You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: First Listen: Green Day's '21st Century Breakdown'

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

PaSnow wrote:
Saikin wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Green Day made almost every girl cry during my prom. Now that just bleeds punk.

Your prom was pre-American Idiot wasn't it? 16

I'll bet any amount of money it was 'Time of Your Life"

I'm with Jorge on this one. I don't think AI was anti-American.. and I wouldn't want a song to directly reference Iraq, or Bush/Cheney etc. I like it to be more vague. 3rd Eye Blind has a pretty political song out now, that borders on corny because of this. And I haven't really listened to/read all the lyrics, but Jesus of Suburbia is a great song.

Besides, pre-American Idiot Green Day was going downhill & stale. Dookie was never anything more than music for 16 year olds with hair dyed with blue or red kool aid stuff. And their albums began using the same 3 chord schticks over & over (Minority, Warning.. aren't they the same song?!). I can understand if ppl didn't like AI, or Russ thinking it's overrated, but without it they would have faded into obscurity.

It's called "Good Riddance", god, jeez... 16 It's like the Baba O'Reilly of 90s ballads.

American Idiot wasn't super anti-American, but I felt they promoted it like it was. Which was my problem - the music and the image didn't line up. If you're going to be political and anti-American, then do it. But the music wasn't, and I could never separate the two - or the way the press mooned over it. Maybe I need to listen to it again - but I only remember liking Holiday and Jesus of Suburbia, and tolerating a few others (Boulevard of Broken Dreams and September Ends were goodish too but played to death.)

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I remember when that song was played at all the dances and graduation ceremonies in the 90's.  It's hilarious because it seemed no one got what the song was really about.  They even put it in the title and people still didn't get that it wasn't a 'happy' and 'optimistic' song of reminiscing on memories and the past. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I actually thought that song was okay, 'til everyone beat into the ground.

You just couldn't escape the fucker. They played it for every goddamn thing. Dances, graduation, funerals, breakups, the McGwire/Sosa '98 home run chase, the Super Bowl, the Seinfeld series finale...

After awhile it was like "just go away". I rank it up there with songs like Karma Chameleon & Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

http://stereogum.com/archives/new-green … 55931.html

First leak of a new Green Day tune - sounds like an American Idiot reject. Overly-grandiose, epic by design, and lacking in anything memorable. It's like Green Day does Madagascar.

This track will be excusable if the majority of the album is better, so I'm not hopeless, but it looks like another American Idiot to me.

Yeah, after listening it sounds like Jesus of Suburbia II. Same concept, 3 chord part, slow part, excessively fast part. Another 3 part song.

It's a good song, but just sounds rehashed. The rest of the album could be different. I was hoping for more of a rock sound, less punk. Instead it's more from AI. Lacking a bit in originality considering they did this before.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Von wrote:

Please curb the homophobic slurs.

Did I miss something?

I didn't realize it was a page back when I made the comment, but I wanted to clarify what I was referring to. I don't like that kind of language on this site. Period.

Axlin08 wrote:

With that said... Gay Day fans should like it. It's totally them. Fag.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Green Day is so bad -_-. Hoping the music sounds good, but expecting something way too forced and not relevant to today's music scene (even though people will like and play it because it's Green Day and wooooo! They're cool right?!)

I'd rather listen to bands like Paramore and The Killers, who at least are keeping up with the scene and are making music that's less thought out and more playful than Green Day who just make me feel like they take themselves way too seriously and are outdated/just liked by radio DJ's who enjoyed Green Day when they were in the 90's. And yes, this is coming from a Guns N' Roses fan. The irony.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Von wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Von wrote:

Please curb the homophobic slurs.

Did I miss something?

I didn't realize it was a page back when I made the comment, but I wanted to clarify what I was referring to. I don't like that kind of language on this site. Period.

Axlin08 wrote:

With that said... Gay Day fans should like it. It's totally them. Fag.

Kind of hypocritcal from a Guns N' Roses board, supporting a band with a clearly racist and homophobic song.

A couple of facts...

1) It's not homophobic when you refer to straight people as fags, like I love to do.

2) Yeah, it's pretty lame to refer gays as such, and I have never done so, nor will I ever. I don't support it, but at the same time I also don't support censorship in a satrical and comedy manner.

3) I figured the fact that I mentioned the great, late, and gay Freddie Mercury must be spinning in his grave, a negative comment towards Green Day being compared to Queen, would reinforce the humor in the song being fag, and also make it very clear that it's not homophobic.

4) I think it's very gay that I have to explain all of this. I suggest a sense of humor, and to also not pick specific words out of statements, throw them out of context, simply because I insulted your beloved Green Day.

I don't think this is about homophobia at all, because it clearly wasn't homophobic. Your hiding behind the argument, because I attacked Green Day.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

So has the green day album leaked yet?

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Kind of hypocritcal from a Guns N' Roses board, supporting a band with a clearly racist and homophobic song.

Then by that same logic, go through the Rihanna thread and delete every single post you made that didn't support what Chris Brown did.

Seriously, that's a pretty bad statement when you were on the other side of the fence in another conversation.  Or is it just relative upon your opinions?  If you don't like domestic abuse, then that argument is bad.  If you like using gay-slurs, then that argument is good. 14

3) I figured the fact that I mentioned the great, late, and gay Freddie Mercury must be spinning in his grave, a negative comment towards Green Day being compared to Queen, would reinforce the humor in the song being fag, and also make it very clear that it's not homophobic.

4) I think it's very gay that I have to explain all of this. I suggest a sense of humor, and to also not pick specific words out of statements, throw them out of context, simply because I insulted your beloved Green Day.

This is a classic example of what not to do when arguing.  Just because you referenced Freddie Mercury (and he's gay) doesn't mean it makes you not homophobic or takes out the offense of any of your statements.  It doesn't reinforce the statement, it actually makes it worse.

I don't see how this is throwing it out of context when you called all Green Day fans gay.  That's clearly offensive and I'm sure offensive to some people on this board as they are themselves, Green Day fans.

Board footer