You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Weiland joined VR for money

buzzsaw wrote:
Riad wrote:

How could anyone be surprised that 3 surviving members of Guns N Roses are having trouble finding a singer to do them justice.

I think we're all quite aware at this point that drama aside, Axl rose in one of the all time great singers.

I think we're all aware that both sides are struggling with the same issue - the inability to recreate the magic they once had.  It's not just a VR issue.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with Buzz here. The bottom line is none of them, NONE OF THEM, in reality have been able to recreate what they had back in the early 90's without each other. Axl's STILL trying to replace Slash & Izzy. He accomplished replacing Duff & Steven/Matt, but the guitarists have been a bitch, and although he did have Bucket, Bucket's been gone since 2004.

I'm hoping DJ will be able to bring enough of that 'radio ready' 2011 hard rock to GNR's sound, that they'll be able to move on into the future without much sandbaggin'. But it's a pipe dream at this point.

Myles is overrated, and Weiland was always a weak choice.

That Money cover is one of the worst songs i've ever heard in my life. Felt that way then, feel that way now. I've heard fuckin' bar bands do a better job than that. Terrible.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I quite liked that cover of Money, there are some really good rock out parts between Slash and Matt, towards the end of the song, that I really enjoyed in their version.

I still have faith in this Myles/Slash collaboration, and I think with it being a band effort, we'll hear some cool stuff.
Not sure how much the rest of the band will contribute to writing, but I still think it will be good based on how good their live show was. These guys are all talented.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Seriously?

So uninspired, sounds like a boring studio fuck off moment, Weiland sounds awful... wow.

I thought that cover was universally bad. I'm actually stunned anyone likes anything about it.

Sounds like something a garage band in Germany would do and release on an independent label.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

If VR had been managed properly they could have great.

My personal opinion is that all of these guys, Axl, Slash, Duff, Scott etc are rich, precious, grumpy men in their mid to late 40's who don't take advice/direction/criticism at all well after 25 years being told they are top dog. Hence the poor choices and creative cul-de-sacs each of them seem to end up in. I'd put Chris Cornell & Mike Patton in there too. Huge talent but their years of vanity projects did nothing for their careers.

Scott has been pretty much unmanagable since about 2006. He's only doing any of it at all because he needs the money. He told Stern that he has to come up with $60K A MONTH in alimony so he needs to tour constantly which he loathes.

He's a tired, depressed, bloated and lonely drunk. I feel very sorry for him. He destroys everything he builds (he's even being booed on his current solo tour now because he won't 'play the game' and give the crowd what they want - vanity project ruining the day again).

As for the erst of the guys, despite their huge wealth etc I feel sorry for them too. It must be shit to be constantly reminded at 44 that your best work in your whole life was when you were 25. Now you're just a tired old cover version of your young self. It pays well I'm sure but it must wear you down too.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm a huge Faith No More fan, and never over years of time understood Patton's ego. Like what in the fuck have you done man? You're not a legend of any sorts.

As for the rest of these "artists", they have to understand (Axl gets it, Scott doesn't) that at this point in their careers, they are nostalgia acts. Period. New band, old band - doesn't matter. Slash gets it too, by the majority GN'R/VR hits setlists he plays. Most people are going to come to your show to hear you play their favorite songs. They want to have a few drinks, get a little party favor, listen to their favorite tunes from college with their new middle age friends, pretend time froze for 3 hours, and go home to their kids.

That's it. They don't want a show full of songs they don't know. That's not what it's about.

I know I bag on Axl for not pushing new material, but the reality is the guy will always have the most profitability just running around the world playing GN'R classics, until the typical GN'R fan is so old and so far removed from the newness of those hits that no one is interested.

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven have all said at various times that they made huge mistakes, and for the most part they're stunned they're even alive. So anything else is gravy.

Management (imho) seems to be the worst for these guys when they let friends, friends of friends, or family do their managing. That's when shit gets complicated.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I'm a huge Faith No More fan, and never over years of time understood Patton's ego. Like what in the fuck have you done man? You're not a legend of any sorts.

