You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Alice In Chains

Son of a Gun wrote:

It`s a good album but Black Gives Way to Blue was much better, it was as good as anything with Layne. This album is a grower I must listen to it several times to digest completely.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

wow lots to think about in that review.

Will post more later is nearly 4am here now.

"If you loved Black Gives Way To Blue. You WILL LIKE this record. But because you like BGWTB, you WILL NOT love this record for the same reasons" - strongly agree with that.

To me it's like a sequel/companion piece to that record...so if you like one you'll like both, but I think the first one has a lot strong songs in terms of immediate hooks - like "Check My Brain" or "Lesson Learned" are absurdly catchy in a way this album isn't - although I am really liking this album - but it's much more of a slow burn than immediate hook record.

Curious to me that you don't like Stone though - it's my fav at the moment - I took the lyrics to be about a guy who isn't "emotionally available" so to speak.

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:

I just finished DPDH 2 days ago. I think it's as good as Facelift but inferior to Jar of Flies and Dirt.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
NoKnownName wrote:

I just finished DPDH 2 days ago. I think it's as good as Facelift but inferior to Jar of Flies and Dirt.

It`s much weaker than Facelift We Die Young, Man in the Box, Sea of Sorrow, Bleed the Freak, Love, Hate, Love are great songs. Facelift is much stronger effort with better songs.

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
NoKnownName wrote:

It`s much weaker than Facelift We Die Young, Man in the Box, Sea of Sorrow, Bleed the Freak, Love, Hate, Love are great songs. Facelift is much stronger effort with better songs.

Facelift is stronger, but I like both equally.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

wow lots to think about in that review.

Will post more later is nearly 4am here now.

"If you loved Black Gives Way To Blue. You WILL LIKE this record. But because you like BGWTB, you WILL NOT love this record for the same reasons" - strongly agree with that.

To me it's like a sequel/companion piece to that record...so if you like one you'll like both, but I think the first one has a lot strong songs in terms of immediate hooks - like "Check My Brain" or "Lesson Learned" are absurdly catchy in a way this album isn't - although I am really liking this album - but it's much more of a slow burn than immediate hook record.

Curious to me that you don't like Stone though - it's my fav at the moment - I took the lyrics to be about a guy who isn't "emotionally available" so to speak.

Stone, might be a grower. I dunno. I definitely can see your take on the lyrics, but I felt it was a slag on the media because of the whole "cut me" stuff in it.

I can definitely say Lab Monkey is a grower. The other day I was listening to it, in storming rain, and it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Might be the best song on the album. Real sludgy.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

http://loudwire.com/alice-in-chains-the … um-review/

The press gave it an awesome review earlier. I actually listened to most of the album today and earlier this weekend; but haven't finished it yet due to being pre-occupied with other things. Going to finish it tonight. Re-listen to a couple tracks and then post my thoughts and somewhat of a review after that. So far from what I've listened to, I'm loving and rocking out to. I was blasting the tunes in an empty classroom I was chilling in on campus before my shift. cool

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Overall I thought this album was very well produced, some songs are superior to Black and even original AIC material, and it's a solid rock record that definitely deserves repeated listening to get everything. Haven't heard a clunker or inferior song on this album. Maybe a few that need to be cut abit or have a stronger lyric foundation surrounding the music. Some better writing I could see helping improving the songs is what is needed so far. Probably Choke, Stone, and probably Devil are growers but not weak songs. Just lack that a potential where I will agree on Axlin from his recent review. Will I think is put out in fine form with the material he works with and the riffs and harmonies with Jerry are simply fantastic. William's vocals sound more fleshed out on this record while Jerry is still the man. No problems with Sean and Mike being the amazing rock rhythm that they are. They try some new things with the formula which works and alot of songs and production have that Dirt vibe going which I dig. Layne would be proud and I agree that his prescence watching over this record is shown; but allowing this current version of the band to move forward and still be the rock legends they are. It's a very cool rock record and this year I've discovered so many great albums and this is one of them. With everyone bugged about the title and the different vibes going on it could of easily been a lazy uninspired jam or a mishap at trying to capture lighting twice in this revival. Gladly this isn't the case and I look forward to hearing more from this band in the near future. ...and hoping one day to see them live. Going to come back to some of these songs in the next couple of weeks and see if they get better with my ears.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I should probably get a copy of this in preparation for the show ill be attending black gives way to blue was cool

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I really like the album and prefer it to BGWTB, but I fear that the prominence Jerry has taken on in the Vocals keeps him from pushing his boundaries on guitar. I also worry that maybe his neck surgery is affecting his playing and preventing him from some more aggressive riffs. I mean, he was never the most gifted guitar player but he made the best with what he has, especially on Facelift. Songs like Put You Down, I Know Somethin' (Bout You), and even unreleased songs like Lying Season and Fear the Voices all have really great interesting riffs. I think the key though is that he really didn't have to sing much on those tracks...

Board footer