You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Give Tommy Stinson thanks

Sky Dog wrote:

oh please...Tommy earned his rock badge at 15 years old....every bit the player Duff could ever be. Quite frankly though, they are two spirits cut out of the same Johnny Thunders cloth....except Tommy was never a fat drunken clown like Duff turned in to in the Illusion era. Duff is back and together now and Tommy seems together so I will call it a draw...in a good way. Both guys live for rock and roll and are respectful of the art.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
madagas wrote:

..except Tommy was never a fat drunken clown like Duff turned in to in the Illusion era.

Hey easy on duff...he  may have made some substance mistakes in his youth, but he also wound up playing on some of the most kickass records of all time, and delivering some of the greatest rock shows ever, drunk or not.

He's also quite a roll model in my eyes, in that he's got older, still knows how to rock in VR and Loaded and enjoy himself, maintained his artistic flare and love of music,  but is no longer living a suciedal lifestyle, is a family man, and even has himself most of a college education, and then tops it all by usually speaking respectfully of most people in the music business.

To be honest, despite being a huge fan of Chinese Democracy I have no real opinion on Tommy, I respect that he was a part of that process and have no issue with him, but I have not as yet got into his solo stuff, but that's because i'm a guitarist I guess, so would gravitate to what Bumble and richard might be up to first on any given day.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Madagas must've missed that entire interview, where Tommy basically admitted he just copied Duff.

Pretty good props to Duff when the guy that's supposed to be superior lifts his method for record GN'R bass from Duff "King of All Finance" McKagen.

Three points, downtown, ballgame.

This isn't Tommy Stinson vs. Duff McKagan. Get over yourselves.

If you haven't listened to Village Gorilla Head, stay out of the thread.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Tommy can be added on the expense of a Dizzy piano solo or another Fortus shred-fest. They can just change between who plays what every other concert if they want. Take one solo out, add Tommy. Take Tommy out, add a solo. This isn't rocket science.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Madagas must've missed that entire interview, where Tommy basically admitted he just copied Duff.

Pretty good props to Duff when the guy that's supposed to be superior lifts his method for record GN'R bass from Duff "King of All Finance" McKagen.

Three points, downtown, ballgame.

except that the referee blew the whistle before you shot......if you read my entire post I said that I "call it a draw" between Duff and Tommy.....just for the people who only read what they want, I will repost what I wrote after my slag at Duff (which is VERY true by the way-sorry).

"Duff is back and together now and Tommy seems together so I will call it a draw...in a good way. Both guys live for rock and roll and are respectful of the art."

and this line...
"Quite frankly though, they are two spirits cut out of the same Johnny Thunders cloth.."

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

This isn't Tommy Stinson vs. Duff McKagan. Get over yourselves.

Village Gorilla Head is better than anything with Loaded's name on it.

So maybe that means something....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

So me and around 70-80% of the people who come to this site aren't allowed to view this thread?

Thanks for the heads up....

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

motivation is good tune...dont think ive listened to the whole album tho

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i would recommend VGH to any fan of this version of GnR...its good stuff, it was surprising for me cuz i wasnt expecting to like it, I was just at the right place and the disk was the right price

Board footer