You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: GnREvolution Movie Madness II - Round 1, Battle 22

Neemo wrote:

Round 1, Battle 22 (90's Bracket)

movie_madness_banner.jpg

The movie with the most votes will move on to "Round 2". You have one day ... Vote!

Se7en (1995)

vs.

Unforgiven (1992)

------------------------------------------------------
Note: Please uses the discussion and results thread to talk about the battles, results and general discussion about this GnREvolution Movie Madness II Tourney, just use the voting threads to place your votes.
Disclaimer: Do not forget to actually place your vote using the poll system. If you do not vote in the the poll then your vote will not count.
Tie Breaker Rule: I do not typically vote in the battles, as such if there is a tie at the end of the prescribed 1 day voting period then my vote will count only then to serve as the tiebreaker.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

What's in the bag?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I love both these films but voted for Unforgiven because it is an anti-western in some terms.  I have no issue if Seven wins this matchup.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

He's a nut-bag! Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I love both these films but voted for Unforgiven because it is an anti-western in some terms.  I have no issue if Seven wins this matchup.

I agree. Tough decision for me as I love Se7en and also believe Fincher should have won an Oscar for Best Director.

Unforgiven was stunning. Like you said, it took an entirely different approach to the Western genre. Instead of romanticizing it, we got realism instead. This is possibly Eastwood's greatest performance and he was robbed of the Best Actor Oscar by Pacino.

It should have been the last western ever made because nobody will ever top it. I like how Eastwood said he was never doing another, and has stuck by that promise.

For the record, It's "what's in the box??", not bag.

dr_love6977

dr_love6977 wrote:

Oops. Also for the record, "Tombstone" was made after "Unforgiven." Definitely a western that should not have been aborted in the wake of the latter.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Tombstone is the SOLE SOLE exception post-Unforgiven. And I think because Tombstone was a classic western in the sense of romanticizing it, Wyatt Earp being the traditional good guy, and of course loading it was a big ensemble, and likable cast, Russell, Kilmer, Biehn, Paxton, Elliot, etc.

But Unforgiven was amazing. Before Gran Torino, it had been Eastwood's final standout performance for quite sometime. Not slagging his films, he did some good ones, but "great" ones, it was Unforgiven, then Torino. He was fantastic in Bridges of Madison County, but that was more a Meryl Streep film, with Eastwood supporting.

dr_love6977

dr_love6977 wrote:

And Kilmer was amazing in Tombstone. Doc Holiday was my hero in my younger days.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Another great Eastwood performance that is always overlooked is Heartbreak Ridge.

I know there's been various westerns since(Tombstone, 3:10 to Yuma, Bad Girls, Dead Man, Maverick,etc.), but Unforgiven was just the perfect final chapter to the genre.

Board footer