You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chinese Democracy Re-Release With US Tour?

Sky Dog wrote:

yak all you want.....no new songs comin'

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ That's true for every artist at the moment though.

Not every artist is talking about the possibility of re-releasing an album few people wanted in the first place either...

Well i guess it depends on what we're talking about. Would i expect a re-released Chinese Democracy to go "gangbusters" top the charts and realign the planets? No. Do I think a re-released chinese democracy product could be developed to profitable in general? Yes.

Lets assume the band released the album as part of a 2-disc set with new artwork and something on the second disk that's likely to add signifcant value to people who are interested - for example an EP of the other new songs or a DVD of live tracks.

What are the costs associated with this?

We know the best buy deal recouped all recording costs. We know there's already better artwork around (maybe some mods needed for the second disc - but it's 3/4 there). We know axl has songs around that are basicly finished. It's highly likely that an EP worth of stuff is ready aside from mastering - or given all the personal studios of bumbleoot/DJ etc - getting it to that level would be minimal cost. Or if they did a live DVD - we know they have footage of all the shows already - so in terms of the raw material it's just a matter of paying a couple of editors to clean it up. The hardcore costs involved in doing this kind of stuff have all been paid back at this point - anything else that can be developed from those old deals would be gravey.

So then we're just talking about the pressing, manafacturing and distribution costs - which if handled by an external partner with the logistical infrastructure like the record label are fuck all on a per disc basis.

So yes, in terms of the chart the world wont go nuts for it - but the added value of a new music or a dvd on the second disk would probably be enough to inspire a rebuy from the hardcores. The key is not making billions of them. The modern industry works by having products with value for whoever wants them. Anyone can get stuff free, but the idea is to have the special-t-shirt packs and so on availiable for the nutjobs - and the those people pay for the lesser interested people in the end. You are right about the genral public - but when the prodution cost is low enough - just making shit for the hardcore nut jobs that no-one else wants is atually profitable in itself. Do i think the nut jobs can sustain another 15 year multi-million dollar recording cycle - harder to see - but in terms of putting out a product like a chinese SE - it's easy - the base material is 90% complete - just needs a mix on a few tracks or an edit of a dvd or whatever...the costs are already paid back for the most part.

Take Megadeth...just re-released Peace Sells for the 25th Anniversary.....there's a whole bunch of hardcore packages with extreme products...then there's the standard one I saw at my record store...has the album re-mastered with 2011 technology and a bonus live CD. Now who's buying that other than the hardcores? There was already the original CD release, then the greatest hits versions, then a 2007(circa) remastered edition availble...bottom line is no one needs to buy peace sells - anyone that has an y interest in metal probably has it already or access to one of the 2-3 versions of it around in any discount bin - or they can torrent it - but they've put it out - probably cos the cost of doing so was fuck all in the scheme of things - and they know the sickos like me that are hardcore will buy it.

Chinese is a cult album that came out with significant defects. Will jo public give a shit if a better version comes out. Probably not. But are there enough GNR nut jobs to underwrite the cost of a re-release - especially if the re-release has some decent incentive on it - like new songs or kickass footage.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ That's true for every artist at the moment though.

Not every artist is talking about the possibility of re-releasing an album few people wanted in the first place either...

So would people want an album of all new songs then?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Naltav wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Naltav wrote:

How can that be DOA?!

I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Are we still hanging on for "Top Of The Fuckin' World ver.2.0."?
Do us diehards really think THAT is a reality?

That to me that is a pipedream and a fantasy.

Hell, I just want new music for ME!

Simple and selfish! 22

I'm an old Gunner, don't patronize me with that "Top of the fuckin' World" schtick. I knew GN'R would never be popular again, outside of maybe the rock charts, and performing on cable late night shows and "That Metal Show". They couldn't even do that. Somehow Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Stone Temple Pilots found a way though.

Do you have any clue that in the U.S., that Best Buy had to sell CD for $2 bucks to get rid of their stock?

Once again, same thing just like the original release applies... WITHOUT PROMO -- they won't do anything. Sales would be WORSE than they were.

Now a re-release with a FULL 2nd disc of new songs, and maybe some proper promo... that's a different story.

I took your DOA-comment to mean that a re-release with bonus tracks wouldn't sell many albums or be a "hit".
If I misunderstood, my bad!

I believe most fans would be happy to have new official material.

Sure, a whole album worth of new songs would be the ultimate. But I'm pretty sure most fans will eat up a couple of new songs. Whether fans choose to buy the album or only download the new tracks, is another question.

So from a fan's point of view who crave new music, it's not DOA.

But if we're actually hoping a new release or re-release will be a chart-buster, we're kidding ourselvs. In that regard, whatever they do will be DOA. The huge demand for new albums from veteran hardrock acts, like GNR, in today's record industry is just not present.

But in the concert industry, now THAT'S another story! That's why bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Bon Jovi and GNR are doing well in (most of) the worlds markets!

DOA = DOA album sales

Fans wouldn't be able to fully support a re-release for album sales. I know alot of Gunners look at it as "album sales don't matter to me, I just want the music"

And i'll restate it until my throat is sore and fingers fall off, that album sales DO MATTER to record execs, and especially Best Buy since they'd probably have to pick up the tab.

A re-release of CD + a few new tracks (whether all new, or a couple new + a cover or something like that), would be a HORRIBLE financial move on BB's part. If they can't move it, it's not worthwhile to them. 3 new songs would probably be underwhelming (not entirely disappointing) to most fans, including myself.

That's all I was saying. It would be financially DOA for Best Buy. Guns probably wouldn't even sweat it. They make all their money on touring anyways.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Saikin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

So would people want an album of all new songs then?

Touche!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Less than wanted CD. Curiosity factor is long gone.

Board footer