You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Secret show: April 1, L.A.?

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Screws have to be tightened...kinks ironed out...

That's exactly the point though.

VR's early shows didn't feature any ironing. From the preview gig onwards you hear the way matt locks with duff and you go "oh fuck yeah...that's that GNR sound". Likewise there wasn't really a "settle in" period when matt joined for the UYI tour.

Hell they actually formed VR after playing at a charity gig and going "oh shit something still happens when we get together. There's something about it"

They have a natural and amazing chemistry.

Frank is a pro so I'm sure he'll get in the pocket with Duff and Slash and it will get good....but the fact that there's kinks to be ironed makes it less than the natural magic the older line up had.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

VR's early shows didn't feature any ironing. From the preview gig onwards you hear the way matt locks with duff and you go "oh fuck yeah...that's that GNR sound". Likewise there wasn't really a "settle in" period when matt joined for the UYI tour.

Hell they actually formed VR after playing at a charity gig and going "oh shit something still happens when we get together. There's something about it"

Frank is a pro so I'm sure he'll get in the pocket with Duff and Slash and it will get good....but the fact that there's kinks to be ironed makes it less than the natural magic the older line up had.

There were no VR kinks because it was basically GNR with Weiland.

Matt had been in the studio continuously with the UYI lineup before that tour. This is a different situation. I understand comparing the two but we don't even know how long this lineup rehearsed. Frank flew to LA what....7-8 weeks ago? If we assume instant rehearsals the moment he lands and its nonstop...its not very much time. They have six albums of material plus various covers to choose from. My god they've even reworked at least two CD songs that we know of during these rehearsals. I think they deserve a bit of slack...

It must have been strange at the beginning. Frank and Richard go from hearing Slash this, Slash that for 10+ years and all of a sudden you're standing in the same room performing the songs with him.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

There were no VR kinks because it was basically GNR with Weiland.

Matt had been in the studio continuously with the UYI lineup before that tour. This is a different situation. I understand comparing the two but we don't even know how long this lineup rehearsed. Frank flew to LA what....7-8 weeks ago? If we assume instant rehearsals the moment he lands and its nonstop...its not very much time. They have six albums of material plus various covers to choose from. My god they've even reworked at least two CD songs that we know of during these rehearsals. I think they deserve a bit of slack...

It must have been strange at the beginning. Frank and Richard go from hearing Slash this, Slash that for 10+ years and all of a sudden you're standing in the same room performing the songs with him.

Slash had been in the rehearsal space since January. They had 3.5 months minimum to get ready, but the biggest improvement will happen from gig one to gig two.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

Eh I prefer Steven and Matt because I am old school all the way, but Frank is great in his own right. I think he is a good fit.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck, I am so glad that shit show is over with. Listen to those bullshit guitars. The tone is God awful and you have DJ acting a fool. I am so glad Slash and Duff are back. Frank needs to get on Slash's page. If not, Sorum will get the call. This is an audition for him too. Slash will soon become the de facto "band" leader. Fortus is good and won't be leaving. Axl isn't scared to cut the cord. See Pitman. I think Frank will improve, he better, or he will be out too. You watch as Slash's power and leverage increases... It will. Axl trusts Slash with the band/music part in a live setting. He will side with Slash if Slash bitches over Frank.

Oh just shut up already with the Frank bashing. Still butt hurt Steven wasn't there I see. roll

Slash might become the band leader AND have part of the partnership, but he's still W. AXL ROSE'S EMPLOYEE. No different than the rest. Axl owns the name and thus has executive decision.

Slash isn't going to be dictating to Axl to fire Frank, unless AXL decides it's appropriate. Axl would let the whole thing collapse in on itself before he takes orders from Slash.

That is still a very delicate fine line... if Slash wasn't already fine with Frank, he probably would've never signed up. He probably would've demanded Steven be apart of it as a contingency to signing back with Guns.

Slash isn't ever going to cross that line -- ever -- again -- with King Dick. Slash learned his lesson the last time. Axl is willing to do Guns without him. And keep it that way. Axl Rose was willing to hire DJ fucking Ashba, so he didn't have to look at Slash's face.

