You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Lenny Kravitz on opening for GNR

misterID wrote:

Thanks to Jim at Truth.

Lenny Kravitz Talks Touring With Guns N' Roses This Summer
"I'm looking forward to playing with them and celebrating them coming back together," singer says

By Kory Grow May 18, 2016

Guns N' Roses announced some of the acts joining them on their Not in This Lifetime Tour this summer. Alice in Chains will join the group on the first few dates, from June 23rd in Detroit through July 3rd in Chicago, and Lenny Kravitz will be performing with the reunited group at their shows in Foxboro, Massachusetts (July 19th and 20th) and East Rutherford, New Jersey (July 23rd and 24th).

Kravitz is the first person to point out how unusual it is for him to be opening for Guns N' Roses. "I don't normally do gigs like this," he tells Rolling Stone. "But sometimes you've got to do things for the fun of it, for the experience. I'm looking forward to playing with them and celebrating them coming back together."

For Kravitz, the shows are also a personal reunion of sorts. "I went to high school with Slash," he says. "I've known Axl, Slash and Duff from the beginning. We all came up together, and we worked together. I wrote 'Always on the Run' with Slash and he played on 'Fields of Joy,' both on my Mama Said album."

The last time Kravitz joined Guns N' Roses onstage, the singer was one of a handful of special guests who came out during the band's Paris concert in June 1992. The rock band accompanied Kravitz on a round of "Always on the Run." "I remember that time very well because we were all staying at the Hôtel de Crillon, and we were all in Paris for a few days together," Kravitz says. "It was a lot of fun."

The song was an obvious choice for that show, because its funky riff was once considered for Guns N' Roses. "I think Slash presented it to the group and it was too funky or maybe two quirky for them," Kravitz says. "But he and I put it together and that riff ended up being a really great blend of rock & roll and funk."

Kravitz reconnected with the band when they staged their first reunion show at Los Angeles' Troubadour in April, a gig he found out about the day it happened. "I ran over there," he says. "It was exciting. I mean, come on. They're a stadium act playing a small room. The energy and anticipation in that room was crazy before they came up. It was high energy."

As for how he'll structure his set to appeal to a Guns N' Roses audience, Kravitz says it'll likely consist more of his rock material. "We're definitely going to jam and improvise and get loose, and treat it like a festival," he says. "Summertime always makes me think of festivals like the Isle of Wight, when Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix played. I love the summer, outdoor concert vibe, so we'll rock out and improvise and go deep and get psychedelic and out there."

"I haven't seen Slash since the [Troubadour] gig, but I've texted with him," Kravitz says. "I'm sure something fun and off-the-cuff is bound to happen.

Read more: www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lenny-kravitz-talks-touring-with-guns-n-roses-this-summer-20160518#ixzz491YmL3ei
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

That is a kick ass opener!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Can't decide  if I should catch his set  or continue to party.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

As a New England, and diehard AIC fan, pissed that I get stuck with Kravitz. BLS, keep partying!

But at least I saw the two in Vegas!

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

Shame since his music has been generic pop garbage since he cut his dreads off...  Was lucky to catch him before then with blues traveler, hell of a sbow back then.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Can't decide  if I should catch his set  or continue to party.

His comment about changing his set list for this situation is interesting. A bit scary actually. I am a casual fan but do like his first three albums. How many of those songs will not be performed simply because he's whipping up a more rocking set list?

If you don't like any of his hits, definitely skip it. I place him in the category of the type of artist/band where all you need is the hits.

So this tour is going to be like the Stones....different headliners throughout the tour.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Alice in Chains were competent and actually drew people from the bars to their seats in Vegas but I don't know how they'll fit a stadium audience.

I'd expect something more for such crowds and Kravitz makes sense for that.

chad4bama
 Rep: 2 

chad4bama wrote:

Does Kravitz actually have hits?  I know maybe 2 songs.  Disappointing...but at least he wasn't announced as the opener for my date...July 31 in New Orleans.  I'm hoping they bring on someone kick ass after Kravitz's run.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
chad4bama wrote:

Does Kravitz actually have hits?  I know maybe 2 songs.  Disappointing...but at least he wasn't announced as the opener for my date...July 31 in New Orleans.  I'm hoping they bring on someone kick ass after Kravitz's run.

Bammer, let me help you out since you only listen to Sweet Home Alabama, Alabama (the band), and GNR.

semi hits

Always on the Run
American Woman (The Guess Who Cover)
Are You Gonna Go My Way
Believe
Sister

Okay off the top of my head I can't think of anymore.

War Eagle.

Haha just messing.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Fuck yeah!

Alice In Chains opening night.

So excited and glad.

No offense Lenny "huge cock" Kravitz

Board footer