You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 76 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

TheMole wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

They played synth on every song since 2001.

m
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a fucking joke. Synth on ISE? That is cringe worthy.

What does it matter? You didn't care obviously for the last 14 years... Now it's an issue, suddenly.

I'd say that's likely because a lot of people didn't care about the band as much for the past 14 years, but now that Slash and Duff are back it's GNR again and these things do matter.

I personally don't care too much if they have someone who's barely audible bashing some keys on AFD songs, as long as I don't hear it in the mix it's all good. I get the need for a second keyboard player live for some songs (we had Teddy back in the day as well), so it's ok that she mimes a bit during songs where the keyboard isn't really featured to keep her busy. Better than sending her off stage, me thinks...

Now, if that shit was audible, that's a whole different story...

TheMole
 Rep: 76 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

TheMole wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

When will people stop mistaking scantily clad women on a stage as artists or musicians. At least Traci and Roberta added something to the music that I could easily understand.

For fuck's sake man, she's wearing sneakers, jeans and a white t-shirt. How the fuck is that scantily clad?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Me personally, I happen to think AFD > UYI
I also happen to think CD > UYI (as seperate albums only)
So for now... Frank ftw

Two problems with this:

Firstly, lets go with the premise that you are right and the CD songs are better than the UYI songs. That's highly debatable, but assuming for a moment that they are, there's no way that it would be because of the drum parts. Lets say a person like Madagascar better than Estranged, I can't possibly imagine it would be because of the drumming. Chinese Democracy is full of horrible 8 bit sounding drum loops followed by average as hell sounding forgettable irrelevant drum parts. Where's the air drum moment? For all that they redid them bunches of times while recording in the roof of a mosque or whatever it was it hasn't worked. Chinese is an album with great songs and terrible production and the drums didn't escape that issue.

Secondly, even if somehow one thinks the drum parts on Chinese Democracy were its highlight....Frank only plays on three songs. I think it's actually more like 2.5 with the drum editing going on.

So your premise that CD is better than UYI and therefore Frank is the best drummer just doesn't add up to me.


You're way over-thinking this. I'm using your logic against you. It baffles me how you arguing your point for Steven & Matt with the same logic i'm arguing FOR Frank, yet somehow when it's Frank's name & CD, somehow it's lesser of an argument, yet it's the same logic you used.


Just to get it back to the basics.

AFD > UYI
AFD > CD
CD > UYI (as seperate albums)

Use Your Illusion as a collective best-of whole?


Better than Appetite. That's right... it's the best thing Guns ever did.


jmho

TheMole
 Rep: 76 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

TheMole wrote:
Mama's Good Boy wrote:

CD is a better album than either of the UYI albums as they are.. although I think if you took all the best songs from UYI I and UYI II and made a 15 track album, it would be close. Can't deny the power of songs like November Rain and Estranged.

As someone else said on here before, CD is probably more on the level of TSI. I find either of the UYI's to be better individually than CD. Lies is closer, but I still rank it higher.

Mama's Good Boy wrote:

Frank is the best drummer for GnR as it is today. Some hardcore fans simply will never warm up to him because he's not Adler or Sorum. Beyond the nostalgia factor, there is little reason to replace Frank with either.

I've heard lots of raving about Frank's drumming, but I think most drummers will agree he's objectively a step down from Sorum. But it really doesn't matter all that much since he's only the friggin' drummer after all. As long as he gets the BPMs under control and sits on his throne comfortably while enjoying himself, he'll be more than good enough.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

You're way over-thinking this. I'm using your logic against you. It baffles me how you arguing your point for Steven & Matt with the same logic i'm arguing FOR Frank, yet somehow when it's Frank's name & CD, somehow it's lesser of an argument, yet it's the same logic you used.

But it isn't the same logic I used. I think we must be misunderstanding each other.

My point for Matt was that I believe irrespective of the song credits that the drumming on UYI is distinctive and awesome. The guy who plays the drums.

My point for Frank is that I believe that the drumming on CD is fairly bland and indistinctive.  Further, with the exception of 3 songs it isn't frank playing those drums.

Therefore I find it odd that people say Frank is the best drummer ever, as you are comparing 3 songs with adequate drumming against 3 albums of excellent drumming.