Don't make him do it again. He will by God.

So unless you want DJ back in the band, I suggest you start kissing Frank's toes.

Lomax wrote:

Bash me if you will BUT.
I hereby solemnly swear that Frank Ferrer is the best drummer Guns N Roses have ever had, in my opinion.

Let the haters come:

giphy.gif

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Hahaha... I would so give you a karma Lomax if you had it turned on.

I get the Matt comments, to an extent, because of Slash & Duff's past association with him, but I think people are kind of forgetting, Duff really re-joined GN'R in 2014. He was already there, even if he was an alternate to Tommy. By 2015-16, Slash simply re-joined GN'R to replace the already departed DJ & Ron.

People keep forgetting -- this is NOT a reunion. It might be called the "Not In This Lifetime" tour, and prices may have reached premium prices, but this frankly is nothing more than the Mark XI lineup of Guns N' Roses, Axl & Dizzy having the most tenure. Yes, Slash & Duff rejoined the partnership as legacy members, but still... Slash & Duff rejoined AXL'S band. I think that's kind of lost.

Matt didn't come back because GN'R already had a drummer with 10 years senority. Tommy had been one foot at the door for years, and DJ & Ron left on their own accord. The pieces fell in place for the right people to return. The rock Gods should be praised. But notice... the positions opened got filled. The positions that were NOT open, kept their people. Richard has been at rhythm guitar since 2001 (15 years) with occasional guest appearence by Izzy Stradlin. That will not change imo. Frank has been there since 2006 (10 years), and was not leaving.

All this conspiracy bullshit about how Richard got Frank in and the two of them are package and Slash & Duff blah blah blah.... it just doesn't work that way, and I don't feel Slash & Duff would get good guys (whom Rich & Frank both seem VERY good guys) fired, simply because they want their fishing buddies to get the job. Remember something, Tommy "The General" Stinson is the man who re-introduced Duff McKagan to the GN'R material, as well as taught him the Chinese licks. Not the other way around.

Not to be all PC, but I also really like the idea of GN'R have two black guys, and an Asian (i'm assuming) female in the band. Who also is from Seattle. Who's to say that Duff didn't sign off? We don't know. But it makes Guns more diverse, and maybe it helps them in 2016 get away from their age-old correlation with being nothing but "White boy rock".

The better question remains... what the fuck happened to Chris?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Bro, Slash doesn't consider himself Black or White, he is Slash. When I see Slash I don't thing, wow, look at that African American shred. Slash doesn't fit into some race card BS. Slash has been Slash all his life. I love that about him. But I get what you are saying and it is cool. I like it. But listening to Slash's parents talk and how they raised him it doesn't seem like race was ever an issue.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Bro, Slash doesn't consider himself Black or White, he is Slash. When I see Slash I don't thing, wow, look at that African American shred. Slash doesn't fit into some race card BS. Slash has been Slash all his life. I love that about him. But I get what you are saying and it is cool. I like it. But listening to Slash's parents talk and how they raised him it doesn't seem like race was ever an issue.

Slash himself said how uncomfortable he was with Axl using the word "Nigger" in One In A Million, because of his being black during the VH1 Behind The Music 12 years ago. He also addressed it in his autobiography. He also has talked about his race & ancestry in his autobiography.

So you're wrong.

Or Slash changed his perspective on it recently, and he's allowed to do that. But i'm also allowed to call him out on it.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash himself said how uncomfortable he was with Axl using the word "Nigger" in One In A Million, because of his being black during the VH1 Behind The Music 12 years ago. He also addressed it in his autobiography. He also has talked about his race & ancestry in his autobiography.

So you're wrong.

Or Slash changed his perspective on it recently, and he's allowed to do that. But i'm also allowed to call him out on it.

Yes he is half black. Yes he can relate to things blacks do and same goes for being half white. Most people think he is white! I can see that line bothering him, and his mother was black so he knows her struggles.  But if you notice he is often a political. You won't see Slash marching at a black lives matters rally or something.

Board footer