You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Duff Leaves Jane's Addicition

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

So Myles gets more out of touring with Slash solo, and is fine with that, but says no to Velvet Revolver.

Call me crazy, but that makes no sense. That's like saying you'll sing in Jerry Cantrell's solo band, but not Alice In Chains. Huh?

Another reason could be if either Dave, Duff or Matt didn't like Myles as the singer. Slash said he did this solo thing because he wanted to be captain of the ship for a while, so maybe it's just easier, like he can play the tunes he wants to play with the singers he wants, and he doesn't have to get anyone else into the idea. Who knows. Maybe the time just wasn't right in the past but it will be this time?

Personally I think VR reassembled, with Myles as the singer, playing the rockiest of the old VR tracks, and the higher register GNR tracks that they were previously afraid to do without Axl, and new material of the quality of myles songs on the slash solo album, and you'd have a very serious act.

Maybe not quite old GNR level, but it would be well on the way.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I personally think this time around, VR are gonna be playing alot more Guns shit in the set.

jmho

We'll see.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I know everyone jumps on me when I suggest him, but I'm convinced that Chester Bennington would be the best choice for the new VR singer. He occupies a space halfway between Axl and Scott; he's got a similar stage presence to Scott, the same "skinny-cool vibe", as Classic Rock magazine put it, but he's also able to sing those higher-register GN'R songs. And there's no doubt that he's a "name" like Scott.

The only real difficulty would be working out a schedule that allowed him to work with both VR and Linkin Park. That, and his friendship with Scott, which might preclude him taking over Scott's position in VR.

I'm really not sold on Myles. His voice is very reedy in that high register - it reminds me of 2002 Axl more than anything. And he consistently fluffs the lyrics to the old GN'R/VR tracks. His stage presence isn't up there with Scott or Axl, and his lyrics on the Slash solo album were... well, a bit banal.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Ex-Guns N' Roses Bassist Leaves Jane's Addiction
Billboard.com
September 6, 2010

Jane's Addiction said Monday it has parted ways with its latest bass player, former Guns N' Roses member Duff McKagan, five months after announcing his addition to the oft-vacated post.

McKagan, 46, performed a few concerts with the band, and worked on new material for its first album in seven years, but musical differences cut short his tenure.

"Hey we wanted to thank Duff for helping us write songs for our new record," the band said via email. "We love the songs we worked on with him -- and the gigs were a blast -- but musically we were all headed in different directions. From here Duff is off to work on his own stuff so we wish him all the best."

Jane's Addiction has been through five bass players since it formed in 1985, while the rest of the quartet's lineup is unchanged. Original member Eric Avery has come and gone twice, most recently replaced by McKagan in March after an Australian tour.

McKagan is best known as a founding member of Guns N' Roses, contributing such songs as "Paradise City" and "It's So Easy" to one of the biggest bands of the early 1990s. But as with some of the group's other members, drugs and alcohol got in the way, and McKagan almost died after his pancreas ruptured in 1994. He sobered up and quit the band a few years later.

After studying business at Seattle University, he joined forces with two other Guns alumni to form Velvet Revolver in 2002. The band released two albums and won a Grammy before crumbling in 2008. McKagan last year recorded and toured with his new band, Loaded.

According to a Twitter message from Jane's Addiction frontman Perry Farrell, McKagan plans to issue a follow-up album and return to the road in the fall. A spokesman for McKagan was not immediately available.

Jane's Addiction emerged from the Los Angeles rock underground in the 1980s, distinguishing itself from other post-punk groups with Farrell's sexually ambiguous stagecraft and the musicians' deft ear for melodic tunes. They recorded just three albums and scored radio play with such songs as "Been Caught Stealing" and "Jane Says.

Wish he hadnt left so early. Duff was a BIG reason to be interested in J'sA for me. Check out this clip. It looks like its the first time duff plays jane says on acoustic lookin to dave for kay and cord changes

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I know everyone jumps on me when I suggest him, but I'm convinced that Chester Bennington would be the best choice for the new VR singer. He occupies a space halfway between Axl and Scott; he's got a similar stage presence to Scott, the same "skinny-cool vibe", as Classic Rock magazine put it, but he's also able to sing those higher-register GN'R songs. And there's no doubt that he's a "name" like Scott.

The only real difficulty would be working out a schedule that allowed him to work with both VR and Linkin Park. That, and his friendship with Scott, which might preclude him taking over Scott's position in VR.

I'm really not sold on Myles. His voice is very reedy in that high register - it reminds me of 2002 Axl more than anything. And he consistently fluffs the lyrics to the old GN'R/VR tracks. His stage presence isn't up there with Scott or Axl, and his lyrics on the Slash solo album were... well, a bit banal.

Agree on all counts.

I'm not a LP fan but it would be interesting to see Chester in VR.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

chester has LP and a solo project to boot...and LP would be most likely a larger paycheck....i jsut cat see it....unless he is fed up with LP

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
mickronson wrote:

Similar to what I`d like to do if I hear LALD or KOHD one more time.

not to be fashion police or anything but what kind of 45 year old loser walks around in leather gloves?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
mickronson wrote:

Similar to what I`d like to do if I hear LALD or KOHD one more time.

not to be fashion police or anything but what kind of 45 year old loser walks around in leather gloves?

Duff gets away with shit like that, because he's one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Neemo wrote:

chester has LP and a solo project to boot...and LP would be most likely a larger paycheck....i jsut cat see it....unless he is fed up with LP

Yeah, he is over-subscribed - but, y'know, he could jack in his solo project and just do LP and VR. Someone like him fronting the band would be big news and would generate fucktons of press interest, in a way that Myles fronting VR wouldn't.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Yeah, he is over-subscribed - but, y'know, he could jack in his solo project and just do LP and VR. Someone like him fronting the band would be big news and would generate fucktons of press interest, in a way that Myles fronting VR wouldn't.

dont underestimate myles AB III is about to go through the roof

Board footer