You are not logged in. Please register or login.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

Re: Interesting Post-MyGnr 6/20/2008-Future albums Speculation

GNRBABY wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I think starting a thread with that title was kind of asking for negative reaction. I mean, if the song really had been gathering "major steam" then people wouldn't have had the chance to react negatively.

Is the glass half empty or half full? The song did move up on two different charts that I know of.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think most agree that its a solid album. Nothing more, nothing less. Most will admit this Best Buy thing and how it was handled wasn't the greatest idea in the world. Not sure why you get so bent out of shape over people who don't consider this the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I agree with this 100% I'm not saying CD is the "the best thing since sliced bread". There where albums released last year that are better, I've never argued that CD is more than a solid album. What I'm saying is I'm sick of people on this board calling it a failure, I think all their reasoning is silly and delusional. We knew almost 95% of this going in - the missing pieces - Axl's personality, etc, etc. Guns N Roses has never had a reputation for being conventional and cordial. What does everyone expect? That Axl is going to parade around and suddenly start behaving like Bon Jovi? (no offense to BJ, just an example)  You expect a reality show or something? Rubbing elbows with Carson Daily? What is it? I'm just throwing out ideas here...

AC/DC sold more records because they are still the original band. (minus bon scott tongue) Their fanbase spans more generations of fans than GNR does. Their exclusive was at a store that more people shop at for many different reasons.  They play the living shit out of them on the radio and in public. They play the crap out of GNR too, I'm not saying they don't, but AC/DC has been at it longer.

Axl is not a young act. He doesn't have Slash or any of the originals. This works against him, no matter how big AFD has become. I simply want members of this board to have some PERSPECTIVE on this matter. Look at the big picture. We knew the state of this band WELL in advance to this record coming out. Get real. Chinese Democracy is right where it should be. Taylor Swift SHOULD be selling more records right now. That doesn't make her music great, nor does it insure she will have a long career. I feel the Best Buy deal hurt them. I honestly do, but that isn't the only reason, and it didn't hurt them too much. Maybe best case they would have gone gold sooner. That is neither here nor their at this point, it is what it is.

I'm sorry if I upset you James, but I wasn't talking to you when I went on the Applebees rant. That was directed at Axlin08. I wasn't attacking the entire board. Axlin08 isn't a bad guy, he frustrated me though. Lots of the comment on this board frustrate me 14

ps Robin Finck shall return.

In other words, you agree with 99.9% of this board. You just word it a bit differently.

While I do agree that labeling it a complete failure is a tad off the mark, everything else you said is pretty much what others here say as well. Its called reality. I'm not shocked that the majority agree on what is reality.

One thing that gets old is when you(or someone else) walks in here and basically proclaims this site a troll factory. Been to mygnr? They have bitch threads that extend for miles. Been to cd.com? Bitching there. Been to the Strip? Guess what's there? The only example of not bitching is HTGTH and that's because they delete tons of posts and people adapt to what is deemed acceptable.

This site is simply a reflection of the hardcore base. Its not the biggest GNR site, but its not the smallest either. GNR themselves could take a poll at these various sites and though the vote count may vary, the results will be exactly the same.

One thing that is a HUGE factor in the "negativity" is the fact this album was completely irrelevant in pop culture. It wasn't even a minor event which it was advertised as. NONE of these sites had an influx of new, or even returning fans. Its the same exact people at these sites that 'waited' for years. When you have a situation where the same people get an album they heard 90% of for years before its release and no new blood walks through the doors, its no surprise that there is extreme amounts of bitching at these sites and activity is down across the boards. The people who bitched about the silence, lack of hits,etc. will continue to bitch about the silence, lack of hits,etc. while the rest of the world continues spinning, just like it always did.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I wish there was some way for women and people without a Best Buy in their town to obtain the album.

This is where I think the band failed miserably.  They should have offered to sell CD online and offered free shipping like AC/DC did with Black Ice.  This could have given them another avenue of customers.  Instead we get the usual garbage on the website.  Another missed opportunity again.

