You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: What do you think were 2008's best horror movies?

Gunslinger wrote:

Just wanting to get your opinion of some of the best horror movies of 2008!

Here's a few of my personal favoites from last year:

Diary of the Dead - Any surprise?

The Strangers - This one I had to consider if I really wanted to add to the list.  This film did not realize its potential but still yet was better than the average releases.  The creepiness still managed to come through.

Cloverfield - Again a movie who couldn't live up to the hype yet it did well enough to be one of the better movies of the year.

Midnight Meat Train - This was an adaption from one of Clive Barker's Books of Blood short stories and is perhaps the best adaption of any of his stories since Hellraiser, (which came from The Hellbound Heart).  Solid story and great visuals.

The Ruins - Excellent character development and a solid story make up for some obvious intellectual flaws.  Still a solid movie all around.

The Eye - And no it's not because Jessica Alba is just smoking hot, it is actually a decent movie...surprisingly.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Honestly? 2008 was one of the most disappointing years in horror, at least for me. The Ruins was alright, I guess. Nothing to write home about. Mirrors was a real letdown, considering how much I've championed Alex Aja and enjoyed his other works. The best "dark" movie of '08 was ironically The Dark Knight. Yup, a half-decade on from the golden, comeback year that was 2003, horror was hurtin' pretty bad in '08. Here's hoping 2009 sees the genre regain some of its footing. I have high hopes. We've got new Friday the 13th, Halloween, and possibly A Nightmare on Elm Street flicks headed our way. My Bloody Valentine 3D honestly looks badass. Sam Raimi finally (finally!!) returns to his horror roots with Drag Me to Hell. Even the new Underworld prequel is looking damn fun.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree that 2008 was a terrible year for horror. The worst this decade. I'm gonna have to say Diary of the Dead was my favorite, which is a surprise since I'm not really a fan of zombie flicks. Inside was pretty good, although I think that might be from 2007. I'll go ahead and include the Shutter remake, although the original is better.

The Eye was a solid film, but like Shutter its inferior to its Asian counterpart.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

To be honest, I haven't seen one single horror film from this year.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

You guys are very correct in saying 2008 was a bad year for horror, that made this thread harder than I originally considered.  When I started listing my pics of the year I was like..."there has to be some I'm forgetting".  Unfortunately that really wasn't the problem, it was just a bad year.  I did forget Shutter however, that was a decent one.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The sad thing is alot of fuckin' hot women are in the new horror films... but the films are just so awful, it doesn't make it worth it anymore to me.

After years of watching horror films, it takes alot to impress me, even if you are a low-budget / low-hype film.

Board footer