As for the rest of these "artists", they have to understand (Axl gets it, Scott doesn't) that at this point in their careers, they are nostalgia acts. Period. New band, old band - doesn't matter. Slash gets it too, by the majority GN'R/VR hits setlists he plays. Most people are going to come to your show to hear you play their favorite songs. They want to have a few drinks, get a little party favor, listen to their favorite tunes from college with their new middle age friends, pretend time froze for 3 hours, and go home to their kids.

That's it. They don't want a show full of songs they don't know. That's not what it's about.

I know I bag on Axl for not pushing new material, but the reality is the guy will always have the most profitability just running around the world playing GN'R classics, until the typical GN'R fan is so old and so far removed from the newness of those hits that no one is interested.

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven have all said at various times that they made huge mistakes, and for the most part they're stunned they're even alive. So anything else is gravy.

Management (imho) seems to be the worst for these guys when they let friends, friends of friends, or family do their managing. That's when shit gets complicated.

I agree with all that to an extent. These older bands/musicians can be relevant IF they want to. U2 is the blueprint on how to be a band that's been together for decades pushing their new material.  A casual fan, long time fan, and hardcore fan can all be fans of U2. You get the classics plus a new album every 4-5 years shoved down your throat.

C level bands like RATT, Warrant,etc. have to be nostalgia acts. The bigger acts only have to go that route if they want to.

edit: Add me to the list of people that think Patton is way overrated. People act like Angel Dust was the greatest thing since sliced bread but I think it's a turd sandwich.

01. [Jam]
02. Waiting for a Superman (FLAMING LIPS cover)
03. Into Your Arms (LEMONHEADS cover)
04. But Not Tonight (DEPECHE MODE cover)
05. I Am the Resurrection (STONE ROSES cover)
06. Let Down (RADIOHEAD cover)
07. Jean Genie (DAVID BOWIE cover)
08. Dead Flowers (THE ROLLING STONES cover)
09. Roadhouse Blues (THE DOORS cover)
10. Fame (DAVID BOWIE cover)
11. Frances Farmer Will Get Her Revenge On Seattle (NIRVANA cover)

Fuck that's a horrific set list.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I certaintly don't think Angel Dust was a turd sandwich, but I always thought the Patton-driven mid-90's FNM albums were very spotty, and their consistency was too eccentric (thx Mike... not). Angel Dust is WAY overrated.

FNM's absolute best albums imho are The Real Thing & Album of the Year.

I was always considered a weird ass for thinking their final album (Album of the Year) was their strongest effort. I'm sorry, but I really do, and at least it's consistent.

Patton is a great vocalist, but he doesn't know shit about what people want or like. He's so eccentric, that even Praxis seems mainstream.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I certaintly don't think Angel Dust was a turd sandwich, but I always thought the Patton-driven mid-90's FNM albums were very spotty, and their consistency was too eccentric (thx Mike... not). Angel Dust is WAY overrated.

FNM's absolute best albums imho are The Real Thing & Album of the Year.

I was always considered a weird ass for thinking their final album (Album of the Year) was their strongest effort. I'm sorry, but I really do, and at least it's consistent.

Patton is a great vocalist, but he doesn't know shit about what people want or like. He's so eccentric, that even Praxis seems mainstream.

You must love Mr Bungle then lol
I agree, that Real Thing is a gem.  But that might be nostalgia talking

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

He might know, but he doesn't give a fuck.  FNM was mainstream enough to be selling out for Patton, but to most of the world FNM is about as avant garde as they're willing to get.  The later FNM albums were getting closer and closer to Mr Bungle all the time.

A lot of people claim not to give a fuck, but when sales aren't there they freak out.  Patton's perfectly happy to do what he's doing and is well aware it's not going to set the world on fire.

I'm not saying that he didn't put out a few solo albums where he seemed to be saying "I dare you to try to like this", doesn't come off as pretentious a lot of the time, and that the recent FNM shows weren't just for the money... but to me thie difference between him and an Axl, Slash, or Weiland is he isn't trying to climb back to where he was in 92 most of the time.

Board footer