Regarding GNRBABY, no one here is picking on you or being overly negative.  It's just that when you see the actual FACTS about the album it is hard to be positive.  It has sold less than expected when compared to their counterparts Metallica and AC/DC--those bands compete with GNR for the same fanbase (hard rock/ metal music buyers).  No one knows who is in the actual band or when a tour--the only guaranteed moneymaker for a band currently--will take place.  I read the other day that Dizzy Reed the longest tenured band member besides Axl didn't know which of his parts ended up on the album.  How ridiculous is that!  The 2002 and 2006 tours were underwhelming in terms of gate receipts.  People will only go if Slash, Duff and Izzy are there.  In addition, Axl has pissed off a lot of people with his lack of promotion for his own grand opus. Taking together all these facts it is hard to believe why the record company will release another CD era album from Axl Rose.  I think this situation is similar to the one with Gary Cherone and Van Halen.  The first album III bombed and the subsequently recorded album was shelved by the record label.  Luckily, CD hasn't bombed out to that level I guess.

GNRBABY

GNRBABY wrote:

I think there will be a second push for CD this summer with a tour, if not a video also. They might be waiting for the BB exclusive to end. Perhaps we'll get a new track that is good for a movie too! (wishful thinking, but perhaps) What if that song gains momentum?

None of that is outside the realm of possibility IMO.

It also isn't out of the realm of possibility that absolutely nothing happens. Yet, I'm faithful of the latter, or at least a portion of the latter,

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

^ yeah Women love best buy - keep telling yourself that buddy... Go put on "I only want to be with you" by Hootie on too for the 32,000,000th time, because that song makes money and people accept it, which of course judging by the way you measure music makes it an excellent song! When your done with that watch some re-runs of American Idol, because that show is really hip and cool and best of all MAKES MONEY. Then, go have dinner at Applebee's, and don't forget to swing by Wall-Mart and get a copy of the new AC/DC, because it has sold well, so the record must be AMAZING!

1) Women do love Best Buy, 'cause they shop there. If they don't where you live, it's because you're in a sausage factory of a town.

2) Hootie sucks

3) I don't judge music by success, so don't put words in my mouth ever. Now or later. I never once said that, not once, and neither has alot of people, and to make such a statement is fradulent and unfounding of my reputation, nor accurate to my past statements and opinions. I suggest in the future, before you deal in lies, to find your source, and present facts. I have sat here FROM DAY FUCKING ONE saying CD is the best album since AFD, and been laughed at by almost everybody. But I firmly believe that. The album is a FINANCIAL FUCKING FAILURE. TRUTH. That does not mean that it's not good, it just means it's a bomb. There's been plenty of flopped albums, bombed movies, and cancelled before their time TV shows, that were terrific. CD is no different.

4) American Idol is the most fucking gay thing ever put on television. Although Carrie Underwood is hot.

5) I don't think i've had dinner at Applebee's is probably 3-4 years, and what does that mean anyway? 10

6) Black Ice is another average outing from AC/DC. Rock N' Roll Train is a great tune tho. No one ever said it was amazing because of it's financial success. Britney is a financial success too, and she sucks. Kanye too.

GNRBABY wrote:

Yeah, maybe, but do we really need to kick sand in the guys face? There was some truth to it... It not just this, it's lots of things. Bottom line is people are overly negative 90% of the time

People are being overly negative, because it's a negative situation. And they are throughly enjoying (not me) kicking sand in Axl's face, because face it, he's treated his fans like shit for years.

It's just like Pete ROSE. Greatest hitter to ever live. But he was an asshole. So he made enemies. And the single day that someone finally got dirt on him (gambling on baseball as a manager), they used it to destroy him, and grind him into the ground.

Axl's no different. When you're a tough guy, you're a badass, and you don't suck and everyone else does, as soon as you screw up the slightest, there are going to be people right there to make sure they twist that knife, and plunge it a little deeper.

