You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Halloween 3D in summer 2010

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. You'd have primarily Carpenter's vision existing as the franchise, and that one little reunion film to see Loomis & Mikey back doing what they do best. Plus that ending to H4, was fuckin' ace. The coming full circle, with Loomis screaming in horror, holding down on little Jamie. Fuckin EN-TER-TAIN-MENT is what that was. Perfect ending. In a sad sense, the sequels/remakes have kind of glorified that ending into being cornball, when originally, it was pretty damn awesome. Kind of like with H2O trying to regain some street cred for Halloween, and that pretty awesome scene of Laurie chopping Michael's head off, and then doing the heavy breathing, with the old Halloween theme. Another good - STOP, right now - moment. But of course, it was completely killed with the beginning of Resurrection.

I do question the viability of getting a 'good film' under the Halloween moniker at this point. How many times can you really see Michael Myers kill teengers? Like I said before, I think it's about regaining the 'tone' of the series. Recreating that seasonal atmosphere.

No different than making sure a Christmas movie, has a Christmas-vibe, once upon a time, Halloween was a spooky Halloween film.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

Writer and Director Confirmed for 'Halloween 3D'
Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bloody Disgusting & Dread Central received confirmed word this evening that Patrick Lussier has officially signed the dotted line to direct Halloween 3D for Dimension Films. He'll be heading to Haddonfield with Todd Farmer, who will be penning the screenplay. The duo previously worked together on MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D for Lionsgate, making them perfect candidates to bring Michael Myers to theaters in 3D. Shooting is scheduled for this fall. What do you guys think of the news?

Source: Bloody Disgusting, Dread Central

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll have to wait for more news before deciding my interest in this. Is this a sequel to Zombie's mess, a complete reboot to get a new franchise going, or is it a stand alone film?

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

I don't know, it hasn't been said yet. Todd Farmer is the one who wrote Jason X which is why I'm not excited but I haven't seen My Bloody Valentine 3D yet.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

If Todd Farmer is writing it, something tells me Zombie's films will be viewed as stand-alones, and this film will probably be more like a Friday The 13th 2009 reboot. Connected to the old films with little winks and nods, but also paving it's own path.

Todd is a great guy, and great with fans, because he IS a fan of these types of movies. Really down to earth. Problem is... he did write Jason X. It all depends on how you view Jason X. Jason X was INTENDED to be campy. So it's not like Todd did a bad job. He wrote it to be cornball and hokey. And on a popcorn fun level, Jason X is entertaining, at least for diehard Friday fanatics. Obviously not great, but 'fun'.

Thing is.. Michael Myers has never been campy. The closest they ever got was the latter 2/3 of Resurrection.

Once again, what I said before... tone, tone, TONE. If they write just a straight forward Halloween film with cool gags, but make a point to create an old school atmosphere, and seasonal Halloween film, with the traditional music. It could be pulled off. Anything else... it'll just get worse. Especially if it pulls a Jason X, and basically just mocks the franchise.

The irony of all this...

If they ignore Zombie's films, which by all accounts - they will... it's funny that Halloween gets a new franchise, and guess what the new Halloween III does?

Picks up and starts with something new just like the old Halloween III, lmao. 16

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I am worried also about Todd writing this as Jason X was...well Jason X! lol

The good news is Zombie cant introduce another acid trip excuse for a "vision" again.  H2 was one of the poorest movies I have ever witnessed.

I'd like H3D to go back to the morning after the original Halloween II.  Show what happened to Loomis and Michael (besides what we piece together from later entries) and then fast forward to the next installment. 

I think the biggest thing is to bring back the mystique of Michael, not some 6'8" org who grunts like a bear.  I'd like to see Haddonfield a few years after Halloween II.  People seeing Michael in the distance, not sure if they saw what they think they saw.  Build ups to the killings, suspense AND a FALL/Halloween season reflected in the setting.

Bring it back right or just kill it off.   No more garbage!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

That's actually not a bad idea. Problem is, it'd be the THIRD time they've tried to do that.

H4 picked up 10 years later. H2O ignored H4-H6, and picked up 20 years later, and this would be the third time we'd get a direct-sequel to H2(81).

