You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mav
 Rep: 0 

Re: Axl Rose playing drums with Matt!

mav wrote:

Seeing Axl having fun in soundcheck back then is cool. I would love to see more of that.

The world UYI tour, while nearly killing a couple of them, must have been an awesome experience to do back then when still young, what a ride!

Good video.

mav
 Rep: 0 

mav wrote:

I would put Bucket over Zak anyday for skill, variation and artistic awesomeness. The works.

Listen to Bucket's Captain Eyo's Voyage - not a shred in sight, simply amazing.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

It's sound check for the music video Estranged. It's not a real soundcheck for a concert. They're on a  soundstage in LA.  Still cool though.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm absolutely unsure if BH is 'light years ahead' of Zakk. I'm a bit tired of reading the 'BH is the best guitarist of all time, noone can come even close to him' mantra. For you, maybe, but for others he's not a superhero. He releases boring albums 5 times a year and that's it. Zakk can play just as fas as BH, with much more brain. My two cents, anyway.

Bumblefoot is a better technical guitarist than Zakk.

Not to start a war, but I get tired of hearing how great Zakk is because he can do the same boring pinch harmonics over and over mantra.

He's not even the 2nd best guitarist to share a stage with Ozzy.

I love Zakk, but he is overrated vastly, specifically by people on this board.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm absolutely unsure if BH is 'light years ahead' of Zakk. I'm a bit tired of reading the 'BH is the best guitarist of all time, noone can come even close to him' mantra. For you, maybe, but for others he's not a superhero. He releases boring albums 5 times a year and that's it. Zakk can play just as fas as BH, with much more brain. My two cents, anyway.

Not to start a war, but I get tired of hearing how great Zakk is because he can do the same boring pinch harmonics over and over mantra.

Same goes for BH. The guy is untouchable for some here: anyone can criticize Axl or Slash or anyone else, but when it comes to BH, it's heresay. I don't think BH would be that unique or talented or even fast that he'd be 'light years ahead' of the ones like Zakk or John Petrucci. It's the BH Religion here without any proof. I really don't see the uber-strong creativity on BH's part - he found out great things, but light years behind dozens of guitarists.

(Bumblefoot is great and fast and anything, but he has no music personality, while BH, Zakk, Petrucci does Slash does have.)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting post.

I'm mixed on bucket.

Like the melodies (not to mention the shred) in Notthing Lace and Soothsayer are really amazing, really takes my brain to a happy place listening, those are great works amongst the best things recorded on guitar IMO.

However, most of his other work leaves me sort of listless.

And people critizise slash for being too repedative of the blues stuff etc, but bucket's also repedative, just with different stuff - like the whammy pedal, killswitch, the atonal 8 finger tap run, and his paul gilbert shred lick feature in more than a few of his tracks.

Mind you, he's still a great amazing player, don't get me wrong, I'm just not so sure that he creatively destroys guys like slash who pull out amazing riffs every second song, even though on stuff like tapping bucket would own him.

I disagree that bumble has no musical personality tho, his chinese solos on the album on the fretlesss all have a very similar feel to some of his solo stuff, I think it's his kinda style.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

2 words

Dave Mustaine

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ What about him. He fucking rocks!!!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Same goes for BH. The guy is untouchable for some here: anyone can criticize Axl or Slash or anyone else, but when it comes to BH, it's heresay. I don't think BH would be that unique or talented or even fast that he'd be 'light years ahead' of the ones like Zakk or John Petrucci. It's the BH Religion here without any proof. I really don't see the uber-strong creativity on BH's part - he found out great things, but light years behind dozens of guitarists.

(Bumblefoot is great and fast and anything, but he has no music personality, while BH, Zakk, Petrucci does Slash does have.)

A few thoughts...

I do think Bucket is lightyears ahead of Zakk. Granted, I thought Zakk was fantastic when I first heard No Rest For The Wicked & No More Tears. But as time went on, he became a one trick pony for me.

However, I do think John Petrucci is a fantastic comparison, highly underrated and understated guitarist, who after over 20 years with DT has kept the guitar work and solos fresh, and that's something to be commended for, something Bucket hasn't done. On top of that, he's a technical guitarist too.

As for Bucket's albums, I do have some favorites, like Bucketheadland, Giant Robot NTT, Colma, Electric Tears, and his newest release (the name escapes me right now). But I can also very much understand where a casual fan like yourself could feel that he seems to recycle the same noodly-noodly stuff over and over, and when interest is lacking he seems to fall back on the smooth stuff. I will say that Bucket is very much a hit and miss guitarist. I think Padmasana is one of the greatest recordings of all-time. I'd put the guitar work right up there with Axl's piano basis for Estranged. That's how powerful it is to me. However, I do realize that for some, they'd have to sift through a hundred songs to get to something like that.

As for Bumble, I do agree that, so far, he has no musical personality. His strongest work is reworking the guitar parts primarily originally written by Bucket on CD, and most likely it'll continue as Axl pulls material from the vault for future releases.

The most original thing he did on CD was reworking Catcher In The Rye, so much to the point that it was his own, but GN'R fans overrate it. I think it's really strong, but not warranted enough to say "he's greatness". That's why I specifically referenced 'technical' because that's what I thought we were talking about.

To be completely honest, of all the guitarists we've/you've mentioned, I would say John Petrucci is the best of them all. 9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Who said he was a superhero? 

For you to make the blanket statement "He releases boring albums 5 times a year and that's it" shows that you've listened to little if any of his work. I can see hating a portion of his material as even I don't love it all, but five boring albums a year and that's it? Really??

You cant even give the guy kudos for ONE song?

My aunt who doesn't even listen to GNR has listened to Colma on a regular basis for years. I need to go over there and inform her that Mikkamakka said its a boring album.

You could play Padmasana even at Hitler's funeral and the whole world would have cried. To hell with that though.....he's a superhero and he's boring!

It's the BH Religion here without any proof.

The proof is in the pudding and your blanket statements show you haven't tasted the pudding yet.

You're one of those people that eventually post "I just heard *insert Bucket album here* and it's AMAZING!!"

Hell, I bet that Nesquick finally saw the light.....

bigbri wrote:

I didn't even know that Praxis record came out in 1992. Sounds like it was made yesterday. It's timeless because it's so unique.

I wish I would have bought it back then. Animal Behavior really isn't a fair representation of the album.

Board footer