relieved of any pressure in those conditions.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Your review wasn't as "delusional" as your reaction to being disappointed by it, which was to essentially wash your hands of a franchise that had already endured Jason X and Freddy vs. Jason. The film's massive box office drop can more accurately be attributed to its being a) a horror movie that had b) an atypical opening weekend based on a number of coincidental scenarios. And yet I do agree that Zombie is best left to his own devices. Halloween is his weakest film so far, but I've always argued that rather than it being because Zombie's a fence straddler, you have to keep in mind the studio(s) he made it for. While that's essentially still his own fault, there's no denying Scissorhands Weinstein and Malek Akkad had a lot to do with that forced remake bit. If Zombie had been given the proper freedom to make his own Halloween movie, that'd have the potential to be really special. I think a sequel is where he'll find that freedom, without the handicap of the film's name, prior legacy, and existing (and fickle) fanbase. Zombie most likely agreed to H2 to make the kind of Halloween movie he wanted to in the first place.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Im not sure I was a huge fan of the backstory......... I think its better when u don't know why someone is a psycho path

I don't think his childhood was so bad, it would lead him to becoming Micheal Myers, Iconic Horror killer.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The strongest point of Zombie's Halloween was the backstory, and the Smith's Grove stuff. It was new, it was fresh, and I savored every moment. One of the better segments in the series.

Then it NOSE DIVED.

When Zombie tried to speed up, and retread the entire plot of the original Halloween in the final act of the film, I wanted to puke. It was not set up well, it was not paced well, the atmosphere was never set, and it was a TOTAL disaster, and REAKED of the film being a clusterfuck. Smacked of Darth Weinstein stepping in.

Although Zombie's new 'allusions' to the plot sound lame right now, my one faint hope for H2 is it'll be Zombie doing his own thing. But regardless of Universal's rights, I get a feeling some parts will be a retread of H281.

Von

Von wrote:

Rob Zombie began principal photography on Monday (February 23) for his sequel to "Halloween", tentatively titled "H2". The follow-up to the rocker-turned-director's 2007 hit remake of the horror classic is due out at the end of August. Zombie posted a message on his MySpace blog about the start of shooting, writing that "we made it through the first three days. Everything is going great. This film is going to blow away my last trip to Haddonfield. Ultra-gritty, ultra-intense and very real. Here is a sneak peek [see below] of Laurie moments after being wheeled into the ER."

"H2" is shooting in Georgia.

Zombie said in one recent interview that the new film will focus less on serial killer Michael Myers and more on his sister, Laurie, played by Scout Taylor-Compton.

As for Zombie's next studio album, he recently completed recording for it and plans to issue the disc in either late summer or early fall, according to HardDrive Radio.

3310923125_2c0707369c_o.jpg

-BLABBERMOUTH.NET-

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

Awesome, I can't wait to see the first picture of Myers.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

She still looks hot.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

Scout is Laurie

I never posted this since I figured everyone already knew this, but I was wrong. I've gotten tons of emails asking who's playing Laurie. Scout is back and she is tearing it up as Laurie. We've only worked for 4 days and she is battered and bruised, but she is hardcore and kicking ass.

Here is a new pic of Laurie Strode being rush into Haddonfield General. Let's just say this is the best part of her stay. The worst is yet to come.

laurie.jpg

- Rob Zombie's myspace

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

So is this gonna end up just being a scene-for-scene remake of Halloween II '81?

Von

Von wrote:

All signs so far point to "no." Scout's a really cool girl by the way. I've had the pleasure of corresponding with her while writing a feature and she's just the most charming little thing. I like her Laurie.

Board footer