You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: GUNS N' ROSES To Play Italy In May Or June?

Mikkamakka wrote:

If they can't even cut a video of live footage in 2 months than how could they do a tour?

axlcrazy
 Rep: 4 

axlcrazy wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

If they can't even cut a video of live footage in 2 months than how could they do a tour?

seriously!:nervous:

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

what does the one have to do with the other?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:

well, if he two most prevelant guitarists on cd are not there to play the music live i don't know what to think.

maybe it would back axl up against the wall and the reunion would finally take place.

I doubt it. I honestly believe the only thing that would motivate axl to reunite would be a change in his personal feelings/heart towards those people combined with them reaching out to him in the same manner. And that doesnt seem like it will ever happen.

It's clear he is not affected by dollars, public pressure, fans, industry concerns and so forth on the issue.

If he could continue GNR without the original guys, its probably easier to continue new-guns with similar replacements. I dont think these events make reunions more likely, they just cause the 'dead periods' and delays and limit the overall output for GNR over the years.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I guess my litmus test wasn't met.....

Oh well. He cant please everybody. I wish them luck.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Arcade Roses wrote:

Well, if it were not for this forum (though it is also *buried* in this only fairly interesting thread on here), and the link to ChineseDemocracy.com, I would not have known about this news.

Of course, important news about the possible upcoming (world?) tour for next year was moved to the 'Former Gunners' thread on mygnr, as the news was only pertaining to the guitarist who absolutely 'stole the show' and governed GNR's comeback album, was the greatest guitarist GN'R ever had, etc..

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

The second and more serious thing is that the ultimate failure of Chinese Democracy was confirmed tonight.  Of course, it was out of Axl's/their/MGT's hands when it came to the proper planned promotion of this thing being pulled, but the lack of any virtual real push, further promotion, or even 'putting names to faces' (something which the fanbase has mentioned several times before) of this thing, once the by now ultra-thin mist of intrigue was dissolved when it hit the shelf, has buried the myth and GN'R's 'round 2(?)' comeback.  In fact, you could say it actually made that part of the wait in vein.  They should have capitalised on the intrigue!  (Kaneda/Chris said something about this on mygnr yesterday.)

Of course, it was cool that they put the album on Myspace, majorly featured Buckethead in the (z-list did Axl say??) booklet, but, looking at the situation/how the album has fared here in England...?:headbang:  That part of the wait was in vein - though it was not partly Axl/GNR's fault.  And, with no Buckethead on the cards it now seems, and even less of the original, 2000-04 band in place to boot, any future plans/albums will probably suffer the same fate.  (Thal also said something cryptically like he was 'going to rehearsals' (not a quote) today.)

Just listening to Coldplay's 'Violet Hill' now.  Looks that song was like the 'Chinese Democracy' of that album: a short, sharp, to-the-point, rocky single that reintroduced this current, relevant band back to the masses.  This was followed up by the popular title track 'Viva La Vida' (like 'Better' is the most popular track on CD, even though I don't like it that much myself).  This track was given a hugeeeeee push and a great video; was a big hit for the band last year.  Obviously, that album was more successful than Chinese Democracy, because the right approach was there.  Yet, for these 'reasons' (not that I doubt them though), CD did not have that long-anticipated fate.  The wait was in vein in that regard, like I said.

As someone suggested many moons ago, the best thing GN'R could hope for now would be to become a U2 style band; releasing new music - although I regard U2's new music post that 2001 album as very mediocre in fact even forgettable - every couple of years, so functioning like that.  Rumours are they certainly already have the material to do so....

Others have suggested a more NIN-type direction.  When Ben Jones, a DJ on Absolute Radio UK, was introducing 'Better', he said:
'Forget the wait.  Forget how much it cost.  Just forget all that.  It's just a great rock song.  [Fair call IMHO.]
'No Slash.  No Duff.  No Izzy.  Just Axl.  This is new from Guns N' Roses.  This is called "Better".'
Like NIN is just Trent.  Not even a mention of Buckethead (though I am sure he knows about him), Finck, and all the other talented musicians who helped create this music.  This is repaying Tommy's loyalty?

(FWIW another AR DJ (Champion I think) said: '... the general consensus is, "Yeah... but the old stuff's better"'.)  The station loved 'SOD' though.

Amid all this, I wish the band the best of luck with 'Plan C' (no Bucket, no Finck (we understand)... but at least Brain may be back... and 4tus may be busy with Rhianna).

