You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Something is up with Pitman

Smoking Guns wrote:

When you have too much bass it is hard to hear Franks kick drum. I love bass. But in my big surround sound yesterday while watching the O2 Gig, the bass was too much in my opinion. For the studio it could be good. For some reason during that gig, you could hardly hear Ashba as well.

Pitman may know his shit. But that knowledge is not needed in GNR and neither are his "look at me" posts... Aka LAMP. Watching the show Dizzy looks cool and chill. Then it pans over to Chris. I have no clue what he really does except press play on civil war overdub and also sub bass. There must be some need for him on keyboards like there was for zig zag. Zig zag looked and acted pretty damn cool. No doubt. Pitman is a little creepy and does seem to think highly of himself. Though he is not needed, if Axl is happy with, then great.

So do you agree Brownstone sounds way different?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Pitman not needed? If he was tinkering with Cd II in 2015 with Axl then I consider him needed....at least in THAT role. Fortus said they were working with some Slash riffs last year. Seems like you'd be hoping Mother Goose is placing those in strategic areas of songs. Who else is going to do it? 14

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Needed in studio yes. Not needed really in stage. Really only Estrange and NR "need" Dizzy. Slash plays a shit load of guns songs with now key board player. Anyway he will be there so who cares. Doesn't mean I need to over value his role.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Needed in studio yes. Not needed really in stage. Really only Estrange and NR "need" Dizzy. Slash plays a shit load of guns songs with now key board player. Anyway he will be there so who cares. Doesn't mean I need to over value his role.

Nor does it mean you have to undervalue his role. I'm beginning to think Pitman banged your girlfriend. The only reasonable explanation for the amount of hatred you throw his way.

AtariLegend wrote:

Smoking is starting to remind me of shades on MYGNR who seems to genuinely believe that Obama is the literal anti-Christ.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Haha. Relax fellas. About to see Grace Potter live. She seems like a cool chic.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

When you have too much bass it is hard to hear Franks kick drum. I love bass. But in my big surround sound yesterday while watching the O2 Gig, the bass was too much in my opinion. For the studio it could be good. For some reason during that gig, you could hardly hear Ashba as well.

Pitman may know his shit. But that knowledge is not needed in GNR and neither are his "look at me" posts... Aka LAMP. Watching the show Dizzy looks cool and chill. Then it pans over to Chris. I have no clue what he really does except press play on civil war overdub and also sub bass. There must be some need for him on keyboards like there was for zig zag. Zig zag looked and acted pretty damn cool. No doubt. Pitman is a little creepy and does seem to think highly of himself. Though he is not needed, if Axl is happy with, then great.

The 02 show is infamous for the terrible mixing, so that has little to do with the band.

And yeah, the Mother Goose, Fortis and Frank (mostly Pittman) hate is becoming almost trollish, man. Like really tiring to keep reading.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Smoking is starting to remind me of shades on MYGNR who seems to genuinely believe that Obama is the literal anti-Christ.

Bwhahahahaha.... I pee'd myself laughing this...

Goddamn Atari, 14

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The 02 show is infamous for the terrible mixing, so that has little to do with the band.

And yeah, the Mother Goose, Fortis and Frank (mostly Pittman) hate is becoming almost trollish, man. Like really tiring to keep reading.

Agreed, and Axl S nailed it too in his proper Pitman defense. I just knew that GN'R reuniting, would take the Slash fans and put them on fucking 'roids and go nuts. They're getting a goddamn GN'R reunion -- a fucking reunion --- and they still got negativity to bring.

You know what i'm over? I'm fucking over, every single person in the media referring to Dizzy Reed as "new Guns", or "post old Guns".

No he fucking isn't. Dizzy Reed is in the fucking Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, as a member of Guns N' Roses.

If all of you nutswingers with your "GN'R doesn't have a keyboardist", then put your money where your mouth is.

Go listen to Appetite & Lies, masturbate, and repeat tomorrow, and fuck off. That band is dead! Cool?

Since 1990... 1990... 19 fucking 90 -- 26 mother fucking years -- GN'R has had a keyboardist.

Let... it... go...

Even if you get the AFD 5, it'll be + Dizzy Reed. Which is how it fucking should be, and how Axl wanted it in 1987, but Slash & Duff vetoed it.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Sub bass brings out low frequency sound in the mix and makes it more audible. i.e. the opposite of burying.

No it doesn't, most sub bass that gets added to music isn't even in-tune, it's just a rhythmic pumping of semi-random frequencies below 60hz. It only adds 'power', but nothing tonally. In fact, it kills dynamics, since it takes up a significant part of the overall dynamic range without adding much in the way of real musical information.

Sub bass is fine when you want to create a "pumping" effect in a compressor for EDM, or to spice up a badly miced/tuned bass drum in rock recordings. If you have a good kick sound, you don't need artificial sub bass at all in rock.

Axl S wrote:

Here is a photo of a harmonica:
and here is a photo of a professional Pro Tools setup

One is vastly more complex than the other. Care to guess which.

That's an epicly bad argument man. He could be a brain surgeon, still doesn't mean he should perform brain surgery on stage 'cause it's more complex than playing the harmonica. On top of that: the harmonica is an instrument, pro-tools is a tool. Anyone can learn how to use a tool, but not everyone can be an artist.

I'm in no way saying Pitman isn't good at what he does. I'm saying that some people don't care for what he's good at and rather not have two keyboard players in the live band. And even in what he's good at (studio producing), I personally vastly prefer a different style.

Axl S wrote:

But I can't understand why you hate some of these old guys with such a passion, and your dismissal of what they could bring to the table is uninformed.

It's not uninformed, it's a matter of taste. I'm sure you can understand that some people have different tastes in music, right?

Axl S wrote:

I'm getting pretty tired of having to read this dumb fanboy shit about how awful these guys are and "how amazing it would be if Slash told Fortus to sit the fuck down, and produced the fabled VR album that never was from his back pocket and if Axl just came over it in an instant." It's just stupid.

Sure, but the same can be said about fanboys talking about how Slash just joined Axl's band on Axl's terms and we'll still get CDII, yada yada yada... It's par for the course man, if you don't like it, just ignore it. Or, you know, share your own opinion without trying to represent it as fact.

Board footer