You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

Sky Dog wrote:

David Fricke is my favorite rock journalist. I almost always agree with his reviews...THANKS Saikin and James for the links. 3

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Bono, it's only a couple of weeks, actually less. You can hold out. Don't dilute the full experience by downloading it.

That said, I got a succesful download and am gonna listen to it today.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so does this album sound any good? i cant beleive it leaked so early...i hate that boots single...where does that track rank in the over all album?

Honestly Neemo, I hated the single too, but when you listen to the album as a whole you realize how freakin good it all is.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I am a U2 fan. I got into the band back in 2000 when the All That You Can't Leave Behind album came out. Before, hand I didn't know much about them.

So No Line On The Horizon is personally a huge let down. I digged the last album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

White As Snow is the only song I like off this album. It reminds me of Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland). I find it epic and love this song. The rest is a let down. Until further listening.

Get On Your Boots? Has the worst lyrics by U2 ever.

2.5 stars out of 5 in my opinion, as it stands.

Now I might like the album if I sit down and listen to it in whole. I just did snippets of some songs. But, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy are horrible.

- SDK

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Listening to the album now, and I can honestly say that No Line on the Horizon was a terrible choice for the opening track. Should have just went with Get On Your Boots since it was the 1st single, although neither track sets the tone for the record. Not sure what would have been a proper opener since it has no Vertigo type explosion. If I had any input on track sequencing, I would have suggested Magnificent or I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight.

"The Sweetest Melody is the one we haven't heard...."

Such a simple yet powerful line.

James

James wrote:

I don't like Breathe. Music is great, but Bono's vocal delivery doesn't really "gel" with what's going on in the song. Sounds a bit forced. He seems to be channeling Michael Stipe a bit on certain verses on this track by just throwing words at the music hoping it sticks.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't like Breathe. Music is great, but Bono's vocal delivery doesn't really "gel" with what's going on in the song. Sounds a bit forced. He seems to be channeling Michael Stipe a bit on certain verses on this track by just throwing words at the music hoping it sticks.

I kind of get this vibe from a lot of the songs.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but sometimes it seems like some of the stuff just doesn't gel together.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I kind of get this vibe from a lot of the songs.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but sometimes it seems like some of the stuff just doesn't gel together.

Bono does seem to be the weaker link on this album.  I agree with James that Magnificent or I'll Go Crazy should have opened this album. 

I've noticed from a few fan reviews that I've read, that those who liked How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb generally don't care for this album, but those who thought that album was just okay like this album a lot more.  It makes me interested to go through and start listening to U2's discography.

James

James wrote:

I would never consider a Bono a weak link in any regard whatsoever. Hell, he blows 99.9% of the artists discussed here completely off the stage. U2 was the ONLY band in 1991 that could give that pre-Gilby UYI line up a run for its money.

I guess I insinuated he is a weak link on that specific track, but I think its a case of just trying too hard to get the song completed.

saikin, you should definitely dive into their discography. Don't take the easy way out with a hits record either because you'll miss too many gems. Start with The Joshua Tree. If songs on that don't move you, then just give up. 16

Sky Dog wrote:

...first one to jump out at me from a rock/riff standpoint is Stand Up Comedy....digging this track.:)

Board footer