You are not logged in. Please register or login.

justbill
 Rep: 16 

Re: Alice In Chains

justbill wrote:

‘Hollow’ will be available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon on January 8th, with the official music video (for the song) set to follow... The forthcoming yet-to-be-titled album from Alice In Chains is tentatively set for release this April, according to HardDrive Radio. Which means, the "official" first single will be released around late February, early March, to further hype the album.

Either way, this song is awesome and I can't wait to hear more from them in the coming months.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Listened to it same day it came out. At first I was not blown away, as it just sounded like a simple "Black Gives Way To Blue" B-side. Nothing more, nothing less.

But as I listened to it over and over again, more came out of the song. Firstly, I will say this... the second half is far superior. I just enjoyed the second half more.

I'd be curious to hear more of the album, but if Hollow is the first single, it's not near as strong of a first single as A Looking In View was for BGWTB. jmho

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Very cool. I decided to listen to it fully again today for the first time in awhile, and it still holds up. It's just straight-forward, what Alice In Chains was, not super experiental, just a full reminder of what they were and what Jerry brought to the table as a writer.

There's a few tracks that are lyrically underrated. I thought Lesson Learned was especially good.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Personally, I think William DuVall does 'decent' on the studio tracks he fronts, but live -- forget it. I tried to listen to a AIC live show on YouTube the other day, and I equate DuVall's live singing to ear rape.

I usually don't use words that strong, but he's that awful live, as least from the audio i've heard. It really sounds terrible, and frankly with all of the post-grunge acts out there, my thoughts is there has to be someone out there that can do better.

It's a tricky thing. I agree with you I don't want a full on Layne impersonator, because it shits on the memory of Layne, but at the same time those who think DuVall actually does a good Layne service I think are crazy, and at the same time the people that completely shit on DuVall and say that "AIC doesn't exist; Layne's dead" are also completely wrong.

So i'm drifting off in some AIC purgatory. I think DuVall does well enough in a studio setting that his songs are good (Jerry's are great, obviously, the actual AIC). But after hearing what I heard live, I have absolutely no plans to see them live, unless it's 'dirt' cheap.

Those who make comments like, "if you close your eyes, you can almost pretend Layne's there".... maybe in a studio setting, but live... Jesus God no.

Even with BGWTB, I was glad Jerry stuck to leading the album primarily. I really hope they stick with that in the next album. If they give William more of a role in the next album, it might become more apparent how average he is. The reason the last album worked was because they situationally used him, and that worked. It's kind of like the relief pitcher who can give you 3 outs/3 strikeouts easy if all he has to pitch is a half inning. But if he had to start the game and give you 7 full innings, he'd probably give up 6 runs a game. That's William DuVall. The relief pitcher of grunge.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

http://loudwire.com/alice-in-chains-unv … new-album/

New album details. : ) Weird; but interesting album title too.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Horrific album title. Then again I didn't think much of 'King Animal' either.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I like it actually.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Personally, I think William DuVall does 'decent' on the studio tracks he fronts, but live -- forget it. I tried to listen to a AIC live show on YouTube the other day, and I equate DuVall's live singing to ear rape.

I usually don't use words that strong, but he's that awful live, as least from the audio i've heard. It really sounds terrible, and frankly with all of the post-grunge acts out there, my thoughts is there has to be someone out there that can do better.

It's a tricky thing. I agree with you I don't want a full on Layne impersonator, because it shits on the memory of Layne, but at the same time those who think DuVall actually does a good Layne service I think are crazy, and at the same time the people that completely shit on DuVall and say that "AIC doesn't exist; Layne's dead" are also completely wrong.

So i'm drifting off in some AIC purgatory. I think DuVall does well enough in a studio setting that his songs are good (Jerry's are great, obviously, the actual AIC). But after hearing what I heard live, I have absolutely no plans to see them live, unless it's 'dirt' cheap.

Those who make comments like, "if you close your eyes, you can almost pretend Layne's there".... maybe in a studio setting, but live... Jesus God no.

Even with BGWTB, I was glad Jerry stuck to leading the album primarily. I really hope they stick with that in the next album. If they give William more of a role in the next album, it might become more apparent how average he is. The reason the last album worked was because they situationally used him, and that worked. It's kind of like the relief pitcher who can give you 3 outs/3 strikeouts easy if all he has to pitch is a half inning. But if he had to start the game and give you 7 full innings, he'd probably give up 6 runs a game. That's William DuVall. The relief pitcher of grunge.

Duvall is FANTASTIC live. Having been there and heard him three times. Tell me one ONE rock singer that sounds good on youtube?

Board footer