You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: December 16, Key Arena- Seattle, WA

Axlin16 wrote:

An Axl-less GN'R would've completely tanked, worse than Axl's GN'R-less GN'R.

Axl is the most irreplaceable member of the band. He just is. He's the most unique band member. Period.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

And Axl-less Gn'R would've likley been as successful as say Velvet Revolver tongue . Maybe some people would've said no thanks the way they did with CD but fact is public opinion is people like Slash. And they recruited Sott Weiland who had a built in fanbase and the name itself would've gained a few sales.  This band was basically shoevd down people's throats as Gusn N' Roses without Axl/ with Scott by radio dj's everywhere.  It woudl've been met with the same resitnece though that 'You can't have Gn'r without Slash" and "you can't have Gn'R without Axl" type stuff.

I actually think had Axl dropped the Gn'R name he may have been more successful. Maybe not touring wise but album sales wise maybe. yes there were the pucrhases that were made solely on the name Guns N' Roses but I think an Axl Rose record would've been met more favorably from the public thus leading to more sales maybe and less of a perception that  "it sucks because there's no Slash"

Who knows. Alternate universes. fun to think about but so hard to say.

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy and the band are killing this song....wish we had the whole vid.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I have always thought that if Slash had decided to take the GNR name and reform the band with all new members it would be even less accepted than Axl doing it.

But it wouldn't have gone down that way. Wouldn't be slash and randoms It would have been the full GNR firing Axl after one too many late starts. Then  the remaining 4 carring on as GNR and finding a singer who can do the back catalogue.

I'll grant you Axl's a wonder, he brings the psychological lyrics, great melodies, the stage presence. And i'd be interested and follow any project he ever did regardless of the name. I agree about the attitude too. He brings that on the edge vibe to everything he's involved in that's pure excitement.

But at the same time, instrumentally - the vocals aside, Slash's current band sounds more like GNR than GNR...and that's only with him as an original member...imagine him, duff, matt, and Gilby...(or hell...maybe even Izzy if Axl had left earlier in the saga) and you have a band that instrumentally is perfect....if they'd got a singer who could do the whole back catalogue and then could have written decent lyrics to what would have been a continual stream of new GNR albums (taking the best of the snakepit/VR/Solo stuff but without the need to make it non-gnr like that VR had) and I think it would have been bad ass.

Sky Dog wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Thanks for posting. I wanna mentioned that I have a dream that one day, I won't have to fix every YouTube link you post.

16 19

smartass..:cool:

Sky Dog wrote:

and by the way....that Motivation sounds more old school Gnr than anything off Chinese.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

I actually think had Axl dropped the Gn'R name he may have been more successful. Maybe not touring wise but album sales wise maybe. yes there were the pucrhases that were made solely on the name Guns N' Roses but I think an Axl Rose record would've been met more favorably from the public thus leading to more sales maybe and less of a perception that  "it sucks because there's no Slash"

I post on a Van Halen message board from time to time and a lot of people there say seem to feel that way.  They said they would have respected and supported the "Axl Rose Project", but can't and won't support any version of GNR with JUST Axl.  It's too late now of course.  I don't think it'd make a difference if he dropped the GNR name today, but it would have been different back in the day.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

GnR kicking Axl out could have easily gone the way it went for Ozzy when he got the boot.  And today, Axl would have been agreeing to the RNR HOF and anything else they asked for, as long as they met his conditions. Exactly like how Sabbath had to go by Heaven and Hell when Ozzy wasn't involved.

But the truth is, Axl could never have given up the name once the CD journey began. CD is the story of replacing a house slat by slat and brick by brick until there's nothing remaining of the original house. There was never a single point when you could point and say, "Ok, NOW that isn't GNR anymore", at least from Axl and the record company's perspective.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Bono wrote:

And Axl-less Gn'R would've likley been as successful as say Velvet Revolver tongue . Maybe some people would've said no thanks the way they did with CD but fact is public opinion is people like Slash. And they recruited Sott Weiland who had a built in fanbase and the name itself would've gained a few sales.  This band was basically shoevd down people's throats as Gusn N' Roses without Axl/ with Scott by radio dj's everywhere.  It woudl've been met with the same resitnece though that 'You can't have Gn'r without Slash" and "you can't have Gn'R without Axl" type stuff.

I think it would have been less successful than VR, to be honest.  VR was billed as a supergroup of GNR and STP.  The band would have just been billed as GNR.  And imagine someone like Scott fronting GNR....  14

Board footer