You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Dave Navarro on Chinese

sic. wrote:
madagas wrote:

Slash has two truly legendary songs and that is it.

Maddy, I like Shotgun Blues and Anything Goes too, but you gotta face reality one day.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

No Navarro please... -_-. He's a cool guy but I've never felt too much love for his playing

Sky Dog wrote:

ruffled some feathers with that one...guess all you want..don't talk about Mr Guitar Hero....:haha::smile: I'm not kidding, I could name ten more guitar players who shit all over Slash. It doesn't mean I don't like Slash. It just means I don't think he is the end all be all of rock guitar players.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

When he said two legendary songs, I assumed he was referring to SCOM & Paradise City.

Sky Dog wrote:

when ever I think Mr Tophat is a great "rocker", I just watch something like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqRytQos … re=related

but, hey, I know, this guy could never write a track like Be The Ball.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:

Navarro is easily as good as Slash and in my opinion Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking is on par with AFD. Great guitar player from a great band. Navarro's solo on Three Days from Ritual de lo Habitual is huge.

Navarro can play anything Slash can, true, but can Navarro write like Slash can?  OH MY GOD would say "no".  Navarro is better than Finck for sure.  In the rock world and all time greats, Navarro's name will never come up, Slash will.  He was good in RHCP, but was he "better" than Fruciante (sp)?

Madagas, seriously?  A Janes Addiction album as good as "Appetite".  Seriously?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

So does Hendrix. Actually, a case could be made that he only has one.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:

ruffled some feathers with that one...guess all you want..don't talk about Mr Guitar Hero....:haha::smile: I'm not kidding, I could name ten more guitar players who shit all over Slash. It doesn't mean I don't like Slash. It just means I don't think he is the end all be all of rock guitar players.

Look, you are putting Townsend and Richards (famous for RYTHYM playing) on a level with Hendrix and Page?  Slash as a lead player is the last true Rock Guitar God.  Navarro is just a "good, solid" rock guitar player, but what about rock guitar did he change?  I would rather have Zakk Wylde over Navarro, but Axl fucked that up long ago.  Zakk, too was one of the last true heros of rock guitar.  As a guitar player, the more Slash stuff I learn the more he blows me away with his note selection and phrasing.   It kills me to read some of the stuff I read here some times.  If anything, Navarro is a little overrated.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

So does Hendrix. Actually, a case could be made that he only has one.

Sweet Child O'mine alone is more impressive than Navarro's whole catalogue.  HA!

Slash isn't the best ever, but he has written some of the most classic riffs in rock history.  That says something.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Nothing's Shocking changed music, in a way similiar to AFD.

You would often find Axl in those days wearing a Jane's shirt, and lamenting that no one took him seriously.

Board footer