You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GN'R showing signs of being labeled an "epic fail".

AtariLegend wrote:

It isn't exactly a "Rolling Stone" article.

...And whether anyone chooses to believe it, it sold at least 2.9 million copies by lasts months count. Given the minimal effort, it still would be enough for Axl to yell shove it, to you guys.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the two are independent and have nothing to do with each other

uy1 and 2 would have had similar success in this climate w/out promo

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I really, really hope a few posters here don't try to turn every thread in this place into a "lets bash the new band over and over with the same old, tired, reduntant, repetive arguments" fest.

AtariLegend wrote:
misterID wrote:

I really, really hope a few posters here don't try to turn every thread in this place into a "lets bash the new band over and over with the same old, tired, reduntant, repetive arguments" fest.

Sorry to break it to you, it happened a while back.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I still don't think Chinese Democracy is a failure. Absolutley not. Maybe not as much as we hoped, but being the #8 selling album in 2008 worldwide, and not even being out 2 months during that time, is still impressive. Sure, it could have been more, but for it being gold already, not a failure.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Otis Western wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Otis Western wrote:

Yeah, but the 2 are directly proportional.

well what failure are we talking about? chinese democracy? lets follow your logic here.

chinese democracy was a failure because the old band will never reunite.

doesnt make sense

Chinese Democracy was a failure as proven by lack of interest from the fans, media, poor sales, no hit singles, etc.

This was the first album of original material without Slash, Izzy, and Duff. All the material they released had fan/media appeal, hit singles, interest, high volume sales, etc.

Thus, my "directly proportional" comment.

No.  Your conclusion does not follow your premises with necessity.

It can be explained by quite a few factors (and is probably a combo of all).

Zero promotion.
Different time period.

Chinese Democracy was a 'failure' (and I use that term loosely) because a combo of those two factors mainly.  If they had promoted it, it would have done better.  If it had been released a few years back, it would have done better.  Songs like Better and Chinese Democracy don't really fit in on modern rock stations too well.  Sure, they are really good songs, but they sound vastly different from what you would normally hear on those stations.  I personally feel that is a good thing, but the general public obviously doesn't.

I don't even think the album was a failure.  It didn't sell as good as prior GNR records, it didn't have any hit singles- but most of why a lot of fans are calling this a failure is because of their own unreal expectations for this album.  This album was never going to be the best selling album of 2008 and 2009 and 2010.  It was never going to sell 3 million copies right out the door.  It was never going to grab the music world by the balls and all of a sudden change everything, completely reshape the music world.  Axl Rose is not Jesus. 

I really don't think this boils down to "where's Slash?"  The public has known for a while that he is not apart of GNR (especially if heard of VR), so I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't hold. 

Also, it's kinda hard to judge the two bands legacies (if you treat them as two entities) because they were radically different.  We don't even know who's in the band, and they released one album.  It sounds like you were expecting an AFD style response to Chinese Democracy, and it just was never going to happen.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

It actually still has a chance at an AFD style response.  That didn't sell well at first either.  I know, I know, they're not even comparable.  I don't mean to use that as an excuse or say "you just wait and see."  I do think the album should see a bit of a resurgence if/when promo kicks in and tour announcements are made.  Nothing like AFD though, of course.

And I agree, talk about misleading titles.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It wasn't a "failure", but GNR and its fans found out that the overall fan base is no longer as big as previously thought. Axl shutting the door on a reunion will shrink it even more.

The bullshit promotion played a role in morphing the album into a lead balloon, and if GNR had did anything resembling U2 promo, it certainly would have sold a bit more in the US.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

There's no way this album has a chance at an AFD style response.  No way.  AFD was culturally significant.  It was very much of it's time.  Chinese Democracy is about Axl.  It won't be culturally significant the way AFD was, even if they promote the hell out of it. 

Like James said, if GNR had done this right (like U2), there would have been a significant increase in sales.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm sure a stadium tour with Van Halen, and some massive promotion, maybe some single re-releases, as well as some ballads, some videos, some interviews, and just shoving GN'R down the throats of the U.S. & the world, would pick up album sales.

But it's not gonna climb out of the toilet and go #1 like AFD. Not a chance in hell. It's more likely for a reunion to happen, then that to happen.

Board footer