You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Favorite Horror Movie Theme?

Gunslinger wrote:

There's some REALLY good ones out there.  I think Halloween, Pet Sematary, The Shining, Psycho, Friday the 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street are all some chill inducing themes and there are many more.  It's tough to pick one as the king but in my opinion the theme of HALLOWEEN is my all-time favorite.  It's such a simple yet maniacal mixture of notes that do and don't go together perfectly simultaneously in some crazy way.

Everytime I hear it I get the same sensation as a smell that reminds you of a distant memory...in this case one of crisp Autumn air, the smell of pumpkin and candy corn and one of something evil always just out of sight.

Halloween's theme is a perfect companion to the great 78 classic movie.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Halloween for the win. Talk about the music making the movie. Without that iconic score, who knows if Carpenter's flick would have had the lasting legacy it has. One of the most effective film scores of all time, horror or otherwise.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Definitely Halloween. Amazing how such a simple and basic piano technique, that was actually taught to Carpenter on bongos by his father just to learn rhythm... became one of the most haunting instrumental pieces ever recorded.

But I also want to give a shout out to some others....

Psycho theme
--- the opening to the original, and that music - legendary

Dawn of the Dead
--- the pulse-pounding Goblin electronic music, just is claustrophobic, and classic

Day of the Dead
--- the opening is just... epic

Halloween III
--- the 'Main Theme' which opens the film, with the electronica stuff, and the computerized-pumpkin... it's like a drill in your head you never forget

Phantasm theme
--- unlike the others, which open their films, the Phantasm theme is a fantastic recurring piece throughout the films. My preference is the the heavier rocked-up version from Phantasm II

As for some great 'songs'...

Mr. Sandman (Halloween II, Halloween H2O)
--- Classic. Heard this song for years, and didn't even think of it this way. Heard it in H2... everytime now - Myers.

Have You Seen It? (Phantasm IV: Oblivion)
--- Rock song done by star Reggie Bannister, features cool chorus, backed by the Phantasm theme. Very cool.

Leatherface (Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III)
--- Oh man, who can forget Laaz Rockit's death metal tribute to our favorite cannibal? The song is absolute crap, but it's so bad, it's good. Fits a totally trashy vibe from the film.

He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask) (Jason Lives: Friday The 13th Part VI)
--- Nothing beats Coop belting it out, post one of the great F13 sequels, with Jason sound effects in the back. Great song, great film.

The Darkest Side of the Night (Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan)
--- Very 80's, but glam metal-ish track from the band Metropolis (who?), but it's a fucking awesome tune. I've got their album that this track came off of, shame they didn't do more.

and the pinnacle of all songs......

*drum roll*

Howling (Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf)
--- A bad mid-80's new wave punk band singing "and i'll prowl now, through your dreams again... HOWLING", fit with Christopher Lee, dancing midgets, old man laughing their ass off during an orgy, a Transylvanian music festival, and Sybil Danning ripping her top off 18 times to the chorus, is one of the great memories i'll take with me throughout my life.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

My favorites horror themes are from Halloween and The Omen,  there's more I like that I can't think of right now but those are my top favorites.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Definitely Halloween. Amazing how such a simple and basic piano technique, that was actually taught to Carpenter on bongos by his father just to learn rhythm... became one of the most haunting instrumental pieces ever recorded.

Psycho theme

Dawn of the Dead
--- the pulse-pounding Goblin electronic music, just is claustrophobic, and classic

Day of the Dead

Halloween III
--- the 'Main Theme' which opens the film, with the electronica stuff, and the computerized-pumpkin... it's like a drill in your head you never forget

Phantasm theme
--- unlike the others, which open their films, the Phantasm theme is a fantastic recurring piece throughout the films. My preference is the the heavier rocked-up version from Phantasm II

--- Classic. Heard this song for years, and didn't even think of it this way. Heard it in H2... everytime now - Myers.

--- Rock song done by star Reggie Bannister, features cool chorus, backed by the Phantasm theme. Very cool.

--- Oh man, who can forget Laaz Rockit's death metal tribute to our favorite cannibal? The song is absolute crap, but it's so bad, it's good. Fits a totally trashy vibe from the film.

--- Nothing beats Coop belting it out, post one of the great F13 sequels, with Jason sound effects in the back. Great song, great film.

The Darkest Side of the Night (Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan)
--- Very 80's, but glam metal-ish track from the band Metropolis (who?), but it's a fucking awesome tune. I've got their album that this track came off of, shame they didn't do more.

*drum roll*

--- A bad mid-80's new wave punk band singing "and i'll prowl now, through your dreams again... HOWLING", fit with Christopher Lee, dancing midgets, old man laughing their ass off during an orgy, a Transylvanian music festival, and Sybil Danning ripping her top off 18 times to the chorus, is one of the great memories i'll take with me throughout my life.

And let's not forget Cry Little Sister from the Lost Boys Soundtrack!!

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:

the excorcist theme, tubular bells, is beautiful to me.... i love the halloween theme too.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

It's a tough call between The Exorcist and Halloween.  Both themes are just amazing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Psycho theme

Dawn of the Dead

Day of the Dead

Halloween III

Phantasm theme

*drum roll*

And let's not forget Cry Little Sister from the Lost Boys Soundtrack!!

Yeah that was a good track too, as was Roger Daltrey's cover of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" and the rest of the soundtrack. One of the classics of the 80's.

I always forget about "The Lost Boys". I always think of it more as a Haim/Feldman movie, rather than a horror flick. hmm

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

Has to be Halloween theme.

Board footer