You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Who should be GNR's next lead guitarist? (If needed)

Axlin16 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Vernon Reid.

Doubt it. Vernon ain't a big Axl fan, and still remembers the N-word drop on One In A Million.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:
Aussie wrote:

My personal thought would be to let NuGNR die as far as this perceived image of them being "a band".  To bring yet another guitarist in again - yawn.

If he wants to write more music, I say knock himself out - get 100 different guitarists to write guitar licks for him.  He can then pick the stuff that he likes the best and cut and paste it into his next solo project.

But as far as hiring someone else again just to try and hold this version of GN'R out as being a band - don't waste your time, the revolving door of band members has spun for too long.  I think there is only one person left he can call in order to sell to the public the concept of GNR actually being a band again.  BUT from my read that ain't ever happening.

But, the problem for Axl is that the money these days is made from touring not album sales.  So you come back to the same problem of how are you going to sell the concept of GN'R being a band to the public when there is yet more lineup changes with new guys, playing the old guys (in some cases the old old old guys stuff).

It's kind of ironic, Axl wanted to control everything and he basically got what he wanted.  From an artistic point of view he has done whatever he has wanted with no compromising with other band members.  But this is a double edged sword, in the process of achieving this he has bascially destroyed all marketability of the other guys in regards to the concept of GNR actually being "a band".

I like this post.

Someone should rewrite the story of "The Monkey's Paw" with Mr. Rose as the main character. smile

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Kim Thayil would be a legit option at this point. Axl is a fan, and Soundgarden opened for GNR several times. There was never any bad blood between the two bands. Thayil would be the band's 'Jack of all trades'. He could easily play the Finck/Slash material, and when Bumble starts to stumble, you let Thayil take over on Bucket mop up duty.

Unfortunately Thayil never really cemented himself in the annals of guitar gods, but he can most certainly play any of the material he would be asked to play.

The sad thing is, he probably wouldn't even join. Axl would have to give him carte blanche, and there's no way in hell that Thayil would be second or third fiddle to Bumble and Fortus. He would consider them 'beneath him', and I would agree. Thayil would also want to contribute from a writing standpoint on the next record, and that record would have to be released in a semi sane time frame or he'd walk.

This being said JOHN 5 is a an excellent choice for Axl, because Marilyn Manson is a control freak and difficult on his band members, so John 5 is used to that. Trent Reznor is a tyrant and that is why Robin can put up with Axl....

It is my opinion that Robin will be back. It is my opinion that Azoff and Axl are waiting for the Best Buy exclusive to end and will re-introduce GNR to the world this summer via a major tour, music video, and other promotions.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
skippy wrote:
Aussie wrote:

My personal thought would be to let NuGNR die as far as this perceived image of them being "a band".  To bring yet another guitarist in again - yawn.

If he wants to write more music, I say knock himself out - get 100 different guitarists to write guitar licks for him.  He can then pick the stuff that he likes the best and cut and paste it into his next solo project.

But as far as hiring someone else again just to try and hold this version of GN'R out as being a band - don't waste your time, the revolving door of band members has spun for too long.  I think there is only one person left he can call in order to sell to the public the concept of GNR actually being a band again.  BUT from my read that ain't ever happening.

But, the problem for Axl is that the money these days is made from touring not album sales.  So you come back to the same problem of how are you going to sell the concept of GN'R being a band to the public when there is yet more lineup changes with new guys, playing the old guys (in some cases the old old old guys stuff).

It's kind of ironic, Axl wanted to control everything and he basically got what he wanted.  From an artistic point of view he has done whatever he has wanted with no compromising with other band members.  But this is a double edged sword, in the process of achieving this he has bascially destroyed all marketability of the other guys in regards to the concept of GNR actually being "a band".

I like this post.

Someone should rewrite the story of "The Monkey's Paw" with Mr. Rose as the main character. smile

i don't

the "revolving door" has gone unnoticed to most of the world. all they know or will notice if gnr tours is there is no slash. they have no idea how many people have come and gone and don't care. i agree a final lineup needs to be established for touring and if future albums/tours are on the way they need to find that lineup right now, make it good (marketable and talented), and stick with it after taking the plunge.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

i don't

the "revolving door" has gone unnoticed to most of the world. all they know or will notice if gnr tours is there is no slash. they have no idea how many people have come and gone and don't care. i agree a final lineup needs to be established for touring and if future albums/tours are on the way they need to find that lineup right now, make it good (marketable and talented), and stick with it after taking the plunge.

Anyone who bought the album and read the liner notes would have a clue as to how many players have passed through the band no?  It's funny how people always say the world is smart enough to know this isn't the original Guns N' Roses yet they're not smart enough to know the band has opperated as a revolving door? Please. People saw the band on the MTV awards with Buckethead. how many of those people who saw them live in 2006 thought to themselves "Gee where is the guy with the bucket on his head?" I bet alot.  Unless a person still thinks Slash is in the band they know this is Axl and a revolving door of musicians.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

I can confirm that when I mention the new GNR album to people, they say, "Is Slash back in the band?" or "Oh, they finally got back together?". They have no clue about anything that has happened since let's say 1998. They don't even know about the VMA's or anything. Some people have been enjoying the album for like 20+ mins before they ask me about the members. Once they find out there is no Slash, they seem to put up a wall. Though, a few people said "Well, it sounds cool though, can you burn me a copy?" or some ask "can you buy this yet" or "where did you find this?" 16

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

I can confirm that when I mention the new GNR album to people, they say, "Is Slash back in the band?" or "Oh, they finally got back together?". They have no clue about anything that has happened since let's say 1998. They don't even know about the VMA's or anything. Some people have been enjoying the album for like 20+ mins before they ask me about the members. Once they find out there is no Slash, they seem to put up a wall. Though, a few people said "Well, it sounds cool though, can you burn me a copy?" or some ask "can you buy this yet" or "where did you find this?" 16

That's really interesting considering how many people on Gn'R boards vehemently claimed that everybody going to a Gn'R show from 2002-2006 new that it wasn't the original band. Seems that isn't the case as many of us have been saying all along.  I'd really like to know what the true numbers were in 2006 regarding people who attended shows under teh impression thsi mock up was actually Guns N' Roses. It seems that while they were touring a  common perception among alot of fans was the general public knew what was going on with the band but now that the album is out suddenly alot of people are starting to say the general public doesn't know it's not the original band.  It all just seems weird to me.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

To clarify what I like about the post:

It points out that Axl got his way, and his way is not as successful.

He wished for a sausage, and then he wished for it to be stuck at the end of his nose.

Now he can eat it.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Back on topic:

Carlos Cavazo

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Back on topic:

Carlos Cavazo

What's sad is I had to google his name, and then was shocked I didn't remember who the hell he is.

Interesting choice.

Board footer