You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Universal to Cut All CD Prices to Below $10

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This should be official confirmation to those who aren't paying attention... music in a physical form is DEAD.

CD's won't ever completely go away, because like LP's, there will always been a few hardcores that want a physical copy.

My guess is what will eventually happen is everything will go Music Download, and the artists themselves will independently offer CD's on their website and/or concert shows, as a Limited Edition, at a higher price.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

If you look up "Too Little Too Late" there's a link to this story.

14 No shit. This should have happened 10-15 years ago when it would have had a huge impact.

There will be an increase in CD sales due to this price cut, but like you said it's basically too late. If record stores still thrived this would have a bigger impact.

I'm not going to Wal Mart to buy a cd whether its 10 bucks or 5 cents.

Why the labels are trying so hard to keep selling CDs when people clearly are more interested in digital files is beyond me.

People never really lost interest in physical formats. The labels did by keeping CD prices high and killing off record stores in favor of contracts with big box stores. Not everyone likes shopping at those stores, and when they do, they're buying toilet paper, ice cream, and other shit.

Now the shelf space for cds is shrinking at these stores because Wal Mart, Best Buy,etc. aren't going to waste space for products that don't sell there.

Now a new generation has grown up on mp3s and there's no turning back the clock. While I do like cds, even I'm at the point where I can probably live without them.

I am just gonna continue buying cds(or music through Itunes, Amazon,etc.) from the few artists I fully support and download everything else.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Me either. I bought some recent albums at Wal-Mart, because if I wanted to support the artist, it was my only way to do it. All the record stores are gone. Unless I wanted to wait weeks for a shipment from the internet.

But rarely do I do it. James said it, I buy albums from the few artists I support (I hope to get Ratt's new album next month), but short of that, I download everything else. And at this point, everyone I know that loves music, does the exact same thing, and when I say download, I ain't talkin' iTunes. File Sharing is still what's most popular. People ain't gonna buy what they don't feel is worth a purchase.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

back in the day, an album was not much more than a couple of singles, and if you liked a single from an artist, then I always went for the album, once a week at least..Hence I have so many albums, particularly vinyl (it was cheap once) Now though, the prices are ridiculous.. greedy corporate bastards

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

This would have helped the actual record stores about a fucking decade ago.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I'd rather buy a CD at Wal-Mart than download a shitty quality mp3.

Board footer