You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Slash and Duff working on CD II according to MSL

misterID wrote:
Major Mayhem wrote:

Is there a thread where all the leaks are contained in chronological order?

You might want to try  the Chinese Whispers section.

I like the drumming on CD, but there are moments I wish there was more ooomph, and I'll say Frank has more power in his playing than Brain. Sorum plays like a drum machine, IMO, very good but lacking soul and a bit stiff. I wish they could have snagged Jason Bonham, or Mike Bordin.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

wow I kind of have the opposite opinion of that. To me even the 'live' drums on CD sound fake and unnatural. Perhaps it's because Brain was asked to replicate Josh's parts, rather than just do what comes natural, or maybe it's been edited too much, maybe it's thrown by the tinny drum machines under it, or maybe it's because the songs evolved a lot after the drums so they don't quite suit. It's weird because Brain is a fantastic drummer out of GNR...but Chinese Democracy has the weakest drumming of the GNR catalogue.

Sorum I think is incredible. He brings kind of a metal feel to the drumming because of his power but he never really degenerates into full metal drumming and so it just gives the rock are harder vibe. I notice the drums in anything he plays on. He's got a great vibe to his playing - it's not as overly simple as say Ac/Dc but also not as distractingly complex as something like A7X. More over he plays the drums like the instrument adds something to the song rather than just keeping a beat - his fills are often what really made the song have the feel it does. Think of the into to "You Could Be Mine", the fills in "November Rain",  the incredible delivery of locomotive. The guy is a fantastic drummer and added a lot of value to the band IMO.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I am wondering, would Axl bring back Buckethead if he was able to? Or because he has Slash back, there is no need?

Would Slash be willing to work with Buckethead? If that was the case.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I am wondering, would Axl bring back Buckethead if he was able to? Or because he has Slash back, there is no need?

Would Slash be willing to work with Buckethead? If that was the case.

To do what is the question - if Slash back it is insane to divide up the slash solos he wrote into groups of 3's and share them around like the previous bands have.

In terms of bucket doing solos - well he'd be useful for Riad, Sorry and a handful of the CD tracks. But even then would he plays robin's bits too?

3 guitarists = 1 guy playing open chords most of the time + swapping soloists in the middle of solos while the sound guy catches up.

It might have made some sense to stop anyone from having too much 'power' over Axl in the new band...but now the guy that wrote the solos (14 songs excluded) is back - it doesn't make a lot.

TheSundanceKid

Oh I meant if they canned Richard.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Oh I meant if they canned Richard.

Ahh Ok....Slash and Bucket would sure bring some firepower!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

wow I kind of have the opposite opinion of that. To me even the 'live' drums on CD sound fake and unnatural. Perhaps it's because Brain was asked to replicate Josh's parts, rather than just do what comes natural, or maybe it's been edited too much, maybe it's thrown by the tinny drum machines under it, or maybe it's because the songs evolved a lot after the drums so they don't quite suit. It's weird because Brain is a fantastic drummer out of GNR...but Chinese Democracy has the weakest drumming of the GNR catalogue.

Sorum I think is incredible. He brings kind of a metal feel to the drumming because of his power but he never really degenerates into full metal drumming and so it just gives the rock are harder vibe. I notice the drums in anything he plays on. He's got a great vibe to his playing - it's not as overly simple as say Ac/Dc but also not as distractingly complex as something like A7X. More over he plays the drums like the instrument adds something to the song rather than just keeping a beat - his fills are often what really made the song have the feel it does. Think of the into to "You Could Be Mine", the fills in "November Rain",  the incredible delivery of locomotive. The guy is a fantastic drummer and added a lot of value to the band IMO.

Really, he's a good drummer and not terrible on UYI, but to my ears he doesn't gel with the band. Oh, I meant, getting Bonham or Gordon instead of Matt during the uyi days.  Matt bitched about the ballads anyway.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Zero percent chance of Bucket coming back after he bailed....less than zero percent chance now. The focus will clearly be Axl, Slash, and Duff. You put Bucket up on that stage and a large portion of the crowd are going to be looking at him and his own rabid fan base showing up cheering him.

Not happening.

People like Fortus, Frank,etc. can just blend into the background. Bucket cannot...

TheSundanceKid

I'm just helluva excited for Slash and Duff to be back and this dynamic.

I mean really who knew?

I can be out of the cold finally. Since ever since that cockmouth DJ Ashba came in I hated the band. As I am a huge Finck / Buckethead fan. That DJ ugh.

ANYHOW.

I just am wondering the dynamic of the band.

Does everyone have an equal say? 

Or is it like an employer.

Axl has never come across in my eyes as a Mike Love kind of guy. So I don't see this as a one off tour and celebration.

It is a very exciting time to be a fan of this band.

Hoping Izzy is involved. As I am a huge fan of that chap.

Anyhow, hopefully Axl doesn't get that shit flak he got at the rock n' roll hall of fame for not showing up. And those lame boos.

The reason I became a fan of the whole Chinese era. Was because Mister Rose presented himself as a guy trying to evolve the sound of the band from straight up rock to something more. Yes he did that with the Illusion's albums, to a degree. Here was a guy willing to go industrial / grunge / queen-esque and have these different genres of rock in his sound. With that fuck Ashba joining though that dream ended. As Finck was part of the foundation (yes Buckethead too). But, at least you had the Finck Tank.

Right now it is just an interesting time to be a fan of this band.

I hope Mr. Rose can share his (Brian Wilson / Robert Plant esque) talent some more with the world.

Not trying to be a kiss ass either, but, dude is talented and it would be great to hear more music.

JUST PLEASE DO NOT LET MYLES KENNEDY BE A GUEST ON ANY ALBUM, GOD MK SUCKS.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It really would be great to hear some new songs from Axl.

GNR is one of the only bands on earth for me where I've pretty much liked everything they do musically. I mean sure - as I was saying I'd do the production on Chinese differently - but I still love the songs, and of course all the older stuff too.

What worries me is the silence from Slash and Duff suggests Axl is still in charge and things are still being done his way. As we know that's a way that involves very long waits for new music.

Board footer