You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Great Duff Interview on Axl

Sky Dog wrote:

thread has very few posts...imagine that. Duff talking positive about Axl.

"There was a Rolling Stone story about him that painted him as a Howard Hughes sort of figure and everybody used that as the template to write about Axl. None of it is true. You know, he's just a guy caught up in events."

sounds familiar...kinda like Axl trying to defend himself but everybody rips him either way. So, somebody say Duff is lying?

Sky Dog wrote:

"So yeah, if you call it 'reclusive' -- that's one person's angle on what it was. Or if you want to say, he saved himself, that's another story."

So what is he saying here? Wow...some perspective from a first hand witness. You say Ax is crazy and "reclusive"....evidently Duff says just a man trying to stay alive and keep his sanity.

I'm telling ya...lotta love there and respect.:thumbup:

And, being Duff's age, I find it the right thing to say and do. It was good for all.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Duff and Axl have always been respectful of each other.  I don't recall either one bashing the other, but feel free to correct me.  Izzy and Slash have trashed Axl, and Axl has had his responses for them.  Matt Sorum has said some things.  But as far as I know, Duff has taken the high road and has gotten the same respect in return.

But most people don't like to view Axl in a postive light.  That ruins the image for them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think this is a great interview, duff comes over as very classy as usual.

Since he got sober he always conducts himself with a lot of respect and pride and it's refreshing in the rock world I think.

I think his comments on axl are interesting too and it's probably a point not achnowledged enough...the attention and pressure would have always been worse for Axl.....and while we don't like that he isn't more visable I've always been haunted by an interview he gave once when he said something about "choosing not to sacrafice himself on the alter of rock and roll" (paraphrased), and I realised that most singers in the situation he was in would have wound up dead. And frankly, i think its a real achievment that he has stayyed alive and sorted out his own life, and still occasionally gives us shows or new songs as a bonus.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Duff and Axl have always been respectful of each other.  I don't recall either one bashing the other, but feel free to correct me.  Izzy and Slash have trashed Axl, and Axl has had his responses for them.  Matt Sorum has said some things.  But as far as I know, Duff has taken the high road and has gotten the same respect in return.

But most people don't like to view Axl in a postive light.  That ruins the image for them.

Exactly. I don't see why any of this is a shock. Duff has painted Axl for years as a good, misunderstood guy, and Axl has shown the love towards Duff.

In an ironic twist, Izzy ran Axl down the most, WAY more than Slash, yet Izzy was the first to be let back into the fold.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
madagas wrote:

Ha big_smile, the masses would rather hear about Steven Adler calling Axl an arsehole for the umpteenth time.

I was chuffed as well to see the drumming getting praise from Duff, he likes to play a bit of percussion himself so I think its even more awesome that Duff digs it.

Izzy mentioned in a few interviews how things were so much tougher for Axl cause he was the most famous person on the planet in their heyday, and couldnt really do any normal day to day activities or go anywhere. He also mentioned Axl got death threats over some things, One In A Million being one, and he was paranoid about getting shot.

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

In an ironic twist, Izzy ran Axl down the most, WAY more than Slash, yet Izzy was the first to be let back into the fold.

I think they had the closest friendship, and that can happen, I've seen it with my own long-time friends.

because they tend to know all about you, the good and the bad, things can get ugly if two people that close turn against each other, but things can get patched up really fast too to the outside world because you were friends so long for a reason, and there's always going to be some love there no matter what.

That's just my experience anyway. cool

Sky Dog wrote:

Izzy only ran down Axl once or twice.....like Marc Canter said, Slash was the one who did the most damage. I'll go with the guy who knows all parties.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

So now we're bitching about a lack of bitching? 16 19

So what is he saying here? Wow...some perspective from a first hand witness. You say Ax is crazy and "reclusive"....evidently Duff says just a man trying to stay alive and keep his sanity.

I'm telling ya...lotta love there and respect

Yes, but other members over the years have said the same thing, including Slash. For some reason people like to remember things as a constant smear campaign against Axl since 93. You know that isn't true. While they certainly weren't always saying flattering things, the ex members have defended him more than they have tried to assassinate his character.

It's an image perpetuated by Axl himself. What makes it comical at this point is that we live in the Twitter/Facebook/Myspace age where he can instantly communicate with fans, bypassing the hated media.

Even Axl felt Guns sucked in comparison to a Soundgarden or Nirvana.

Well, not sucked, but even he knew Soundgarden was on an insane level. The only Soundgarden comment I remember(besides Axl listing them as one of his favorites) was when he said Cornell "buries him".

Never understood his fascination with Nirvana, and what made it even worse was Cobain's disdain for Axl/GNR. Kurt couldn't even hold Axl's jockstrap.

We're lucky Axl didn't take a ridiculous jump towards the bandwagon by wearing flannel and looking down at the stage while singing. 16

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Never understood his fascination with Nirvana, and what made it even worse was Cobain's disdain for Axl/GNR. Kurt couldn't even hold Axl's jockstrap.

Yeah that bugged me too, Nirvana are OKAY, I listen to them to this day, but not close to Guns, or FNM or NIN or L7 or Soundgarden, etc etc...

Actually I even prefer Hole! 16

I think a lot of it was Guns didn't get a lot of critical respect because they came from the whole glam rock era thing and their songs at first were about good times, so they didn't have that whole angsty vibe that Nirvana & grunge had, that critics and the media really respected.

GnR and Crue etc were all kind of a joke to a lot of more mainstream media, whereas Kurt got hushed voices and respect that just escalated when he killed himself. Which I'm very sorry about but I doubt if Slash had died from an OD he'd have been accorded the same reverence. (OT, I read a biog of Cobain that said he was a bully at school, and it's pretty messed up that he then marketed himself as a poor victim/pro-feminist etc. But I'm going off on a tangent there. cool)

My theory is it's because the wannabes and never-was's who go into music journalism want to hear that rock stars are suffering, and not rolling like pigs in clover in a world of groupies, money and drugs on tap! 16

Board footer