You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

Re: CD update from record execs, it's 2006 again

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgos … cd304270b5

We're apparently closer than ever, and I'm trying not to get too excited, because of what happened in 2006 and 2007. In any event, however this is refreshing to hear, especially from a most likely legit website/source.

Thoughts? 22

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

That link doesn't work.

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This does seem promicing huh!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Guns N' Roses fans, the more-than-a-decade-in the-making album Chinese Democracy really does seem to be getting very close to a release date.

No, really. This is what I'm hearing:

Axl Rose & Co. have recently been letting people, music industry honchos, tastemakers and so forth, listen to six new tracks, according to a music executive who has heard the songs.

The exec raved about the music. 'It's really good,' he said. 'Axl's voice sounds exactly the same, but the songs sound contemporary. You expect it to be a trainwreck, but it's not.'

Reps didn't talk about exact release dates, according to my source, but they implied it could still happen by the end of the year. (Yes, I know we've heard this before.)

Just last week, Rose announced on the official Guns N' Roses website that the band hired a new management team headed by heavyweights Irving Azoff and Andy Gould.

The band's last original recordings, Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II, were released in 1991. Since their debut in 1985, they have sold an estimated 90 million albums worldwide.

James

James wrote:

You expect it to be a trainwreck, but it's not.

That statement is spot on. It really describes what we've heard so far, and it looks like the unheard tracks follow a similar path. The CD songs are a mish mash of several genres of music, and the quality of the material isn't trainwreck status because of the extreme talent on the songs.

Looks like we've moved one small step closer to the promised land.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

So it begins...

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Let's hope this time it's for real.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That statement is spot on. It really describes what we've heard so far, and it looks like the unheard tracks follow a similar path. The CD songs are a mish mash of several genres of music, and the quality of the material isn't trainwreck status because of the extreme talent on the songs.

I agree, it's not a trainwreck. But it's not mindblowing either. The song "Chinese Democracy" is a good example of this. Some of it IS mindblowing, the intro and Axl's kickass screams for instance. The intro is amazing -- tons of tension building and then those amazing riffs! But most of the song sounds like there's too many damn layers, etc. As someone once said, it's like Appetite on steroids, which is not necessarily a good thing. Madagascar for instance has some awesome guitar work on the demo and by the end of it Axl kicks ass but his vocals at the beginning suck (hopefully he's re-done them once it officially gets released). And we've all heard the 2007 butchered demo of "Better" with the synths on steroids crap where the guitars are drowned out through half the song. I think it could end up being a very good album and I hope Axl has some awesome shit up his sleeve that we haven't heard, but the stuff we have heard is very good yet inconsistent.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I agree, it's not a trainwreck. But it's not mindblowing either. The song "Chinese Democracy" is a good example of this. Some of it IS mindblowing, the intro and Axl's kickass screams for instance. The intro is amazing -- tons of tension building and then those amazing riffs! But most of the song sounds like there's too many damn layers, etc. As someone once said, it's like Appetite on steroids, which is not necessarily a good thing. Madagascar for instance has some awesome guitar work on the demo and by the end of it Axl kicks ass but his vocals at the beginning suck (hopefully he's re-done them once it officially gets released). And we've all heard the 2007 butchered demo of "Better" with the synths on steroids crap where the guitars are drowned out through half the song. I think it could end up being a very good album and I hope Axl has some awesome shit up his sleeve that we haven't heard, but the stuff we have heard is very good yet inconsistent.

Excellent post. I think you have posted the sentiment of quite a few of the people who have observed this fiasco from the beginning. At least the "realists" sentiment.

You are correct in saying that the album is in no way gonna be "brilliant" and mindblowing in the true sense and use of those words. Terms such as "epic", "mind blowing", and "masterpiece" have been thrown around these forums too easily over the years. I once saw a post claiming IRS to be" an extremely epic track. Will be as big as Zep's Stairway to Heaven ". In other words, fan boy masturbation.

The album will have flashes of brilliance. IRS which is pretty much a straight up rocker with repetitive lyrics and worthy of considering changing the radio station while halfway into it, has a true flash of brilliance during the Axl scream and BH solo. The two artists show their chemistry during this 22 seconds.

TWAT is another great example. The outro is something all music lovers should have to listen to before dying. It's a highlight of BH's resume, and I have always considered the outro as Buckethead's paying tribute to Slash as the song has an old GNR classic appeal to it and he knew the right piece of music to end it.

The Blues is not just an incredible track, but Finck really putting his own stamp on GNR. Could have been the highlight of his career. Unfortunately, the song was neutered into an REO Speedwagon ballad with amazing lyrics, and a high point musically for Finck winds up not having the brilliance it could have had.

Too much tinkering is affecting the songs. Just about everyone in the world prefers the ballsier 06 leak to the later ones. Also, the use of hip hop beats is going to be a major factor in the quality of the finished product. Not saying that because I hate hip hop, but the beats are stale and in no way creative or innovative and don't really add enough to the equation to what's going on in the rest of the song to warrant its use.

Nothing wrong with snyth, but like you said, its plaguing good material by filling holes where no holes need to be filled. Lower that fucking synth in CD and up Tommy's bass during the track.

The album is a mixture of genres from the past 20 years, but they are doing a great job at it. But the project's direction doesn't seem to have a true flow(which would negate talk of a concept album). A lack of cohesiveness could kill the record.

Regardless, when we finally get to hear this album in full, its going to be a very interesting experience.

Board footer