You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: GnREvolution Grunge Madness - Discussion and Results Thread

Saikin wrote:

A grunge battle and all I see is Soundgarden getting eliminated. 

Question, anyone ever actually listen to grunge or been to Seattle and explored the music scene there any?  My guess is no.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I'm surprised that black hole sun lost to river of deceit...but the other ones i'm in agreement with

Pearl Jam - Black, Nirvana - Come As You Are & All Apologies

you gotta admit that's a pretty tough draw for SG in round one hmm

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Strange. I would have thought on a GnR message board SG would have thrived, while PJ & Nirvana struggle.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I'm surprised that black hole sun lost to river of deceit...but the other ones i'm in agreement with

Pearl Jam - Black, Nirvana - Come As You Are & All Apologies

you gotta admit that's a pretty tough draw for SG in round one hmm

Agreed. That's pretty much what I was thinking when I saw the matchups.

For me SG's hits were not the tracks to take on such amazing tunes. Think if Big Dumb Sex, Like Suicide & Overfloater would've been the ones to take those on.

They would've lost imo. At least here at Evo.

But in reality, the songs advancing are a pretty accurate example of how history has and will write the grunge era of rock. Despite their relatively young age, Black, Come As You Are & All Apologies have become modern classics in the genre, played right alongside Sympathy For The Devil, Stairway To Heaven & We Will Rock You. That says something imo.

This is gonna piss Jimmy off, I know... but I gotta admit... I love a shitload of Soundgarden's back catalog, tons of great songs, and overall as a collective discog, I think they are worlds above Nirvana & PJ. But their key songs, are missing a key element that Nirvana's & PJ's didn't - timelessness. SG's songs are trapped firmly in the time period they were made in, with the exception of Louder Than Love & Badmotorfinger (Rusty Cage & Outshined are too 90's). Superunknown & Down On The Upside are total 90's albums, no different Poison's Look What The Cat Dragged In being trapped in the 80's.

Nirvana & PJ' hits, and even AIC's hits (nothing post-Jar of Flies), many are timeless. They have a classic element to their sound, no different than the reason you still hear Beatles songs, and not Beach Boys songs. The reason you'll always hear Jungle & Paradise City, but not Chinese Democracy & Better.

SG songs I think might've been a bit too confined to the sound of their era, and even when they did branch out it was either too experimental or too pop. There was never that sweet spot imo.

I think those reasons are why those songs didn't stand a chance here, outside here, and in the annals of rock history. SG will always be down the list in memory for those reasons.

Black Hole Sun is probably their most instantly recognizable track. And for every BHS, there's 5 trx more from the other bands out there.

jmho

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This is gonna piss Jimmy off, I know... but I gotta admit... I love a shitload of Soundgarden's back catalog, tons of great songs, and overall as a collective discog, I think they are worlds above Nirvana & PJ. But their key songs, are missing a key element that Nirvana's & PJ's didn't - timelessness. SG's songs are trapped firmly in the time period they were made in, with the exception of Louder Than Love & Badmotorfinger (Rusty Cage & Outshined are too 90's). Superunknown & Down On The Upside are total 90's albums, no different Poison's Look What The Cat Dragged In being trapped in the 80's.

It's not gonna piss me off too much because I am in general agreement. My biggest Soundgarden pet peeve is how horrible the singles selection was. They're not honest representations of the albums. For example..how in the fuck do you not release 4th of July as a summer single in 94? Why wasn't the title track used, or Mailman? The Day I Tried To Live was a throwaway single between Spoonman and Black Hole Sun. While hardcore fans were blown away by the album already, if Black Hole Sun doesn't explode, the album would have been in critical condition regarding the general public.

Down on the Upside even worse. It took me over a decade to decide to fully digest that album, so that says a lot about the singles blaring all over the radio back then. When that same crap showed up on A Sides a couple years later, it was just reinforcement at the time that it was an album I didn't need to have in my collection.

Badmotorfinger's singles not as bad, and it didn't matter as much with that album because it was riding the 91-92 grunge wave regardless of what singles were released. That album had a massive buzz and radio was cherry picking songs from it even before it exploded.

Pearl Jam and Nirvana released their best songs as singles. Soundgarden didn't.

As far as placing them behind PJ and Nirvana, I don't agree. You have to remember that SG had no support after breaking up. It was over. Period. People stopped talking about them, could no longer buy any shirts at the mall, radio virtually abandoned them,etc. Hell, they've been reunited six months and don't even have a record label.

They didn't turn into the Grateful Dead like Pearl Jam or have Courtney Love whoring their stuff out to everyone. Everything came to a screeching halt.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Since we arent getting many votes i'm gonna start voting in the polls

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's not gonna piss me off too much because I am in general agreement. My biggest Soundgarden pet peeve is how horrible the singles selection was. They're not honest representations of the albums. For example..how in the fuck do you not release 4th of July as a summer single in 94? Why wasn't the title track used, or Mailman? The Day I Tried To Live was a throwaway single between Spoonman and Black Hole Sun. While hardcore fans were blown away by the album already, if Black Hole Sun doesn't explode, the album would have been in critical condition regarding the general public.

Down on the Upside even worse. It took me over a decade to decide to fully digest that album, so that says a lot about the singles blaring all over the radio back then. When that same crap showed up on A Sides a couple years later, it was just reinforcement at the time that it was an album I didn't need to have in my collection.

Badmotorfinger's singles not as bad, and it didn't matter as much with that album because it was riding the 91-92 grunge wave regardless of what singles were released. That album had a massive buzz and radio was cherry picking songs from it even before it exploded.

Pearl Jam and Nirvana released their best songs as singles. Soundgarden didn't.

As far as placing them behind PJ and Nirvana, I don't agree. You have to remember that SG had no support after breaking up. It was over. Period. People stopped talking about them, could no longer buy any shirts at the mall, radio virtually abandoned them,etc. Hell, they've been reunited six months and don't even have a record label.

They didn't turn into the Grateful Dead like Pearl Jam or have Courtney Love whoring their stuff out to everyone. Everything came to a screeching halt.

Alot of people give Courtney credit for the Nirvana thing, but she was never that popular. The industry knew they had something to market with SLTS, and they did. They told the public Nirvana was their band to support. Period. Even though Louder Than Love, Bleach & Facelift had already been out and didn't really make a mark. Heck, the business could've easily just bypassed STLS, and picked Even Flow to mark the marketing push for grunge.

In some ways, I always imagined some suit in the record industry flipping a coin, and saying "Nirvana tails / Pearl Jam heads"... tails Nirvana gets pimped.

SG just made poor decisions. I was always stunned that Superunknown was their big album. Badmotorfinger is about 10 billion times better.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Round 1 / Battle 11 axed

Alice In Chains - I Stay Away

Round 1 / Battle 12 axed

Mother Love Bone - Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote: