You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Alice In Chains

Axlin16 wrote:

I gotta admit, like King Animal, i've been listening to this over and over, and it's starting to feel more and more like the grower we all originally predicted. Even some of the tracks I said before are starting to change for me, like Low Ceiling. Suddenly they seem even better than before.

Sure there are immediate grabs, and still a couple of weaker ones, but like KA it's an album for fans and it's a slow burn. Suddenly alot of the stuff seems more defined than it was before.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Axlin12 wrote:

I gotta admit, like King Animal, i've been listening to this over and over, and it's starting to feel more and more like the grower we all originally predicted. Even some of the tracks I said before are starting to change for me, like Low Ceiling. Suddenly they seem even better than before.

Sure there are immediate grabs, and still a couple of weaker ones, but like KA it's an album for fans and it's a slow burn. Suddenly alot of the stuff seems more defined than it was before.

Embrace it. It is your destiny! 16 I'm impressed with this album.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

That's what I was saying. I heard people say this album all sounded the same and I disagreed. It needs to be played and absorbed. As you do, these songs come to life. Most don't jump out immediately though. 

I felt your review was premature to be honest (no offense at all.) Unless you had been listening to it for a week already, which I doubt you had. 19

Keep pressing play dude. 9

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Axlin12 I went back and read your review for the first time and I gotta say, you have to give more props to Low Ceiling and Breath on a Window - those two songs bleed into eachother so perfectly and I think it is the best moment on the album.

Also, as for the three "ballads" I easily prefer Choke. I agree with your comment that the positioning as the album's closer may warp some opinions on it.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

This is a really solid album. I was listening to it at work the other day, and had no desire to skip the songs. None of them ever overstay their welcome, which is a big problem that some of these other acts have with their songs.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Yeah, Axlin.... I gotta give you credit. I listened to the record twice.. Blew it off as a shitty record.... I read your review, and you were spot on about a few things...

1.Lab Monkey
2.Voices
and
3.Where the FUCK is William Duvall on this thing? He killed Acid Bubble. End of list. And he's been in the band as long as Layne was. More in depth later... Thanks, man.

**edit**  and... #4: It really should have been an E.P.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I still need to give the new record more listens to form a full opinion, but I think it and BGWTB are much more comparable to Boggy Depot and Degradation Trip than they are to AIC, both in terms of sound and quality.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

As I said before, it`s a good album it grows on me but to me it sounds like Jerry`s solo record as he sings nearly all songs. William had more presence and input in BGWTB. It`s still better than 13.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

That's what I was saying. I heard people say this album all sounded the same and I disagreed. It needs to be played and absorbed. As you do, these songs come to life. Most don't jump out immediately though. 

I felt your review was premature to be honest (no offense at all.) Unless you had been listening to it for a week already, which I doubt you had. 19

Keep pressing play dude. 9

No I didn't listen to any leaks. The only "jump"  I had on the record was I did the Amazon.com "CD + AutoRip-MP3" option and by 2am the day of release I basically was downloading the songs to my smartphone and listening full "old school headphones"-style, and really absorbing this, very fucking wasted. The right way. The AIC way.

And honestly I don't think THAT much has changed for me since my original review. Some things, yes, and I definitely think it's a grower. But I also still firmly believe BGWTB was a better record, but not by massive leaps.

I truly stand by my original assessment in a nutshell... TDPDH is AIC's Reload to BGWTB's Load.

That BGWTB was "their comeback record" moment, no different than Metallica in 1996, although Metallica's hiatus was far shorter, and they didn't lose their frontman. Regardless, that's still where i'm at.

FlashFlood wrote:

Axlin12 I went back and read your review for the first time and I gotta say, you have to give more props to Low Ceiling and Breath on a Window - those two songs bleed into eachother so perfectly and I think it is the best moment on the album.

Also, as for the three "ballads" I easily prefer Choke. I agree with your comment that the positioning as the album's closer may warp some opinions on it.

I was listening to Breath On A Window the other day, and instrumentally the band is just on fire. Vintage Chains. But the chorus... I just struggle with it.

Breath On Window, Getting Tic Tac Toe, There Ain't Nobody Home...

Really? That's the big hook? The song that surrounds that chorus, deserves a better verse there imho. It's AIC's "Halfway There" moment on the album.

Furbush wrote:

Yeah, Axlin.... I gotta give you credit. I listened to the record twice.. Blew it off as a shitty record.... I read your review, and you were spot on about a few things...

1.Lab Monkey
2.Voices
and
3.Where the FUCK is William Duvall on this thing? He killed Acid Bubble. End of list. And he's been in the band as long as Layne was. More in depth later... Thanks, man.

**edit**  and... #4: It really should have been an E.P.

And I also agree again. I felt that way about Load/Reload. Load should've been an EP, and Reload should've been the big Gun album comeback around 1997 with all the major hits. The cutting room floor stuff could've been saved as bonuses later on, or just re-worked for future albums to trickle out here and there.

In hind-sight I feel the same way about UYI I & II. Had UYI been a full album LP, like all the other rock acts at the time with the best of the best, and then in 1992 drop "Skin N' Bones" or "Get In The Ring", a post-LP, EP with the best of the stuff left over, it would've kept quality high.

Alice In Chains really showed how this concept could be successful in the 1990s. Jar of Flies remains one of the best selling EP's in history. I think people are forgetting something.

Four years

We waited four years for this? As much as I like this record, I don't hear anything earth-shattering to make it understandable for a four-year wait. So to me there are a few tracks on this that could've been kept off, and had the band buckled down, they could've dropped this as an EP a couple years after BGWTB. jmho

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Oh by the way, Axlin. Were you able to catch the AIC vid on Funny or Die awhile back? Jerry and the boys were funny as hell. Great video! I'm still loving Devil and yeah I think a few songs were unneeded for this album; but it's an impressive continuation to me. Just hope we all won't have to wait too long for new material later on. It's not album of the year material and alot of Black's material outshines this; but I'm loving it.

Board footer