You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Telephantasm certified platinum

James wrote:

This past Monday night (September 27) at the Paramount lot in Los Angeles, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), UMe and gaming publisher Activision Publishing, Inc. awarded SOUNDGARDEN with a platinum plaque acknowledging the innovative partnership and distribution behind SOUNDGARDEN's newest album in 13 years, "Telephantasm" (A&M/UMe). The multi-label, career-spanning retrospective album was released today inside 1 million copies of the new Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. SOUNDGARDEN's groundbreaking partnership with Activision marks the first time a newly released music album has been simultaneously bundled with a videogame launch, and it has opened the door to a new type of RIAA certification: recognizing a band's success based on the sale of non-returnable units from a music label to a gaming company, instead of to a traditional retailer.

"Guitar Hero is a huge platform for music, and embracing alternative outlets is essential to an artist's success in today's marketplace," said Kate Harold, Director of Artist & Industry Relations and the Gold & Platinum Awards Program for the RIAA. "This unique partnership between Universal Music Group and Activision demonstrates the value music brings to other industries and is a perfect example of how modern music companies continue to find new ways to reach fans. I anticipate we'll be seeing more and more of these types of partnerships and cross-pollination of industries which benefit everyone, especially music fans."

"Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, SOUNDGARDEN and Universal Music are breaking new ground with this innovative partnership," said David Haddad, Chief Operating Officer, Guitar Hero. "SOUNDGARDEN's seminal music will be available through all of Guitar Hero's distribution channels — physical retail, digital download through consoles, and the iPhone — proving that Guitar Hero is a platform to bring an interactive music experience to new audiences and fans. We're thrilled to be collaborating with SOUNDGARDEN at such an exciting point in their career."

James

James wrote:

I gotta hurry and buy this album. Hardcores are noticing that at least some of these songs have a different mix.

As long as this Guitar Hero/Rock Band/etc. thing doesn't die down, this looks to be the future of music.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I gotta hurry and buy this album. Hardcores are noticing that at least some of these songs have a different mix.

As long as this Guitar Hero/Rock Band/etc. thing doesn't die down, this looks to be the future of music.

Holy fucking shit, already platinum?  These guys knew what the fuck they were doing with this. 

My problem is the few stores I have gone into HAVEN'T HAD THE ALBUM.  They have Guitar Hero with the album packaged inside, but not the standalone album.  I have no idea what stores have it.  So I ordered it on Amazon and it should be here any time. 

That's my recommendation James.  They have the 2cd/1DVD version it for like $14 or something like that.  It's dirt cheap.  I got it with 1 day shipping for $20. 

The record companies are going to be eating this up.  It's the perfect way to guarantee sales on albums.  Unfortunately, these games don't come out every month.  So we are really only going to see the biggest bands awarded this kind of opportunity.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Nah, Guitar Hero is already on the decline due to oversaturation. Even Rock Band 3 has been held back because it makes more monetary sense to just keep fattening the DLC stuff for RB1 & RB2.

Music games are starting to fall and will continue to do so. It was the future two years ago, now it's peaked and on the backside.

They'll have to find something else to sell music.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Yeah I agree with Axlin on that, it was/is a fad, and while I don't fault bands for being trendy, it's hardly a long term business plan.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

I never said it was a long term plan, because obviously that would be silly, but the record companies will milk this for all they can while the games still sell.

James

James wrote:

Calling it a fad is a bit of a reach although I do see the point. Video game crazes do not have an infinite shelf life. However, so many people play video games now its insane. While Rock Band/Guitar Hero may eventually die off, something similar will take its place.

Holy fucking shit, already platinum?  These guys knew what the fuck they were doing with this.

While it is great news and can certainly help sell more units and of course it gets their name back in the mainstream, it's similar to Chinese Democracy shipping platinum through Best Buy. Main difference is CD turned into a beer coaster in Best Buy warehouses while Telephantasm will actually be in peoples homes.

It was a good strategy though. Releasing it through Guitar Hero takes a lot of pressure off them and probably is a key factor in the decision not to tour now and only doing various promo for it.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Telephantasm came via UPS today.  Was looking through the book and found this:

"This is not a replica of A-Sides, nor is this the long awaited B-Sides album that I assure you is forthcoming and full of Soundgarden originals that have never before been compiled, nor collected under the Soundgarden rubric.  Nor, is this the collection of oddities and covers that will constitute another collection we have planned." - Kim Thayil describing Telephantasm. 

So they have at least 2 more releases planned, and more if they really decide to record.  9

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ So what is it if it's not those things? I'm confused...is there any new music on it, or is it a greatest hits package?

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ So what is it if it's not those things? I'm confused...is there any new music on it, or is it a greatest hits package?

It's a greatest hits, but it also includes songs that haven't seen an official release before. 

He says, "This is, however, an endorsed retrospective of our singles career, augmented with some deeper album tracks that were always fan favorites even when they seemed not to be radio or video friendly....... For you this album collects our most fan friendly songs along with what we regard as strong album tracks that garnered the greatest screams during our lengthy history."

Board footer