Put Pitman on bass again (if Tommy is with SA and can't make it...)... let him take centre stage.  Pitmen of the world... unite!

chris-pitman-personal-photo-2.jpg

AR

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That's a cool pic.....

GNR will obviously always be a rotating line up. I said years ago it was NIN, and that has come to pass. In ways that might make it easier, but it also makes things more difficult. People get attached to specific musicians and their contributions. Buckethead a great example, and another is Stinson. Couple years ago I didn't give two shits about Stinson. Now I would consider it a huge blow if he left. The 2008 leaks showed that the entire 01 lineup was able to bring its 'A game' to the table. Unfortunately that vibe they had going was destroyed so some unneeded things could be added.

While its not the greatest album and it has its weaknesses, there was tons of potential with that line up. Nothing groundbreaking and they obviously couldn't write any top 10 hits to save their lives, but there are some interesting things going on in these songs that shows Axl was/is capable of breaking out of the old GNR mold.

I'd love to hear a Praxis record from that line up. Not just anyone could record something in that fashion.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Arcade Roses wrote:

Actually, seeing as Buckethead has come up (like he does every time this era of GN'R is mentioned - a perfectly logical thing), I remember a while ago one of our esteemed users on this forum saying that, of future Guns N' Roses albums, 'It would be suicide for Axl to return to the studio without Buckethead'.

I'm gonna put that to him (Axl) the next time he comes on.

Separately, with all this talk of videos, I'm also gonna ask him if that supposed 2002 video shoot/pictures were real.  (General consensus is they're not but still.)

James, I agree on nothing groundbreaking but not the 'can't write any top 10 hits to save their lives' bit.  This band has/had Buckethead, Soul Asylum's Tommy Stinson in.  Look at some of the great musicians and songwriters who have come through the door down the years - i.e. Moby and Marco Beltrami.  Robin Finck helped co-write 'Better', even though I personally am not a big fan of the song....  Dizzy Reed - did he write some of or some (piano/keyboard?) parts on the UYI material?  I'm not even gonna mention what the lead singer has wrote in the past (and in my view is still doing)....

Also, I was surprised that I actually liked Ron's additions - of course Tommy's bass in the 2008 leaks was my preference, IMHO.  The biggest losses were the solos - 'Catcher' and 'Rhiad' solos?  I never liked the original 'Rhiad' solo but IMHO what made the final cut was far from the answer either....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I honestly believe the only mainstays for GN'R, other than Axl, will be Dizwald & Mother Goose.

Everything else will be interchangable.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

As someone suggested many moons ago, the best thing GN'R could hope for now would be to become a U2 style band; releasing new music - although I regard U2's new music post that 2001 album as very mediocre in fact even forgettable - every couple of years, so functioning like that.  Rumours are they certainly already have the material to do so....

Others have suggested a more NIN-type direction.  When Ben Jones, a DJ on Absolute Radio UK, was introducing 'Better', he said:
'Forget the wait.  Forget how much it cost.  Just forget all that.  It's just a great rock song.  [Fair call IMHO.]
'No Slash.  No Duff.  No Izzy.  Just Axl.  This is new from Guns N' Roses.  This is called "Better".'
Like NIN is just Trent.  Not even a mention of Buckethead (though I am sure he knows about him), Finck, and all the other talented musicians who helped create this music.  This is repaying Tommy's loyalty?

The problem with these options is that it goes counter to what we know about Axl's habits.  Option 1 requires him to release material once every few years.  But as we all know it takes him a long time to produce and tweak the music to his liking.  It's taken him more than a month to produce a Better video.  Maybe this will change with Azoff as his manager but I doubt it.  Axl has to have some sort of incentive to release material quickly otherwise he will sit on his thumbs and be deliberate when it comes to his material.

The NIN option is a lot more interesting to consider but ultimately would require a whole lot of work from Axl.  First and foremost he will have to totally overhaul the current website.  He would then have to provide video clips/audio content in conjunction with any major release.  I think he could provide updates on any album/music via chat on any of the major GNR forums; so that would not be a major problem.  I just don't see him as the type to provide entire albums for downloading to the general public.  I can't really explain why but I just don't see him going this route.

I think we'll all have answers around June though as that is when BB exclusive deal expires.  Plus, we should see whether this Italy rumor is true or the usual BS.

Board footer