Laurie Strode would have to be written out, the sister thing would have to be retconned, and in it, Loomis would remain dead. It's not a bad concept, but seems like a fanboyism.

My guess if they tie into the old franchise, like F13(2009), would be to just pick up where H1(78) leaves off, Michael vanishes after the film, and doesn't re-emerge until over 30 years later. By that point, Loomis is dead, Laurie is dead, you have a whole new cast of characters, and Michael can be taken back to the roots of the first film. That'd probably be the best option is to just abandon the sequels.

Unless they would make  H3D, a direct-sequel to H3(82), and it's Silver Shamrock and all kinds of toy gags in 3D... fuck, i'd be there first day in line for that. 16

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Todd Farmer... Good night. Jason X director Jim Isaac actually persuaded his mentor, the unimitable David Cronenberg to step up and make a cameo early into the film. Cronenberg's a character on his own right (check out his stand-out performance in Clive Barker's otherwise subpar Nightbreed for further evidence), and he delivered. Thing is, Isaac went on to mention in various media outlets that Cronenberg insisted on rewriting all his lines before he accepted the gig. I can only imagine whether somewhere, Todd Farmer was dying out of shame.

Lussier's the work-for-hire Dimension vet, who's gotten tossed franchises before. His greatest achievements remain staying on budget and schedule while shooting something that vaguely resembles a coherent narrative, while his editing background ensures the rushes cut together well enough to justify a certain degree of continuity. Whether his films have ever as much as hinted some sort of vision, let alone personality, has so far evaded me. Then again, I haven't been paying much attention to the body of work by Patrick Lussier, for obvious reasons. The world's full of choppy horror sequels without looking into the bland ones.

As My Bloody Valentine made a surprisinginly strong result in the box office, Lussier and Farmer have actually found themselves promoted to a rescue mission; Put the franchise back on track with the 3D concept and do your part in keeping a dying (Weinstein) company alive. A by-the-numbers reboot with the 3D flair; they need a hit, so don't expect anything too wild. They tried that with Zombie and look what happened.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah but at this point, no one wants wild because of Zombie. I think people are wanting just a straight-forward Halloween sequel, one that harkens back to an earlier day, and frankly I think that's what people will get, good or bad, ala F13(2009).

I hated F13(2009), but there's ALOT of people in the F13 fanbase that were saying "best since Part IV". So that could be the direction.

The thing is, is like F13, Halloween is truely at rock bottom. Even Resurrection had that opening sequence, which was solid. The film plummeted from there. But Zombie's H2 really just slammed it into the ground, then shoveled dirt back over it, then parked a gas tanker on top of it, then fired a missle from afar and blew up the tanker over the grave.

In other words, Halloween has nowhere to go but up. Even if we get Halloween X, it won't be any worse than Zombie's H2, or possibly Resurrection.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The thing about Zombie was, to me, that even though his films have relatively little to do with the Carpenter lore (which could be said about more than one sequel - while we'll respectfully leave pt3 out of this), and while they did leave a lot to be desired in terms of effective storytelling, they did at least have more character than something like Resurrection, H20 and Curse. They were short-runs of Zombie's childish love for the 70's exploitation cinema, lacked what made the 1978 film great on numerous levels, but you kept watching the B-movie celebrity train wreck just for the hell of it. It was a healthily budgeted piece of trash in both cases, which is certainly more fascinating than a run-of-the-mill cheapo sequel.

When looking at the whole of the situation, the first Zombie film was meant to break Halloween to a new audience and carve out a niche for the Weinstein company as a heavy-hitter in the Saw-ridden field of American Horror. He was rehired only because in between the two films, the company turned desperate in their need for a steady flow of releases on a quarterly basis and Zombie proved to be the only one willing to churn out something they could market on the same pretense. Obviously a hasty move, mostly dictated by their shaky financial situation, but it got us another piece of entertaining trash. It had nothing to do with their vision as opposed to Zombie's; just keep the release schedule full.

Anyone else noticed 'shooting this fall'? The Weinsteins are clutching straws to keep the machine going, with every possible production packed up and on the shelf before Goldman-Sachs catches their hands in the cookie jar, slamming an IOU on the table so hard that it'll be heard across Tinseltown.

Board footer