Unless the concept that he is best comes from his live performance, in which case I'd also disagree, he's great live but I don't find him particularly better than Matt, and in fact I miss some of Matt's signature sounds.

Axlin16 wrote:

Just to get it back to the basics.

AFD > UYI
AFD > CD
CD > UYI (as seperate albums)

Can you clarify - are you saying those records are superior as a whole (the complete songs) or that the drumming is better?

It's not the same thing to me. For example TWAT is one of my fav GNR songs but that's for the vocals not the drums. I could take or leave the drums. So on a drum level Right Next Door to Hell > There was a Time. BUT on overall songs I'd rate TWAT > RNDTH.

So that was my other point. If we're talking full songs not the drums specifically I don't think you can say Frank is better than Matt because CD>UYI - as (if) it's better it's because the overall songs are better. In my opinion if Matt had been drummer on CD and given those CD songs we would have better drums than we got.

misterID
 Rep: 460 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

misterID wrote:
TheMole wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

m
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what a fucking joke. Synth on ISE? That is cringe worthy.

What does it matter? You didn't care obviously for the last 14 years... Now it's an issue, suddenly.

I'd say that's likely because a lot of people didn't care about the band as much for the past 14 years, but now that Slash and Duff are back it's GNR again and these things do matter.

I personally don't care too much if they have someone who's barely audible bashing some keys on AFD songs, as long as I don't hear it in the mix it's all good. I get the need for a second keyboard player live for some songs (we had Teddy back in the day as well), so it's ok that she mimes a bit during songs where the keyboard isn't really featured to keep her busy. Better than sending her off stage, me thinks...

Now, if that shit was audible, that's a whole different story...

He's been around all these years, and this is the one thing he never complained about. He likes CD, so he says, now we're moving to a bunch of bitching for the sake of bitching cause it ain't the AFD 5.

bigbri
 Rep: 336 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

bigbri wrote:
TheMole wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

When will people stop mistaking scantily clad women on a stage as artists or musicians. At least Traci and Roberta added something to the music that I could easily understand.

For fuck's sake man, she's wearing sneakers, jeans and a white t-shirt. How the fuck is that scantily clad?

This is what I thought. And, well, she is a musician as has been said over and over. Released music before this. Not saying she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but let's just start with the basic, correct facts.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

CSS 2.0 wrote:

Responses from a large part of the GN'R fanbase (mainly at other forums, mind) over her addition to the band has been absolutely pathetic.

The "criticism" that people have put forth has no bearing on her worth as a musician but is instead solely based on the fact that she's a woman and the way she looks. It is misogynistic tripe.

I am well aware that this has been brought up a thousand times already but it really grinds my gears.

Even though I understand that a lot of you feel that she's simply obsolete and do not fall into the above category - I still cannot help to feel that perhaps your focus should instead lay on the fact that Axl Rose, Slash & Duff McKagan have reunited and just how unbelievable that is.

I never, ever thought I would live to see that. Ever.

My point being... Pick your battles and treasure what is truly important. This is not it.

Just my opinion, of course.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

A lot of the shit I've read here has been sexiest.

Like who the fuck cares how good or not good looking she is.

OBVIOUSLY... She has the talent to be up on stage.

If you're a Pitstop (positive word for Pitman) or a Pitfucker (negative word for his fans), guess what? Maybe the dude shouldn't have run his mouth and acted like he was a big part of the band. Dude was Axl's bitch plain and simple. Obviously he is out. So let's move on.

mitchejw
 Rep: 116 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

mitchejw wrote:

Ok fair enough...I didn't see her on stage because I did not recognize her....same way I didn't recognize Pittman.In fairness, I did see a picture of her. I think people over generalize the terms misogynistic, sexism or anything related to feminism.

My point was that she plays a role I don't notice or care to notice. Just like the man who played that role before her.

But now you've got me down another rabbit hole. See...here's the logic....and i see it every day.

Person 1 criticizes person 2.
Person 3 sees it happen, looks back to see who person 1 and person 2 are.
If person 1 is a man, and person 2 is a woman....all context becomes irrelevant and the criticism is immediately dismissed
Person 3 criticizes person Person 1 of your pick of the mill sexism accusations

The comment by James Lofton was of substance...and I acquiesce. I will give them a pass on 2016 and do my best to temper unfair judgements.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB