You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Duff Joining GNR (Oct 14, 2010) was awesome but dumb

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I finally watched the videos in full last night. Axl sounds fantasic right now. I'm gonna beat it into the ground, but once again close your eyes - you'd think it was 1987 with Axl's voice. Nice Boys sounds like an '88 performance, and YCBM - vocally that is - sounds the best it ever has.

Despite talent being "technically stronger" in other era's, this is the most cohesive most raw traditional new era Guns N' Roses. Everyone seems to like each other, and when the band enjoys bringing even the old guys out it just adds to it much more. It was so fuckin' cool to hear Tommy & Duff doing battling backup vocals on Knockin' On Heaven's Door, even though i'm not a fan of the song post-1992.

I love all of these guys, both old and new. I'm not worried about a full-fledged reunion, i'm just tired of GN'R existing in 2010 in relative obscurity. Let's see some live albums/DVD's, some all new material. Let's see this band truely be active again.

Come on Axl, you've finally gotten back to a 1993 point with the people involved in the band. Don't waste it. Cut new albums, invite all the fuckin' members who wanna be there. Make this whole thing a real experience. This is the best shot you've had since the old days.

Agreed.  When I listen to Nice Boys, it doesn't sound like any time has gone by, let alone over 20 years.  It sounds just like it did back in the day.  Axl sounds incredible.  The band seems to be incredibly cohesive and tight together. 

Axl's getting up there age wise.  His window is shrinking by the day.  Outside of a reunion, right now is the best shot he has to really do something with GNR.  If he doesn't want to take that opportunity, then just fucking reunite already and get it over with. 

All the members currently in GNR deserve to see this go somewhere and not stay on the sidelines.  If he's not willing to deliver, it's time to reunite before that's too late and you turn into the Rolling Stones.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I also have a sneaky feeling that Axl might want to show Duff that he's been able to pull this thru to London in 2010, a full sold out O2 arena. There's a huge audience and Axl's up there singing his ass of; "Hey, look what I managed on my own". I think he want to make an impression on Duff that he actually have done some good. That's just my feeling and it may be more MY feeling than Axl's. But his effort on these songs are amazing. It's the absolute BEST I've ever heard him.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Duff just looks so good standing next to Axl. Last time I felt this good was VR. I know most of you guys don't even like VR - but going to see them after I'd not seen slash with anyone but snakepits since GNR days - and there with Matt and Duff, it looked so *right*. Although I still want steven to have his day in the sun with slash again...he deserves it IMO.

Sorry to be a reunion whore for the day...but I can't imagine how awesome it would look with modern shredding slash up there with Axl's awesome voice, the buffed up sober duff....fuck it would be mindblowing.

It probably wont happen I guess, and I do enjoy and respect the new band, but all it takes is a few seconds of something like this and you feel as if the last 15 years has been some kind of bizzare dream where things went strange...like from a fan point of view...all the divisions could end and we could go back to having a unified band that blows the shit out of anyone else who dares get up on stage before or after them.

Ok...i'm shutting up now!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Wait i'm not done afterall.

I was just thinking man.

How does a 17 yo Slash meet a 17 yo Axl or whatever the fuck age they were when it happened.

How does that happen. I know LA was a hub for music and all. But come on. How many people got chops like slash, how many got Axl's voice. What are the odds that those two fuckers happen to know guys like Izzy and Duff and whatever.

It's hard to believe it's all coincidence when if the last 20 years have taught me anything it's that you can't even hand pick a line up that matches the pure rock fucking power of those chance meetings.

I feel like we live in one of those time travel movies. Like Back to the Future 2 in the alternate 1985 when it's all fucked up.

Hey, if they want slash and Axl can continue to thwart fate and play alone, it's their choice, but surely they must be going against either god or some kind of cosmic law or something, as it's almost certain they were supposed to meet and compliment each other's style. Anything else is too hard to believe.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

You are right.. Axl planned it all along, he stole a delorean and handed his 17 yo self a copy of AFD..

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

How does a 17 yo Slash meet a 17 yo Axl or whatever the fuck age they were when it happened.

How does that happen. I know LA was a hub for music and all. But come on. How many people got chops like slash, how many got Axl's voice. What are the odds that those two fuckers happen to know guys like Izzy and Duff and whatever.

have you read reckless road by marc canter and slash's autobio?

Canter does a good job ast documenting how they met and what not...slash fills in a couple holes...i havent read Adler's book yet so i dunno how his book ties in to the origins

short version

Slash lived around the LA area most of his life, Izzy moved out, Axl followed shortly after, duff had aspirations to play guitar in a rock or punk band so he picked up and moved out to LA from Seattle

Hollywood Rose, LA Guns, Raod Crew and various other bands were always changing and or swapping members for about 3 or 4 years so at any given time one of these guys may be playing with another...duff met them all by initally being a roady for Road Crew for Slash and Steven

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

I also have a sneaky feeling that Axl might want to show Duff that he's been able to pull this thru to London in 2010, a full sold out O2 arena. There's a huge audience and Axl's up there singing his ass of; "Hey, look what I managed on my own". I think he want to make an impression on Duff that he actually have done some good. That's just my feeling and it may be more MY feeling than Axl's. But his effort on these songs are amazing. It's the absolute BEST I've ever heard him.

I think Axl was being very specific when he started You Could Be Mine and Duff was beside Axl front-and-center, and while singing the verse "and I rip your heart in two", he looked directly at Duff, screamed it, and then smirked.

I don't think Axl was being maliciously but I guranfuckintee you that was Axl's little moment after 17 years of bullshit to say, "I can sell out London's O2 Arena with or without you".

Despite what everyone thinks, after 17 years, 19 if you count Izzy, Axl had the last laugh. He won. Guns N' Roses will exist and be profitable with or without Slash & Duff.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Despite what everyone thinks, after 17 years, 19 if you count Izzy, Axl had the last laugh. He won. Guns N' Roses will exist and be profitable with or without Slash & Duff.

Didn't Slash just do the same this past year?  And he doesn't even sing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

pure class.....

tommy_stinson

i can hardly put into words how awesome it was for me to have duff come up last night. been a long time comin. what a fun ass show. thanks     

9:18 PM Oct 15th  via TweetDeck

Would love to see those two do a guest spot on either a Tommy or Duff solo album. Probably never happen but there's mutual respect there so anything is possible.

Much more likely than my pipe dream of Tommy burying the hatchet with Bucket and doing a song or two with him. I think there's some untapped chemistry there that needs tapping. 16

Also agree that Duff should have been out there for It's So Easy.

As far as the overall topic, I don't think reunion dreams should go overboard. It is one minor step closer, but fans should just savor the cool moment and not dig too deep into it. Just seeing Axl and Duff on the same stage is cool and I do agree with DCK that Duff seemed a bit awkward but really its only natural. He's not been onstage with Axl since 93. The awkwardness probably had nothing to do with the other guys and was more like a surreal moment.

Axl had the last laugh. He won.

14 That is most definitely open to debate. I do not like VR except for a few songs(Slither, FTP, Messages, Psycho Killer) but VR were definitely more successful than new GNR and please spare me CD album sales from Timbuktu and Sri Lanka. 16

Watched the Duff vids while hanging out over at my uncle's last night, and his comment about it made me wonder if its a typical opinion of a casual fan witnessing this....

"If he's still doing that(meaning YCBM and the other tracks), why not just bring the rest of the guys back?"

Not trying to start up a big reunion argument, just posting his initial reaction while watching the vids.

Come on Axl, you've finally gotten back to a 1993 point with the people involved in the band. Don't waste it. Cut new albums, invite all the fuckin' members who wanna be there. Make this whole thing a real experience. This is the best shot you've had since the old days.

I don't think he'll ever have a better shot than he did in 2001, but I do agree that its now or never if he wants to step up to the plate and start to actually utilize his talents. His revolving door can include current members, old members, and new members/guest appearances. Kick some ass in the studio with whatever talent he decides to use and if/when touring, just use the same group of guys he has now or some new ones.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think Axl won at all, but I do think Axl thinks he won. The reality (to me at least) is that they all lost and nobody won except for Axl's leeches.

Board footer