You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: 1 million fans to get Axl Rose on Larry King

jorge76 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Larry King?  No.

Now if you had said The Daily Show or Colbert Report... I'd be interested.  Stephen Colbert seems to be a fan.

That's actually a great idea, Colbert is a place that they could do a performance of they wanted to, or Axl could just give an interview.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Actually, any mention of Axl on Colbert is when he's ripping into him. I've never seen him say anything positive.

Steven has on Flaming Lips, Apples in Stereo, Devo, and others...I don't think his audience would be especially kind to Axl.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

^That's pretty much the only time I mention Axl too, but I'm a big fan 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Criticism is the most sincerest form of flattery.

I would know.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I always hoped to see a Loder interview in a post CD release era.

Me too. In my naivete I thought we'd have a video, massive promotion and the epic "Return" of a newly formed band, then straight to the couch to talk to Loder.

Silly me.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:

There are a million different things that Axl could do "his way" and get a shit ton of positive buzz immediately.

How about a Funny Or Die video? How about let someone Roast him? How about just show up in Times Square or something with a surprise performance?

It doesn't always have to be about what "Axl won't do". Every wild so often he could get REALLY crazy and make a good choice.

Axl really wouldn't have to do very much to get positive buzz going.  The mainstream media (for the most part) was fully willing to accept him and Chinese Democracy with open arms IF he played along.  The minute it became evident that wasn't going to happen, that chance went out the window.  That was after years of false starts, negative press, constant criticism.  The fact is, Axl HAS accomplished a lot of great things in the music world and that hasn't been forgotten and (most) people are willing to overlook all the bad IF he gives them reason to.  The problem is, it doesn't appear Axl wants to play along.  And that's within his rights to choose.

The question then would be why.  Is it because he has reached the top and doesn't really care about putting in the effort to get back there when he can simply "go through the motions" and still make millions?  Or is it because he fears if he does put in the effort it won't make a lick of difference?

I personally think it's a mix of the two.  I honestly don't think Axl really cares about being on top again.  GNR was one of, if not THE most popular bands in the world at its peak.  Axl was one of the most recognizable frontmen in the industry and he still is highly regarded.  I don't think he was ever real comfortable with the spotlight shining on him but if he was, he certainly doesn't appear comfortable now.  And now that he's the ONLY one in the band that most anyone could care about, the spotlight would shine on him brighter than ever.

In the same breath, I think deep down he knows that no matter what he does, this or any other version of GNR will never be viewed on the same level as the AFD or UYI lineup.  Lines in the sand have been drawn.  People have taken sides.  Let's face it, Axl has pissed a lot of people off over the years, or at least rubbed them the wrong way.  No matter what he says or does, can't win them back unless he gets a few familiar faces on his side. 

So while I'd love to see Axl do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to increase interest here in the US, I just don't see that happening, regardless of the effort put forth.  The band is making boat loads of money overseas right now.  I'm quite certain a US tour wouldn't be nearly as successful.  I'm just hoping they could at least do around what they did in '06 and '02, so it would be somewhat profitable to come to my neck of the woods.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Probably because he realized GN'R was dead. The GN'R he loved. Hate to be so bleak, but I always felt that's why Loder flew the GN'R coop... they actually had one. bucket

Didn't Loder give an awesome review of the RIR-show back in '01...?
And he seemed really exited about the band in those backstage interviews in '02.

Or are you saying Loder is a BH-Brain-era kinda fan?
smile

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
emcitymisfit wrote:

Actually, any mention of Axl on Colbert is when he's ripping into him. I've never seen him say anything positive.

Steven has on Flaming Lips, Apples in Stereo, Devo, and others...I don't think his audience would be especially kind to Axl.

That's how the Colbert Report works in case you haven't noticed.

He's given nothing but the highest praise to George W Bush... anyone believe that he actually means it? 16

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

Maybe politically, but not pop culture. He's never said one thing towards Axl that would lead me to believe that they're guns fans.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Probably because he realized GN'R was dead. The GN'R he loved. Hate to be so bleak, but I always felt that's why Loder flew the GN'R coop... they actually had one. bucket

Didn't Loder give an awesome review of the RIR-show back in '01...?
And he seemed really exited about the band in those backstage interviews in '02.

Or are you saying Loder is a BH-Brain-era kinda fan?
smile

It was all over for him when Paul Huge left... j/k.

Seriously that's a good question.

It had something particularly to do with Axl. I don't know if he was a dick to him in 2002 at the VMA's, or Loder got an inside look and saw it for a clusterfuck in 2002/03, but Loder checked out in that area and felt the album would never see the light of day.

Board footer