You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: M.I.A. releases "Born Free"

Axlin16 wrote:

That video is fucking bad ass. Really rich stuff there, with tons of social commentary. Really liked it.

It also ups the ante on the power of the song, which I felt was average. It's even better in this context. Instrumentally, this song is very very rich.

nugdafied wrote:

Haha, I thought the video I watched was a joke. Like someone was making fun of South Park. The whole ginger thing has been done to death already.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I certainly like the intro to the song.  I'm going to have to check out the video too.

The chorus is slightly lacking for me.  Overall though, I think if it's a good indication of where the rest of the album is headed, this will be a damn good album.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I didn't care for the song all that much.  But the video was entertaining, and certainly controversial.  Mission accomplished.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Nugget of info for all you old school metal heads.....

Iggor Cavalera from Sepultura is playing the drums on this song. Was shocked when I read that. Haven't listened to Sepultura since I was a teenager.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

man that video is indeed a trip

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

YouTube is now claiming that M.I.A.'s label requested it be taken down for copyright infringement. Well in theory, it could just be their hype machine working. It certaintly grabs headlines "M.I.A. new video banned from YouTube".

However, as all of us Guns N' Roses fans know with leaks and live performances, ANYONE can e-mail/contact YouTube and "claim" to be the copyright owner, and get a video yanked. Hell I know artists who get their videos pulled for infringing own their own copyright. That's how stupid YouTube is.

For all we know Lady GaGa contacted them, claimed to be XL to get it yanked out of retaliation. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It's definitely the "hype machine". It doesn't take away from the video at all or lessen its impact, but you have to do unconventional things in this day and age. The era of releasing an album, MTV playing your video, and then ten million people running to the mall to buy your album are long gone. You have to do other things to push your art.

Supposedly she removed it herself to propel the buzz. I see nothing wrong with it. It got worldwide coverage. Had it not been removed, it would have got attention due to its content but the major story surrounding it is the fact it was being censored, which was clearly a calculated move.

The song can now be purchased on Itunes. Like with Paper Planes, hopefully some people here support her even though everybody already heard the track and she gave it away for free the moment it was released.

click the banner below for the link....

25ulfmb.jpg

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Things have definitely changed in the promotion world. I remember the days when Michael Jackson debuting his new video would be an MTV/VH1 event, and sometimes networks like Fox would actually show it in prime time, and it got MILLIONS of viewers.

Things change

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Things have definitely changed in the promotion world. I remember the days when Michael Jackson debuting his new video would be an MTV/VH1 event, and sometimes networks like Fox would actually show it in prime time, and it got MILLIONS of viewers.

Things change

The likes of MTV rarely show music videos anymore. Kinda defeats the purpose of having the name "Music Television" when all you broadcast is reality shows that have nothing to do with music. 16

Board footer