You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: The X-FILES Thread

Will wrote:

I just watched "I Want To Believe" and have to say I enjoyed it. As Russ said, "it just seemed more like a long episode than a movie", and for me that was just what I was looking for smile

Having only seen up to series 4 of the TV series, and not having seen the 1st X-Files movie, I was a bit taken aback when I saw Mulder & Scully in bed together though 16

Going to order series 2 on DVD now as I expect I'll be craving it shortly. December is always a quiet month for me so planning to dig out my series 1 boxset and enjoy all over again big_smile

PS - Gillian is still smokin hot 11

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah they hooked up in the last couple of seasons.

Believe it or not, I actually always really liked the characters of Doggett (Robert Patrick) and Reyes (Annabeth Gish), and thought they would've been a great reboot team for the series.

Too bad Chris Carter's originality was FRIED at that point in the series. The show was over, even if Scully and Mulder had been on there. It was done.

Honestly i've always referred to the series as "pre-Fight The Future" / "post-Fight The Future". In some ways the movie could've been seen as a series finale of sorts to the classic series. It was never EVER the same again.

Plus moving production to sunny California, from dreary rain-soaked Vancouver, BC was the WRONG move as well. The grungy-Vancouver aspect of Seasons 1-5 added to the creepy-vibe of the series. Gave it a dingy-look.

Ducovney screwed that up. He complained for years until the series got moved to in and around LA so he could be closer to his family. They kept it there so he'd do episodes of the show.

Something about that whole process, the show was never ever the same. Never looked the same, never played the same, never felt the same. Plus by Season 7 the writing was in the tank. Most of Season 6 hurt badly too. Ducovney forced their hand to turn the show campy and the stand-alone episodes became more comedy-driven, which blew.

AtariLegend wrote:

‘The X-Files’ Revival: David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson to Reprise Roles on Fox

“The X-Files” gang is getting back together for a six-episode limited series to which Fox has formally given a series order.

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will be back as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. Series creator Chris Carter will be at the helm for 20th Century Fox TV and Ten Thirteen Productions. Production is set to begin this summer, although Fox has not yet set an air date.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The “X-Files” revival follows last spring’s return of “24” as a 13-episode limited series. NBC has joined the mania for resurrecting series with built-in audience awareness with its plans for the “Heroes Reborn” miniseries next season.

“X-Files” is a natural, as the show about FBI sleuths investigating instances of paranormal activity is tailor-made for social-media obsession — even if it hails from an earlier TV era. “X-Files” had a nine-season run on Fox from 1993-2002. It spawned two feature films, 1998’s “The X-Files: Fight the Future” and 2008’s “The X-Files: I Want to Believe.”

Fox Television Group chairs Gary Newman and Dana Walden shepherded the show on the studio side during its network run. The pair have made no secret of their interest in bringing it back. The new episodes may well spark renewed interest in the show from SVOD platforms, just as the “24: Live Another Day” episodes spurred Fox to cut a rich pact for the entire series library with Amazon Prime.

Earlier this year, Newman and Walden confirmed early plans for “The X-Files” revival at the Television Critics Assn. press tour.

Now official, the duo commented: “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of ‘The X-Files’ — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.”

They added, “‘The X-Files’ was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as ‘The X-Files,’ and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

Source: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-x-f … 201459006/

The new X-Files will premiere in January and other news from Fox's 2016 television slate

Fox Television has picked up shows based on Minority Report and The Sandman, as well as horror/comedy series Scream Queens, and announced that The X-Files will return on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2016.

The revival of the seminal science fiction procedural will have a regular time slot of 8 p.m. on Monday night, but will debut at 10 p.m. after the NFC Championship Game. The second of the six episodes will follow the next day at 8 p.m. Fox TV CEO Dana Walden explained the premiere timing:

"We've got a lot going on in midseason on our schedule and it felt like the best way to capitalize on all of the opportunities was to give The X-Files, something that's so highly anticipated, that fans have been literally clamoring for for a decade, giving it the best, maximum expose in that post-NFC game time period and then starting the next day with the first of the next five episodes. So it'll air Sunday night and then Monday night and then for the next five weeks, which will give us a great opportunity to platform our new show Lucifer on Monday night."

Lucifer, starring Merlin's Tom Ellis, is based on characters from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, and you can probably guess which one. One of subplots of Gaiman's 1989 Vertigo Comics series involved Lucifer abandoning his rule of Hell, having gotten fed up with playing into god's ineffable plan for millennia by punishing sinners. In comics, Old Scratch moved to Los Angeles and opened a piano bar, in television, according to Fox's press release, he "takes refuge in Los Angeles, where he uses his gift of persuasion to punish bad guys. But the longer he's away from the underworld, the greater the threat that the worst of humanity could escape."

But The X-Files and Sandman aren't the only blasts from the past showing up on Fox. The network picked up a cop show based on Steven Spielberg's Minority Report, starring Stark Sands and Meagan Good. Also on the docket: Scream Queens, from the creators of Glee, a series playing fast and free with all the tropes of Final Girl horror flicks. With a cast that includes horror veterans Jamie Lee Curtis and Emma Roberts, a sorority house races to figure out who is responsible for the rash of murders on their campus.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/11/858497 … re-january

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This could be interesting. I lost interest in the show years before it ended but there is definite potential in a storyline dealing with the global obsession with Facebook, Twitter, and whatever new phone/internet fad on the horizon. I'm actually surprised at the lack of film/tv shows dealing with the subject.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:

This could be interesting. I lost interest in the show years before it ended but there is definite potential in a storyline dealing with the global obsession with Facebook, Twitter, and whatever new phone/internet fad on the horizon. I'm actually surprised at the lack of film/tv shows dealing with the subject.

I think there's a horror movie on the horizon based that general topic called 'unfriended' or something like that. No idea if it'll be any good though.

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think there's a horror movie on the horizon based that general topic called 'unfriended' or something like that. No idea if it'll be any good though.

It looked really silly from the initial trailers.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

They already made that movie, it's called -- Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Pretty much, right? Think about it. H3 was ahead of it's time. It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers meets the computer age, BEFORE the computer age knew the internet would happen, and the internet-gen's obsesesion and all the capitalism through in. Even watch Conal Cochran in the film jive assin' with the TV guy on the phone talking about "getting a 43 share" for the "Big Giveaway at 9" after the original Halloween got done playing.

The entire concept was a big conspiracy for an ancient warlock to make a massive blood sacrifice on the black sabbath of Halloween via TV (for those who haven't seen it). Again... ahead of it's time in social commentary.

As for The X-Files, i'm looking forward to the revival. The 24 revival was pretty good on Fox. Oh yeah and to correct the original story, X-Files is coming back and doing ONLY 6 one-hour episodes. It's supposed to premiere as a 2-hour, 2-night event in January 2016. Then air for one month for the remaining 4 one-hour episodes. It's NOT going to be 12-episodes like the 24 revival, as stated in the earlier news release.

I wish they'd do more episodes in the return, but then again who knows if Chris Carter has anything more to say? The last few seasons of the original show were forgettable, and X-Files: I Want To Believe was also forgettable.

Supposedly the new 6-episode return is is feature SOLELY the alien conspiracy story that was the steak n' potatoes of the original show.

AtariLegend wrote:

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

AtariLegend wrote:

Neat. Look forward to it.

Board footer