You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Axl Rose Speaks to Billboard

James wrote:

Look I'll admit it Slash is a media whore who gives interviews like once every month.

Why does that make him a 'media whore'? What's wrong with an artist talking to the media regularly and reaching out to their fans?

I never understood that particular dig at Slash. I like it when artists I'm interested in do interviews, or even talk to fans directly. I know there aren't many rap fans here, but I communicate with Rye Rye through email every now and then. Sometimes she even leaves comments on the GNR Evolution myspace page. I think its a pretty cool thing for an artist to do such things, but apparently GNR fans would rather artists either ignore or shit on their fan base.

Silence breeds contempt, and you need look no further than all these GNR sites for a clear cut example of that.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Exactly. Just because Slash actually talks to the media, that doesn't make him a "media whore".

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

As for the interview, it's a damn shame that Axl is still so bitter about Slash after all these years. He formed a great new lineup but still feels that Slash is hanging over his shoulder when Slash already moved on long ago.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

So much for me trying to woo bigbri back here. The claws are out now, Bono & Smokin' Guns are here, lol. 14

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

This is gonna sound cliche, but this site wouldn't exist to dedicate to the new band, if it wasn't for the old band. I don't find it pathetic at all that people like the old band, and want to see them return. What's wrong with that? Nothing. Granted, they are not allowed to shit on Axl or the new guys, but there's nothing wrong with that. I like both.

This is a true statement.  However, there is a place on the forum to discuss the old band, and it's not in this section.  I get tired of seeing so many threads turn into Axl vs. Slash debates, but it seems Axl isn't done with that either. 

I can't help but wonder if the fans bitching about Slash not being in GNR anymore isn't a cause of Axl's feelings towards Slash.  Whenever he reads these forums, 9/10 times he will read something about Slash. 

From the way he speaks of Slash in his interview, I think that's further proof that Sorry is in fact about Slash primarily.

But as fans, we can't exactly get everything we would like. We've sat back and bitched and bitched until we were blue in the face about how Axl hasn't done any interviews, and then when he does, he just gets shit all over by his own fan base.  He did an interview, I think that's a step in the right direction.  People have been so anxious to hear Axl's side of the story.  Well, here's a good portion of it- but people still bitch? It wasn't what a lot of people wanted to hear.  It wasn't what people wanted him to say.  Too bad.  It's nice to see him do an interview.

As usual Axl blames everyone else for everything.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

When Axl took the name with him he took a double edged sword.  There were positives with having the brand name and setting up a new band under that banner, but there was also baggage that came with it.  Consequently he is continually faced with that baggage from the media & certain portions of the fan base.  It's a fact of life and it was always going to happen, I'm sure he knew it was an inevitable consequence.

Clearly Axl thought he was bigger than the name itself and could overcome any baggage associated with the name, hence the route he took.  But to date it doesn't seem like he has been able to.  Whether he likes it or not there seems to be a large portion of the media and fans that simply refuse to accept that its Guns N' Roses unless a guy with a top hat is on lead, regardless of what Axl and NuGNR do.  I'm not saying that's my view but it certainly seems to be the view of a lot of different parties.

He has had 15 odd years to try and change that view and show the world it's still GN'R without Slash.  Unfortuantely for him it doesn't seem like he has succeeded and maybe he will never ever change the weight of public opinion to the extent that he would like.  But there's no point him blaming Slash because a large portion of the public and media believe Slash is just as much Guns N' Roses as Axl is, and without him it's not GN'R.  Axl took his chances, played his hand but unfortunately for him it seems he lost that round.  Suck it up and move on.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

some thoughts on this interview:
- he never countered Niven's claims
- he's boring us all to death with his Slash fixation
- GNR will never be what the fans want it to be again (old or new line up)
- I remain a massive fan of the man but I'm bored as fuck with his  incessant  winging.
- I still think he cannot believe fully in GNR without Slash and I think he projects his hatred of himself onto Slash for feeling that way.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

People label Slash a media whore because certain malicious characters in the GN'R community planted those seeds of resentment, same goes for all the Slash is liar nonsence. Its a pathetic attempt to tear down the biggest percieved  threat to the success of this version of GN'R. The sad thing is if the inflated egos at the root of it all took a good hard look at themselves, things might be a little brighter.

Having another look at this interview it doesnt seem like Axl is focused at all on the music and moving forward. Any question about music was answered in basically one or two sentances, the bulk of the interview was him ranting again about how everyone is out to get him.
These are difficult and worrying times for many people. Noone is going to want to hear from a spoiled millionaire rockstar complaining about being giving millions in advance to fund his vanity project at his leisure over the course of 15 years, then showing how far out of touch he is from reality, by claiming to be at the mercy of cut throat loan sharks, those evil doers who gave him those millions and leisure time to make a record.

Go down to a local blue collar bar Axl, tell your tale of woe to some of the guys in there who are are facing the prospect of losing their jobs and their homes, tell it to the people who are already sleeping in their cars or under the stars. Tell it to the people who, in a last desperate act,  have actually put themselves at the mercy of cut throat loan sharks just to pay the rent and put food on the table.
Gimmie a fuckin break roll

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

beautifully put Olorin.

Board footer