You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Duff: Quit Whining About SOPA and PIPA

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If its not some exclusive Itunes EP  or one of my favorite artists, I'm heading to Pirate Bay. I think the collapse also played a role in the singles era we live in. You'll see songs sell millions but the album sales dont equal it but theres exceptions.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

If its not some exclusive Itunes EP  or one of my favorite artists, I'm heading to Pirate Bay. I think the collapse also played a role in the singles era we live in. You'll see songs sell millions but the album sales dont equal it but theres exceptions.

Yeah, like Adele. 17 million sold worldwide for her "21" album. That's impressive as hell considering the state of the industry and the economy as a whole.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The industry loses MILLIONS just on the lack of impulse buys in record stores. Almost every time I'd go to buy a tape/cd/lp, I'd walk out of there with several. Sometimes a recommendation from the clerk/owner. Doesnt happen in this era.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Like MANY others, I willingly bought music until the industry decided they no longer wanted me to buy it. A customer should not have to jump through hoops for a product. Thats why people take the download it free option.

Its not about there being too many hoops to jump through it's about music fans valuing the product less and less and becoming apathetic to it, resulting in them taking the easy, cheap and lazy option. I don't mean to offend anyone but this may offend some. It's more a commentary on the new generation than anyone here though. People who download and simply take music for free value the music less than those who are willing to go out and buy the albums, supporting the artists they enjoy, regardless of the "hoops" they have to jump through. People's attention span when it comes to music is much shorter and are less appreciative of music these days because of how easy it is to click a button and move to the next thing. This was also evident when CD's came out and people starting refering to songs by track numbers as well as having the ability to skip a song that didn't grab their attention within the first 10 seconds.

I don't believe people bought music willingly untill they felt betrayed by the music industry. People bought music willingly untill it became more convenient and cheaper for them to take it for free. It all coincides with the advancement in technology and the ease of access to  free music online.

The reason people don't pay for music is because it's readily available for free on the internet and that is the ONLY reason. Impluse buys are down because it's free online. Access to free anything will kill any industry. If people could download free cars the automobile industry would be ruined regardless of how well run and how great the service was. If you could download free meals from your favorite fast food joint people would,  despite how convenient drive-thrus are.

Music is still available for purchase to anyone who wants it. Via big stores like walmart or large music store chains or online stores like Amazon. In fact you can pretty much find anything you want on Amazon and it's where I purchase most of my muisc these days. If it's not there chances are the band is incredibly Indie and has the album for sale on their own website.  So to suggest people aren't paying for music because there's just too many hoops to jump through just isn't true at all. It simply boils down to people not paying for something they can get for free. Honestly  James standing in line at a walmart isn't that bad a thing to justify taking an album for free.  Suggesting there's too many hoops to go through to pay for music is simply justifying it to yourself in my opinion. That's all.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

James I think there's probably a cultural distinction between your experience in the USA and mine over here in Australia.

Over here the "mom and pop" type smaller record stores are pretty much a thing of the past (maybe a couple of exceptions) but there's a chain of electronics retailers (JB Hifi) - that basically sell LCD Tvs, DVDs and CDs and at least in melbourne where I live there's one of these in every major shopping centre and at various other places.

I can think of at least 3 outlets of the chain within 30 minutes of here, the closest of which is 10 minutes away.

Now granted they tend to stock modern stuff - so it can be an issue with catalogue releases - like if I want every album of cinderella or something I'd be lucky to get anything but a best of without placing an order...but if I'm after Alice Coopers new album or Adele or whatever...there's absolutely no hoops to jump through.

For the record they do stock loaded and all kinds of stuff.

I guess it's different if you guys are looking at travel and stuff to get products.

But for users in my area, it's seriously a choice between go to the store and pay $20 for it, or download it for free tonight on your ISP.

So at least for me it's as bono says...it comes down to why pay for it if you don't have to. The $20 you save on CDs goes towards the next holiday with the kids or whatever for most people I think.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with James that Duff and the industry made their bed, now they need to lie in it.

But as for CD's, growing up I lived in a rural mining area. Old fashioned record stores were rare and hard to find, but around, and most of the time the big box stores were your best option, and even then you still had to drive 20-35 minutes one-way to get to one.

These were the days before downloading.

And I drove it. When the internet happened, I ordered it from Amazon.

And when CD got released, I drove 2-1/2 hours to get CD from a Best Buy to complete a promise I had made to myself 5 years earlier.

Chinese Democracy was the last time I drove to a store to buy an album. It was bittersweet, but fitting.

But as much as I agree with Lofton, I don't see a lack of access as a real deal excuse. Amazon has been right there, along with a hundred others for over a decade.

As for Bono... i'd like to have more faith in people than that. I guess i'm the exception working on my own personal honor system with artist purchases. But in reality... you're probably right. Someone else said it too... people are probably just wanting something for nothing.

And if that truely is the reason FUCK THEM. FUCK those assholes. Because I never have operated like that since Napster, i've bought thousands of dollars worth from the entertainment industry, proud of it. I would hate to know i'm the only one out there kinda bridging the gap between the downloaders and the buyers. hmm

johndivney wrote:

sad to hear this crap coming from the duffer

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

James I think there's probably a cultural distinction between your experience in the USA and mine over here in Australia.

Over here the "mom and pop" type smaller record stores are pretty much a thing of the past (maybe a couple of exceptions) but there's a chain of electronics retailers (JB Hifi) - that basically sell LCD Tvs, DVDs and CDs and at least in melbourne where I live there's one of these in every major shopping centre and at various other places.

I can think of at least 3 outlets of the chain within 30 minutes of here, the closest of which is 10 minutes away.

Now granted they tend to stock modern stuff - so it can be an issue with catalogue releases - like if I want every album of cinderella or something I'd be lucky to get anything but a best of without placing an order...but if I'm after Alice Coopers new album or Adele or whatever...there's absolutely no hoops to jump through.

For the record they do stock loaded and all kinds of stuff.

I guess it's different if you guys are looking at travel and stuff to get products.

But for users in my area, it's seriously a choice between go to the store and pay $20 for it, or download it for free tonight on your ISP.

So at least for me it's as bono says...it comes down to why pay for it if you don't have to. The $20 you save on CDs goes towards the next holiday with the kids or whatever for most people I think.

I live in Sydney, and I can vouch for this too, JB stores are huge. They even stock a lot of rare stuff, and their hard rock / metal section seems to grow and grow very time I visit.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Not a conspiracy theorist at all usually, but this is very strange and disturbing in light of the recent megaupload crackdown.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali … 21airvinyl

Board footer