You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Testing a GNR Fan theory

DCK wrote:
-D- wrote:

exactly.. the personal experience thing is a big part of it for me especially.. As a teenager early adult tryin to figure out life.. going through first experiences such as love,heartbreak,death etc... those songs/albums were the soundtrack.. so I guess at 30 years old... CD just doesn't connect to me anywhere near the level a song like Estranged does.. Now had CD Came out in 2001 when i was going through the biggest tragedy of my life.... I may feel way different about it.  cause i did have Madagascar and The Blues during it and those two are still my favorite till this day off that album and consider both amongst the top GNR songs ever.

Right on. People connect to this like it was their parents. That's why the kids fight over who's best when the parents divorce, mommy or daddy or Axl or Slash.

Madagascar, Chinese etc means much more to me than say Right next door to hell or any of those. Estranged means something, but the Chinese songs was there in a specific time, specific life. It's just about connecting. When Mickronson says there's no soul in Estranged, he says it because it's not the old guys playing. If it had been the other way around he would have said the same thing. "Mommys new boyfriend is never as good as my dad".

It's much more about mentality and things outside the actual music than we might think.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I say it because it doesnt have any soul.  I appreciate other takes on the songs, BH's Nightrain solo for example is actually better than the original, but this one, nah, It needs someone to make the guitar cry, and they cant so leave it alone.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

To me it sounded better than ever before, with more soul. Less sloppy, much more tight. It has plenty of "soul".

You could be mine on the other hand...sounded shit.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Great analogy with the parents new boyfriend kinda thing.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
DCK wrote:
-D- wrote:

exactly.. the personal experience thing is a big part of it for me especially.. As a teenager early adult tryin to figure out life.. going through first experiences such as love,heartbreak,death etc... those songs/albums were the soundtrack.. so I guess at 30 years old... CD just doesn't connect to me anywhere near the level a song like Estranged does.. Now had CD Came out in 2001 when i was going through the biggest tragedy of my life.... I may feel way different about it.  cause i did have Madagascar and The Blues during it and those two are still my favorite till this day off that album and consider both amongst the top GNR songs ever.

Right on. People connect to this like it was their parents. That's why the kids fight over who's best when the parents divorce, mommy or daddy or Axl or Slash.

Madagascar, Chinese etc means much more to me than say Right next door to hell or any of those. Estranged means something, but the Chinese songs was there in a specific time, specific life. It's just about connecting. When Mickronson says there's no soul in Estranged, he says it because it's not the old guys playing. If it had been the other way around he would have said the same thing. "Mommys new boyfriend is never as good as my dad".

It's much more about mentality and things outside the actual music than we might think.

In my case it's totally different. I can love an artist's music, without having any (or significant) connection to the lyrics. Well, I prefer meaningful words over stupid cock rock, but I rather take the vocal melody as another instrument, and if it goes right with the music and I find the singer sincere, then it IS for me.
For example my favourite musician of all time, and now my favourite singer, Tori Amos sings about things I have never liver through, often never even witnessed, and I can not really relate to it. Her interviews make me mad sometimes, she's thinking so differently about the world and the people. But her very emotional, well written and unique music speaks to me, and she's the one I listen the most.

Speaking about the who came first would be the idol... well, I like a lot of different guitarists and bands. It's really not about who came first, but who made the band what it is. As much as I wouldn't accept anyone to sing in GN'R, but Axl Rose, I can't accept anyone to play solo guitar there, but Slash. Cause that made Guns N' Roses my favourite band. If Axl Rose and Slash would revive Led Zeppelin, I would be sick, as much as I love them, cause it's Robert and Jimmy (and in that case: JPJ and Bonzo, too).

One other thing about the post-Slash GN'R guitarists... I was very excited when Robin Finck joined the band, cause I, as a huge NIN fan back then,  thought that Axl would turn it into industrial, and even though I didn't like his keeping the name, I was excited about the possible music outcome. Then came OMG, which was disappointing, then HOB and RIR 2001, which debuted new songs, I didn't find interesting at all. It was a huge letdown...waiting for half a decade for sub-par songs and a band that cannot even play the old songs well.... I still hate Silkworms and Rhiad, find Madagascar boring, The Blues a UYI C-side and CD a below mediocre song that they made a good one after a decade in the studio and with Bumble's world class rhythm guitar. I honestly don't like the album, CD at all, only TWAT, This I Love, CD, and the vocal melodies of SoD. It would be better for me to like it, cause it's Axl Rose's singing, but it's not... I like a lot of guitarists, and I have never made any attempt to dislike someone or to not like him, but hey, they are not my cup of tea, and I find so disturbing parts in almost each of their 'new' songs that keeps me away from listening it anymore.

Lomax wrote:

Friend made me a mix-tape when I was only 14... BOOOOM

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Got into GN'R in 1987. I remember the night Jungle premiered on MTV. My brother and I were making fun of the bands that were playing before they came on and we started making fun of GN'R until Axl started that scream. They looked and sounded totally different than anything else at that time. SCOM sealed the deal. Stole my sisters AFD cassette tape not long after. ISE became my favorite song. Recorded all the GN'R stuff on MTV the next 2 years, including the Ritz show and the documentary (I found it on youtube and posted it here not too long ago) when they had the GN'R weekend leading up to The Ritz show.

And I remember the YCBM video. Flipped for the LALD vid (always loved that song from James Bond and couldn't believe GN'R covered it) and loved Don't Cry. Even loved Garden Of Eden video. I loved everything through TSI?.

Lost interest eventually and didn't follow any of the ex members projects, until I saw Axl put a new GN'R band together. Once I read Robin, Buckethead, Tommy, Brain and Chris were in the band I was more excited over this band than any band I can remember. Even more than before UYI came out. Rememer listening to Madagascar off a Real Player from RIO and CD from HOB over and over.

CD didn't disappoint. Only down side is that Ron had played over Bucket some. Around that time I was really pissed at how much time Axl wasted to make that album and blowing the chance to carry on with that line up that had SO MUCH potential. Still irks me.

But, as I've said before, Axl has always been 95% of the reason I dig GN'R. Never saw Slash as the guitar God everyone else did. I wasn't as bummed when I heard he left as I was when Izzy did. That was a really big blow for me. But I wasn't surprised, mostly because Izzy's problems were very well documented on MTV news at the time. I never had that kind of connection with Slash.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I saw the End of Days and then bought the End of Days soundtrack. Oh My God was what got me into the band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:
-D- wrote:

Madagascar is very VERY personal to me. Dates back to that Rio III performance and having that boot in high school.

Floods back TONS of memories of tough times hearing that song.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
DCK wrote:
-D- wrote:

Madagascar is very VERY personal to me. Dates back to that Rio III performance and having that boot in high school.

Floods back TONS of memories of tough times hearing that song.

I just got chills reflecting back on what i was going through at the time and those Madagascar lyrics.

I even love the quotes cause they relate to my story

Board footer