I don't want to hurt the guy. I don't WANT to be negative. I'm simply stating facts, and right now we've got mixed emotions. CD (imo) is the best GN'R album since AFD, but it's lack of success, certaintly makes me question what the future is for Axl and GN'R. That's all.

James

James wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

I think there will be a second push for CD this summer with a tour, if not a video also. They might be waiting for the BB exclusive to end. Perhaps we'll get a new track that is good for a movie too! (wishful thinking, but perhaps) What if that song gains momentum?

Then obviously this turns into an entirely different ballgame. Once the first week sales results came in and it clearly wasn't doing the damage it was predicted to do, I was already saying they gotta look towards a 'second wind'. These second winds are rare these days, but they do happen.

M.I.A.'s album was dead in the water until Paper Planes exploded almost a year after the album's release. That album was amazing the moment it was released even though it didn't have the sales. While the critics and her hardcore fans loved it, the album was just sitting there deader than a dinosaur waiting for someone to cherry pick a track at just the right moment for it to explode. It could have just as easily happened with Jimmy or Bamboo Banga(which under the right circumstances could have been a massive hit in clubs), but the stars aligned for that one track, and that one track only.

The question becomes......does Chinese Democracy have a track of that caliber? In my opinion it does not, but its not easy to predict the motions of pop culture. It all depends not just on track selection, but under what conditions the track is presented to the public.

Lets say that movie 2012 wants Riad on its soundtrack, or to mirror a Pineapple Express type event, use the track for promo even though its not really part of the film. Now I love that track minus the Bumble solo, but most fans think it sucks. However, perfect timing and the right buzz could propel that track to the top of the Itunes chart.

Is it likely? No. Is it possible? You bet your ass it is....

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Release Soul Monster. 16

I think the release of Chinese Democracy was the first step. Hopefully another album with better material for world wide domination is around the corner but that is just wishful and stoned thinking.

GNRBABY

GNRBABY wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

Then obviously this turns into an entirely different ballgame. Once the first week sales results came in and it clearly wasn't doing the damage it was predicted to do, I was already saying they gotta look towards a 'second wind'. These second winds are rare these days, but they do happen.

M.I.A.'s album was dead in the water until Paper Planes exploded almost a year after the album's release. That album was amazing the moment it was released even though it didn't have the sales. While the critics and her hardcore fans loved it, the album was just sitting there deader than a dinosaur waiting for someone to cherry pick a track at just the right moment for it to explode. It could have just as easily happened with Jimmy or Bamboo Banga(which under the right circumstances could have been a massive hit in clubs), but the stars aligned for that one track, and that one track only.

The question becomes......does Chinese Democracy have a track of that caliber? In my opinion it does not, but its not easy to predict the motions of pop culture. It all depends not just on track selection, but under what conditions the track is presented to the public.

Lets say that movie 2012 wants Riad on its soundtrack, or to mirror a Pineapple Express type event, use the track for promo even though its not really part of the film. Now I love that track minus the Bumble solo, but most fans think it sucks. However, perfect timing and the right buzz could propel that track to the top of the Itunes chart.

Is it likely? No. Is it possible? You bet your ass it is....

When I said song for a movie, I meant a new/unreleased song that is not on the album. But, it could happen with a song already on the album. CITR if used in the right scene could spark IMO. Who knows....

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Release Soul Monster. 16

I think the release of Chinese Democracy was the first step. Hopefully another album with better material for world wide domination is around the corner but that is just wishful and stoned thinking.

James

James wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

When I said song for a movie, I meant a new/unreleased song that is not on the album. But, it could happen with a song already on the album. CITR if used in the right scene could spark IMO. Who knows....

Well, if a re-release is truly in the planning stages, there's zero point in doing it unless it has at least one bonus track. They're gonna need the hardcores to buy it again to help prop it up on the charts and that's not gonna happen with the same album with an updated booklet.

Its bonus tracks or bust at this point....

Board footer