You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: BP's top kill effort fails to plug Gulf oil leak

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I didn't really mean to take that out on CC, but I just get sick and tired every fucking day of hearing how "outraged the American people are", and yet they do fucking NOTHING to change anything!

They go about their daily lives, and keep doing the same fucking thing over and over.

They want change, but they don't want to do anything to enact. They don't want to give up their conviences.

I know it's impossible. I'm not stupid. But I just get tired of hearing how pissed the Americans are, but yet they don't want to do anything that will get shit done. And cleaning dirty pelicans and protesting DOES NOTHING.

Only somewhat on topic, but reading this reminded me of a great segment on The Daily Show the other night about wanting to get the US off foreign oil

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-j … d_facebook

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Buzz, have I told you lately how much I love you?

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I never bought into the whole recycling, global warming hippie crowd.  While they are busy worrying about that, someone is going to start a nuclear war because they were too busy fixing stupid shit to do anything to stop the real threat and none of that eco-friendly crap is going to matter.

My entire neighborhood recycles (we have recycle bins for twice a week.) These are hardly all "hippies". We've got military conservatives to lefty liberals on this street, and each recycle day the bins are out. Aside from the ecological aspect of it, it's simply an intelligent thing to do with finite resources. Choosing to be wasteful in any arena is foolish.

That's quite the pessimistic outlook you have on life there Debbie Downer; with that attitude why bother to do anything? 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Cramer wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I never bought into the whole recycling, global warming hippie crowd.  While they are busy worrying about that, someone is going to start a nuclear war because they were too busy fixing stupid shit to do anything to stop the real threat and none of that eco-friendly crap is going to matter.

My entire neighborhood recycles (we have recycle bins for twice a week.) These are hardly all "hippies". We've got military conservatives to lefty liberals on this street, and each recycle day the bins are out. Aside from the ecological aspect of it, it's simply an intelligent thing to do with finite resources. Choosing to be wasteful in any arena is foolish.

That's quite the pessimistic outlook you have on life there Debbie Downer; with that attitude why bother to do anything? 16

It's a bunch of hippies that started the movement.  Just because they convinced others to join it doesn't mean it's origins aren't exactly what I said they were.  It isn't the intelligent thing to do - that's propaganda used to guilt people into doing it.  According to your theory, we should save all of our leftover food for someone else to eat too...why waste it after all?

My philosophy is really simple.  Don't sweat the little stuff.  I enjoy every day.  I don't worry about tomorrow because tomorrow may never come.  I have a 401k and I don't take unnecessary risks, but I enjoy what I have and I don't worry a lot about things that have a low likelihood of happening.  I deal with the important things.  The world is much more likely to end because of a nuclear war than it is from an oil spill or lack of recycling.  You can choose to deal with aluminum cans if you'd like, I'd rather go after something that is a more credible threat to my future and the future of my family. 

Neither of us may be right and neither of us are wrong.  It's just different ways of looking at things.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with recycling. It's just when I get the speech, oh man... i'm gonna kill me a hippie.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Cramer wrote:

You should think about what you're saying here. No other president that I can think of has been able to do something like this. That money (and it's just the start) is able to compensate businesses/families for their loss RIGHT NOW. The other option would be to do nothing and allow everybody to lawyer up, keeping this shit in court for twenty years before BP settled for pennies on the dollar.

I thought Republicans were all about "Country first"? Now they are bellyaching because Obama got BP to pony up 20 BILLION dollars for Americans?

Do we really need another blow to an already fragile economy?

As usual the GOP offer up nothing but sour grapes and no solutions. What have they done to raise money for the effected areas thus far?

Really it's a shame as this SHOULD NOT be a political event. However what I see as a national disaster/ecological tragedy, the GOP view as an opportunity to score political points and take cheap shots. Shame on them.

Here's my main issue with this fiasco....

From the nanosecond this started, priority number one should have been getting that oil to stop flowing, by ANY means necessary. No political posturing, no thumb twiddling, no game playing, no hearings,etc. Do that crap AFTER this has been dealt with.

Here we are two months later with an almost dead gulf and the oil is still flowing. They wont even let Americans go in and volunteer to help clean it up, deny the media full access, list goes on and on.

This isn't a partisan issue. Its the biggest disaster this country has ever faced and we're only in the beginning.

