You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Guns N Roses Live at the Whiskey 88- Used to Love Her(minus Adler)

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

But even when the album was actually relevant he could be replaced at literally the drop of a hat, and they never took a hit for it.

They didn't take a hit when Izzy left either.

Like hell they didn't. Have you had a look at that post Izzy GNR discography lately? 16

That was coincidental honestly. They didn't break up because Izzy left. So we don't know how bad he is missed yet until an Izzy less Album with Slash, Duff, and Axl pops up. Also Izzy is absent on much of UYI and it turned out good.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He has writing credits all over those albums. Without those songs, we'd definitely notice the absence.

They also did half of TSI with him before removing him for Gilby.

James

James wrote:

I'm not saying they couldn't do something without him. It just shows that not everything was roses when they lost one of the guns.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm not saying they couldn't do something without him. It just shows that not everything was roses when they lost one of the guns.

But it was roses when they held on to the guns!  Haha. Yes he wrote a lot of tunes. But CD and the slash VR shit shows they can write a good tune on their own as well. I of course would prefer him back.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Really SG? I thought the Patience solo was garbage

Are you watching the same video? I thought that solo was awesome, some really great improv there!

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Thanks for posting this, I'll have to give it a watch later tonight. Don't recall ever hearing about this and it seems the video was only uploaded 5 days ago so could be first time it's been released, unless some historian knows otherwise? smile

James

James wrote:
Will wrote:

Thanks for posting this, I'll have to give it a watch later tonight. Don't recall ever hearing about this and it seems the video was only uploaded 5 days ago so could be first time it's been released, unless some historian knows otherwise? smile

It was posted on sludge from a guy known for posting very obscure shit on youtube so yeah....I think its fairly recent.

I know I've never heard of this guy subbing for Adler before.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I had never seen this before. Ever. I never knew this Howard guy filled in for Steven, either. Of course I knew Fred Coury from Cinderella filled in for awhile.

Either way, agree again it underscores how worthless Adler is to the core of GN'R. It's not that I hate the guy, and yes if anyone should be back there on the classics, it should be Steven before Matt, but again -- Frank Ferrer is the best all-around drummer GN'R has ever had and it should stay that way. Drummer for GN'R is kind of the same story for Pearl Jam (before Cameron). Drummer was always the least important job in the band. Regardless of what Izzy says.

As far as GN'R taking a hit after Izzy left... yes, writing-wise they were NEVER able to get back on the same page. Slash liked writing with Gilby. Axl wanted nothing to do with Gilby. Axl liked writing with Paul. Slash hated Paul. Slash & Duff liked writing together, but Axl didn't like the material. Axl & Duff liked writing together, but Slash didn't like the material.

So on and so on...

When Izzy was there. Whole different ballgame.

But ON STAGE... no, nothing was lost with Izzy being gone. Nothing. Gilby filled in perfectly fine on the UYI tour, and even Axl admitted that basically from 1989 on-wards the stage guys just turned Izzy's amp down and let Slash take on everything and be the star as a 4-piece + Dizzy later.

Enter 2016

We're still at the same problem. GN'R with Axl, Slash, Richard, Duff, Frank, Dizzy and "maybe" Chris (who knows anymore?) is gonna kick ass on stage. But will they ever get back in a writing groove without Izzy?

They're gonna have to try. If Izzy ain't coming back, he ain't coming back. He's been gone since 1990 fucking 1. Time to move on. Hopefully if they do write new material, it's good, and not the absolute disaster the post DeGarmo-era was for Queensryche. When DeGarmo left, they fell completely apart from a writing standpoint.

James

James wrote:

Hopefully if they do write new material, it's good, and not the absolute disaster the post DeGarmo-era was for Queensryche. When DeGarmo left, they fell completely apart from a writing standpoint.

Wow. That's a great(and scary) comparison to the situation. Hadn't thought of it like that. One big difference though....GNR has Axl...QR did not. 16

This is a good reason to tackle some of the worthy Chinese leftovers before writing new stuff from scratch. That might run into similar problems like in 94-95.

They need SOMETHING out there during the tour......even if its just one song.

I wish more footage of this show would surface. Now that a reunion is underway, we might start seeing cool stuff like this surface.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

True about QR. But for as much that people LOVE throwing Geoff Tate under the bus, in his prime, he had one of the most unique voices in metal, and basically has now been replaced by someone who has his throwback power, but not his tone. Tate is still Tate.

But Axl Rose was a good damn writer in his own right. This I Love proves he had what it takes. His lyrics are still some of the most underrated his his generation. I think Axl CRUSHES Kurt, and everybody slathers on Kurt. I also don't think Jerry Cantrell gets the credit he deserves from that era either.

But for all the shit Tate gets, no fucking body was coming up with anything better in that band either. It showed how much DeGarmo unified Tate with the rest of the band.

Even today, new Queensryche is really good. But it's by the numbers. Tate with Operation: Mindcrime is trying to parody himself for credibility (Axl was VERY close to that line VERY close... and pulled the nose up at the last nanosecond by calling Slash).

But still, it ain't DeGarmo-era QR. And like with Izzy, DeGarmo was kinda over all of it by the late 90's as well. And to this day has had no interest in coming back to it. Now that Tate's gone, certainly no interest.

I'm really holding out hope that Slash really likes writing with Richard. We know Axl likes writing with Duff & Chris, but if Slash digs Richard, ironically... of ALL people, Fortus will be fully realized as the secret weapon. He's the key. He's the bridge for future music imo.

Board footer