Hell, even Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann are starting to complain about his handling of the situation. Those two would have took a bullet for this guy a year ago.  When those two guys start bitching, it shows that people are starting to wake up....

Olbermann: "It was a great speech if you were on another planet for the last 57 days."

Matthews compared Obama to Carter.

Olbermann: "Nothing specific at all was said."

Matthews: "No direction."

Howard Fineman: "He wasn't specific enough."

Olbermann: "I don't think he aimed low, I don't think he aimed at all. It's startling."

Howard Fineman: Obama should be acting like a "commander-in-chief."

Matthews: Ludicrous that he keeps saying [Secretary of Energy] Chu has a Nobel prize. "I'll barf if he does it one more time."

Matthews: "A lot of meritocracy, a lot of blue ribbon talk."

Matthews: "I don't sense executive command."

Democrats don't need to wake up. Republicans don't need to wake up. America needs to wake up. The Gulf is being destroyed and the economy is about to get flushed even deeper down the toilet as a result.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. I still like Obama, but as a President he's slowly starting to look like Jimmy Carter II.

Nice guy, likeable, good ambassador, rode the "change" thing into office, but leader? No.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Here's my main issue with this fiasco....

From the nanosecond this started, priority number one should have been getting that oil to stop flowing, by ANY means necessary. No political posturing, no thumb twiddling, no game playing, no hearings,etc. Do that crap AFTER this has been dealt with.

Here we are two months later with an almost dead gulf and the oil is still flowing. They wont even let Americans go in and volunteer to help clean it up, deny the media full access, list goes on and on.

I'd imagine that they aren't allowing American volunteers to help clean the mess because of the toxicity of the spill itself. Workers have already been reporting a wide variety of ailments after coming into contact with this stuff.

I honestly don't believe that getting it capped hasn't been their priority, I simply don't think anybody knows how to get it done. To claim that Obama is simply sitting on his hands doing nothing is a stretch to say the least.

http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/site/2931/

* The administration has authorized the deployment of 17,500 National Guard troops from Gulf Coast states to respond to this crisis; to date, 1,612 have been activated.

* Approximately 33,000 personnel are currently responding to protect the shoreline and wildlife and cleanup vital coastlines.

* More than 6,300 vessels are currently responding on site, including skimmers, tugs, barges, and recovery vessels to assist in containment and cleanup efforts'”in addition to dozens of aircraft, remotely operated vehicles, and multiple mobile offshore drilling units.

* Approximately 2.44 million feet of containment boom and 3.87 million feet of sorbent boom have been deployed to contain the spill'”and approximately 544,000 feet of containment boom and 1.88 million feet of sorbent boom are available.

* Approximately 22.9 million gallons of an oil-water mix have been recovered.

* Approximately 1.36 million gallons of total dispersant have been applied'”931,000 on the surface and 436,000 subsea. More than 500,000 gallons are available.

* 244 controlled burns have been conducted, efficiently removing a total of more than 5.25 million gallons of oil from the open water in an effort to protect shoreline and wildlife.

* 17 staging areas are in place to protect sensitive shorelines.

* Approximately 59 miles of Gulf Coast shoreline is currently experiencing impacts from BP'™s leaking oil'”approximately 34 miles in Louisiana, four miles in Mississippi, nine miles in Alabama, and 12 miles in Florida.

* Approximately 80,800 square miles of Gulf of Mexico federal waters remain closed to fishing in order to balance economic and public health concerns. More than 66 percent remain open. Details can be found at http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/.

* To date, the administration has leveraged assets and skills from numerous foreign countries and international organizations as part of this historic, all-hands-on-deck response, including Canada, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, the United Nations'™ International Maritime Organization and the European Union's Monitoring and Information Centre.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

It's too bad McCain/Palin didn't get into office.  Just look at Sarah's awesome plan... http://twitter.com/SarahPalinUSA/statuses/16622429904

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'm starting to wonder how ruined the Gulf is??!   

I can forsee this possibly taking 6 months to up to a year before any oil stops leaking. Then there's still the remnants of the millions & millions of gallons of oil that are floating around IN IT.   Plus, what if/when it floats over around Florida & islands like Aruba, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, South America, Cancun etc....

Board footer